Steve Vai Van Halen tunes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thefive

Steve Vai Van Halen tunes

I asked this question before and got no response in other posts.
    So now I am asking directly in a thread.

Some of you claim that Steve Vai is a great guitarist and some say you can't listen to the EEAS boots because Steve plays the VH tunes fair to bad.

I have about 6 live video EEAS concerts and I dont remember Steve playing the vh tunes badly.

Fill me in.
    thanks
    thefive
  • pardo

Steve Vai may be the whitest guitarist on the planet. All flash, not much rhythme.

If you like the way he played the Hot For Teacher riff, then thats fine - I just don't.

Steve executes licks. Edward played guitar.

Comment

• thefive

Originally posted by pardo
      Steve Vai may be the whitest guitarist on the planet. All flash, not much rhythme.

If you like the way he played the Hot For Teacher riff, then thats fine - I just don't.

Steve executes licks. Edward played guitar.
      Okay thanks for your opinion.
      thefive

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Pardo makes a good point re. 'executing licks'.

I can appreciate Vai in a general sense, as a musician, but every boot I've ever heard of the EEAS band playing classic VH sounds like stiff-ass, soulless shit.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• L.S.D.

Originally posted by degüello
          Pardo makes a good point re. 'executing licks'.

I can appreciate Vai in a general sense, as a musician, but every boot I've ever heard of the EEAS band playing classic VH sounds like stiff-ass, soulless shit.
          I thought that EEAS was better than Van Halen and that dlr made van halen though. That is what the army says......

Comment

• Calderone
            Commando
            • Jan 2004

yeah

I HATED HOW STEVE PLAY VH !!!!!!!!
            IT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT !
            TOTALLY SOULLESS !!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Brett
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Vai doesn't have Ed's feel at all. Like others said, he can handle Ed's licks, but they're stiff and lifeless.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

I concur. Steve never sounded right playing Van Halen stuff.

Sure, when I saw him live with Dave, it was cool to hear the Van Halen stuff, yet it was off.

I believe someone said before that it had no "soul." Those words couldn't be more correct.

Well said!
                I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Vai is just too much flash for me.

Eat 'Em And Smile trumped 5150 easily, but the live EEAS performances were just too much of a wankfest.

Pardo nailed it, agreed. Vai is just too much about licks for me. Technically, very accomplished. But little emotion in what he does to my ears. And that kind of playing gets old quick.

Even Eddie, for all his speed and flash, knew when to lay back and had a great sense of rhythm. Vai put a minimal amount of effort in the verse rhythms on Eat Em And Smile and it sounded like he was just marking time until the guitar solo came around, at which point he shot his wad on every one. And live it got even more self-indulgent.

Frank Zappa calls it the "weedly-weedly-wee" style of guitar playing (playing as many notes as possible, then ending the solo by ascending up the neck on the high E string). Boring
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• thefive

But do you guys think Steve is a good guitarist? I think he is real good in my opinion. Maybe he just didnt like playing Eddie stuff.
                    What would you rate Steve and Eddie in the top 100 guitarist of all time?

Just stick with Steve and Eddie.

Give them a number.

the5

Comment

• tjvhou812
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by thefive
                      But do you guys think Steve is a good guitarist? I think he is real good in my opinion. Maybe he just didnt like playing Eddie stuff.
                      What would you rate Steve and Eddie in the top 100 guitarist of all time?

Just stick with Steve and Eddie.

Give them a number.

the5
                      king edward is the best of all time period....
                      but i think vai is a top ten guitarist, just not a top five
                      Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

I think Ed has done more for the instrument in terms of sonic innovation and originality in terms of technique.

Vai gets points for technical ability, but loses points for tone (his studio recorded sound is awful).

Can't be bothered rating guitarists from #1 of all time down the line. Pointless exercise.

Plenty of country pickers and classical guitarists that can write and play stuff Eddie could never pull off. And look at Stanley Jordan. Two hands on the neck tapping out chords and melodies simultaneously.

Back in the early 80s when I first started playing, me and several of my friends who were also just beginning on the instrument used to rate guitarists and even compete with each other over who was 'the best'. Have to laugh at how absurd it was. Musicianship's not a sport.

Put it this way; Eddie is very relevant to me as a guitarist, but there were plenty of guitar players back in the 1980s (when Eddie was at his apex) and just as many today who could care less about him.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• pete
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          [B]Vai is just too much about licks for me. Technically, very accomplished. But little emotion in what he does to my ears. And that kind of playing gets old quick.
                          Where VH IS very riff based. Vai is very lyrical. He sings, screams, vomits, cums and can do get alot more out of a guitar than VH, soulfully.

I'll be posting a piece in a few minutes.

I am the VH fan from hell.

but VAI cannot be denied.

CLITS!!!!!

Comment

• thefive

Originally posted by Terry
                            I think Ed has done more for the instrument in terms of sonic innovation and originality in terms of technique.

Vai gets points for technical ability, but loses points for tone (his studio recorded sound is awful).

Can't be bothered rating guitarists from #1 of all time down the line. Pointless exercise.

Plenty of country pickers and classical guitarists that can write and play stuff Eddie could never pull off. And look at Stanley Jordan. Two hands on the neck tapping out chords and melodies simultaneously.

Back in the early 80s when I first started playing, me and several of my friends who were also just beginning on the instrument used to rate guitarists and even compete with each other over who was 'the best'. Have to laugh at how absurd it was. Musicianship's not a sport.

Put it this way; Eddie is very relevant to me as a guitarist, but there were plenty of guitar players back in the 1980s (when Eddie was at his apex) and just as many today who could care less about him.
                            Yeah I agree with you about me asking you to rank Ed and Vai.
                            I guess I wanted to know what you thought if one was much much better then the other by ranking them.

the 5

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by pete
                              Where VH IS very riff based. Vai is very lyrical. He sings, screams, vomits, cums and can do get alot more out of a guitar than VH, soulfully.

I'll be posting a piece in a few minutes.

I am the VH fan from hell.

but VAI cannot be denied.

CLITS!!!!!
                              VAI

right click on VAI, left click on "save target as" or something to that effect.

try to call VAI mechanical.

I fucking dare anyone.

Prepare to meet GOD.

Calderone, I love your views and voice. but bad call on that 1.

Comment

Working...