PDA

View Full Version : Steve Vai

Jerry H
06-23-2006, 02:00 AM
BUT!!!!!,
He fucking lost it when he left Zappa to go play guitar for DLR.

Frank Zappa was and is "GOD" of Music.

Diamond Den :)

Redballjets88
06-23-2006, 02:00 AM
he left zappa for a solo project then dave found him....fuck off

FORD
06-23-2006, 02:05 AM
No, he REALLY lost it when he left the EEAS band to play for Covercheeseball.

And Vai actually worked with John Lydon's Public Image Limited between Zappa and DLR. And there was some band called Alcatrazz, if I remember correctly...

Bill Lumbergh
06-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Jerry H
BUT!!!!!,

Thanks for that, you've completed me............

binnie
06-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Yep Alcatraz...

Didn't they have Graham Bonnet from Rainbow on vocals?

Vai, great hands, no soul.....

fryingdutchman
06-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by FORD

And Vai actually worked with John Lydon's Public Image Limited between Zappa and DLR. And there was some band called Alcatrazz, if I remember correctly...

Vai worked with Lydon in his PiL days?

I never knew....

Look at FORD...taking a break from lambasting the neo-con shitbags to pull out some interesting trivia!!!

:D

jero
06-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Saw him lost month in Brussel with Dweezil Zappa. he played his ass off!

estang74
06-23-2006, 05:55 AM
Vai, great hands, no soul..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Probably one of the most ignorant statements. Listen to Passion and Warfare. For the love of God, Ladies night in Buffalo solo on EEAS, I could go on and on but I wont because you are probably not a guitar player or a good one with that stupid statement.

ThrillsNSpills
06-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by FORD

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKJy-0xGx1c"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKJy-0xGx1c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by estang74

Probably one of the most ignorant statements. Listen to Passion and Warfare. For the love of God, Ladies night in Buffalo solo on EEAS, I could go on and on but I wont because you are probably not a guitar player or a good one with that stupid statement. [/B][/QUOTE]

No I'm not a guitar player.

But, I just don't think he plays with any real feeling.

I am a fan, and have all of his albums, but it's only because he AMAZES me. He generates lots of energy, but that's not same as emotion.

Not because I find any emotional depth in his music.

for me, the best guitar players combine technique and emotion.

For example Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I dislike Vai's music, because that's not the case.

MAPRamone
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by binnie

I find the inventiveness in his playing soulful. Most of the time people who call his playing soulless think that the only way to be soulful is to play blues licks. So his playing isn't bluesy and earthy so fucking what. When it comes to tone though i'll take CVH EVH over Vai.

MAPRamone
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jerry H
BUT!!!!!,

He didn't lose anything (Whitesnake notwithstanding) though i absolutely agree with you about Zappa.

Romeo Delight
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I have all of Vai's cd's (including Whitesnake) and I am going to have to agree with Binnie somewhat.

I never really liked his sound, but I had to have all of his music just the same because he can play. Not my favorite style. Other than DLR cd's, "Flex-able" is by far the best.

I prefer Vai's teacher, Satch.

jero
06-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Yep Alcatraz...

I know what you mean, compared to Eddie.

DavidLeeNatra
06-23-2006, 12:09 PM
one thing is for sure...if god plays videos like this he is a hagar loving homo stucked in the 80's :(

FORD
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman

I never knew....

Look at FORD...taking a break from lambasting the neo-con shitbags to pull out some interesting trivia!!!

Yeah, it was just one album. But it turned out to be one of PiL's best. They didn't tour together either, though that would have been a hell of a show. Lydon, Vai, and Ginger Baker. Producer Bill Laswell played bass on the album, but if they had any plans to extend the lineup, who knows who they might have added.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuKFivWIyzY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuKFivWIyzY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This is "Rise" from the album they recorded together. Unfortunately, only Johnny appaears in the video, and since this is the short version of the song, Vai's contributions aren't featured nearly enough.

http://www.ginger-baker.com/Images/LPs/GB_PIL_album_sm.jpg

MAPRamone
06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
I have all of Vai's cd's (including Whitesnake) and I am going to have to agree with Binnie somewhat.

I never really liked his sound, but I had to have all of his music just the same because he can play. Not my favorite style. Other than DLR cd's, "Flex-able" is by far the best.

I prefer Vai's teacher, Satch.

I used to dislike his sound too because it kinda feels "cold" but i've grown to like it but it's not for everyone. I'm also a Satch fan and i think he's a really underrated player.

Redballjets88
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman

I never knew....

no soul? ok go listen to for the love of god and tell me there is no soul in that

binnie
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I love Satch too, anyone heard his latest album?

Flying in a Blue Dream is my favorite record by him.

Wouldn't want to have to choose between him and Vai tho'

crsantin
06-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Eddie is #1 for me by far
Vai might come #2
Billy Gibbons is #3, maybe even #2

Everybody else, including Hendrix, is hit and miss with me.

jcook11
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Anyone else believe that "the karate kid" could cut heads and win against Vai?

FORD
06-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Since this thread is about Vai's career prior to the EEAS band and not Roth related, methinks Scotty should beam it over to House of Music.....

doctor roth
06-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Yep Alcatraz...

Thats bull shit. Watch steve play live and see how much soul he has. You may not like his music, but vai has soul coming out his ears.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-24-2006, 11:24 AM

I've got a "friend" (there are quote marks for a reason) who says that Vai has a lot of soul because "have you seen all the faces he pulls?"

Pulling faces has nothing to do with soul. I pull a face when I bang my toe, and I didn't do THAT with soul, I assure you.

But, yup, I agree. No soul.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by doctor roth
You may not like his music, but vai has soul coming out his ears.

I like his music and think he has no soul. "Sex and Religion", "Passion and Warfare", "Alien Love Secrets"...good albums. But, lets face it, he pulls faces without meaning it.

Terry
06-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Guy has an enormous amount of technical ability.

It always smacks of s studied approach, though. Designed to impress, and a conscious choice of notes, rather than a subconscious ability to just let it rip.

Guy could play rings around me and probably most I've heard, but in the end it really doesn't do much for me anymore. His shit was jaw-dropping around the time of EEAS, but then again back in those days I was impressed with speed and technique, to the exclusion of all else.

Don't get me wrong; the dude can play. I just have no interest in it.

binnie
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I've got a "friend" (there are quote marks for a reason) who says that Vai has a lot of soul because "have you seen all the faces he pulls?"

Pulling faces has nothing to do with soul. I pull a face when I bang my toe, and I didn't do THAT with soul, I assure you.

But, yup, I agree. No soul.

Did we just agree on music that isn't Van Halen or David Lee Roth?

I'll be listening to Queen, lots of prog and Rolf Harris next!

binnie
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
no soul? ok go listen to for the love of god and tell me there is no soul in that

I don't hear or feel any soul in that.

Just sounds like an 80's power ballad to me.

It's great music, just devoid of feeling.

MAPRamone
06-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I think Vai is more of a 'left brain' musician (Zappa will do that to you) but i just think it's an equally valid approach.

1984dlrvh12
06-25-2006, 02:00 AM
i just want to say one thing. my opinion on steve vai- great guitarist one of the best.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Did we just agree on music that isn't Van Halen or David Lee Roth?

I'll be listening to Queen, lots of prog and Rolf Harris next!

Yes, although, I just cheked the news and there's been no sightings of flying pigs and hell hasn't yet frozen over.

binnie
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, although, I just cheked the news and there's been no sightings of flying pigs and hell hasn't yet frozen over.

That's good to know.

Maybe we'll find common musical ground in the future!

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 01:25 PM
We could make a concept album about Quiche.

binnie
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
We could make a concept album about Quiche.

I think Vai will beat us to it!

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
HA!