• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

San Jose, Start Your Engines

Jun 25, 2006 - 06:15 AM

David Lee Roth to Perform at San Jose Grand Prix

David Lee Roth and Pete Escovedo will be the highlighted acts at the Canary Foundation Grand Prix of San José presented by Taylor Woodrow, July 28-30 in downtown San José.

David Lee Roth, who will be performing on the main stage located in Discovery Meadow on Saturday, July 29th from 4:00 -5:00 p.m, was the lead singer for Van Halen from 1976 – 1985. Considered by many to be one of the greatest rock bands of all-time, the group recorded seven albums beginning with “Van Halen” in 1978, which ranks as one of the all-time great debut albums in rock history. The success of the album also helped turn the band into a major arena-headlining concert draw. Roth went out on his own in 1985 and has recorded eight albums during his solo career including his smash debut "Crazy from the Heat" which featured such hits as "California Girls" and "Just a Gigilo.” Roth also hosted a nationally syndicated radio show from 2005-to the early part of 2006.

Pete Escovedo, who will take the main stage on Sunday, July 30 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and again from 3:15 – 4:15 p.m., has been a major force in the Latin music scene since the late 1960's. He has toured and performed with such acts as: Carlos Santana, Anita Baker, Boz Scaggs, Herbie Hancock, Tito Puente, Stevie Wonder, Barry White and his daughter Shelia E. Escovedo has strong Bay Area roots, having been raised in Oakland and owned night- and Jazz clubs in Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda and San Jose.

Groove Kings and Nu Day, who were featured acts last year at the inaugural San José Grand Prix, plus Kim del Fierro and Busta Groove will also be performing this year.

Commenting on the high powered musical revue San José Grand Prix Vice President and General Manager Bob Singleton said, “I am pleased to be able to announce that David Lee Roth and Pete Escovedo will be a part of the San José Grand Prix weekend. This is one more indication of our commitment to being “more than a race” and again shows that the San José Grand Prix has something for everyone.”

The following is the schedule of musical and other entertainment that will be on the main stage during the San José Grand Prix weekend:

- 1 -

Friday, July 28

11:00 -11:30 a.m. Kim del Fierro

12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Groove Kings

1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Nu Day

3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Groove Kings

4:15 – 4:45 p.m. Kim del Fierro

5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Nu Day

Saturday, July 29

8:45 – 10:00 a.m. Miss San José Grand Prix Rehearsal

10:30 – 11:30 a.m. Groove Kings

11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Kim del Fierro

12:15 – 1:00 p.m. Busta Groove

1:15 – 2:00 p.m. Nu Day

2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Groove Kings

3:00 – 3:45 p.m. Nu Day

4:00 – 5:00 p.m David Lee Roth

5:15 – 7:00 p.m. Miss San José Grand Prix Contest

(with special performance by Kim del Fierro)

Sunday, July 30

10:00 – 10:45 a.m. Groove Kings

11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Pete Escovedo

12:30 – 3:00 p.m. Champ Car Race

3:15 – 4:15 p.m. Pete Escovedo

4:45 – 5:30 p.m. Nu Day

(all times subject to change)

Also performing during the San José Grand Prix weekend will be the Doobie Brothers, who will make a special appearance at the Canary Foundation fundraiser, “Cabana,” on Saturday, July 29 at the Fairmont Hotel. Tickets for Cabana are available by calling the San José Grand Prix offices at 408-277-9470.

The San José Grand Prix, which proudly supports the Canary Foundation, is the ninth stop on the 2006 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford schedule. The Champ Car World Series features some of the greatest race car drivers in the world competing in the most exciting series in the world. Champions Sebastien Bourdais, and Paul Tracy, along with San José native A. J. Allmendinger, Mexican star Mario Dominguez and rising star Katherine Legge are among the drivers that compete in the series.

Continuing its theme from last year, “More Than A Race,” plans for the 2006 San José Grand Prix, set for July 28-30, include the addition of Freestyle Motorcross exhibitions as well as music, interactive displays, a family fun area and charity events. The three-day festival of speed, which will be contested on the significantly improved 1.5-mile, seven-turn downtown San José temporary street circuit, will draw over 150,000 spectators generating another significant economic benefit for northern California’s largest city. In 2005, the economic impact exceeded $40 million. This year, the race will be televised live on NBC with a second airing five days later on SPEED Channel. It will also be broadcast in 160 other countries thus showcasing the City of San José to viewers around the world.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • bantonelli
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Nov 2004

I'm so there!
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dave better bring some security to this gig. No telling what Sideshow Bob might do.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bantonelli
        I'm so there!

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Again, I crack myself up.

Comment

• bantonelli
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Nov 2004

"LA has a great big freeway....put a hundred down in my car...in a week, maybe two they'll make you a Star!"

DAVID LEE ROTH'S ROCKS the EARTHQUAKEN BAY AREA ONCE AGAIN - GRAND PRIX STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bantonelli
            "LA has a great big freeway....put a hundred down in my car...in a week, maybe two they'll make you a Star!"

I think it's "put a hundred down and buy a car"

LMAO

But you got it.

Let us know how the show goes.

A One-hour set.

6-8 songs?

coupla encores.

Place yer bets

Comment

Working...