Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Bush Calls WSJ Disgraceful

Bush Says Report on Bank Data Was Disgraceful

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

Published: June 27, 2006

WASHINGTON, June 26 — President Bush on Monday condemned as "disgraceful" the disclosure last week by The New York Times and other newspapers of a secret program to investigate and track terrorists that relies on a vast international database that includes Americans' banking transactions.

The remarks were the first in public by Mr. Bush on the issue, and they came as the administration intensified its attacks on newspapers' handling of it. In a speech in Nebraska on Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney repeatedly criticized The Times by name, while Treasury Secretary John W. Snow dismissed as "incorrect and offensive" the rationale offered by the newspaper's executive editor for the decision to publish.

"Congress was briefed," Mr. Bush said. "And what we did was fully authorized under the law. And the disclosure of this program is disgraceful. We're at war with a bunch of people who want to hurt the United States of America, and for people to leak that program, and for a newspaper to publish it, does great harm to the United States of America."

The New York Times, followed by The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times, began publishing accounts of the program on Thursday evening.

In his remarks during a brief photo session in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Mr. Bush appeared irritated, at times leaning forward for emphasis, though he did not mention any newspaper by name.

Mr. Cheney, who had earlier said he was offended by news accounts of the financial tracking program, on Monday went a step further, singling out The Times for criticism in a separate appearance at a fundraising luncheon for a Republican candidate for Congress, Adrian Smith, in Grand Island, Neb.

"Some in the press, in particular The New York Times, have made the job of defending against further terrorist attacks more difficult by insisting on publishing detailed information about vital national security programs," the vice president said, adding that the program provides "valuable intelligence" and has been "successful in helping break up terrorist plots."

The executive editor of The Times, Bill Keller, said in an e-mail statement on Monday evening that the decision to publish had been "a hard call." But Mr. Keller noted that since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Bush administration has "embarked on a number of broad, secret programs aimed at combating terrorism, often without seeking new legal authority or submitting to the usual oversight."

He added, "I think it would be arrogant for us to pre-empt the work of Congress and the courts by deciding these programs are perfectly legal and abuse-proof, based entirely on the word of the government."

Representative Peter King, Republican of New York and the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, released a letter on Monday in which he called on the attorney general to investigate whether The Times's decision to publish the article violated the Espionage Act.

In a television interview on Sunday, Mr. King described the disclosure as "absolutely disgraceful" and said he believed that the newspaper's action had violated the statute.

In Nebraska on Monday, Mr. Cheney reminded his audience that The Times had also disclosed the National Security Agency's secret program of monitoring international communications of suspected terrorists without court warrants. Mr. Cheney said it was "doubly disturbing" that The Times printed the article and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, journalism's highest honor, for it.

"I think that is a disgrace," he said.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Re: Bush Calls WSJ Disgraceful

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

, Mr. Bush appeared irritated, at times leaning forward for emphasis, though he did not mention any newspaper by name.

LMMFAO

Is he even aware the Wall Street Journal exists?

And that they published the same story the same night?

The Chimp appeared irritated.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Re: Bush Calls WSJ Disgraceful

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Representative Peter King, Republican of New York and the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, released a letter on Monday in which he called on the attorney general to investigate whether The Times's decision to publish the article violated the Espionage Act.

Well, Peter.....

Better have Speedy Gonzalez indict the WSJ while he's at it

Mr. Cheney reminded his audience that The Times had also disclosed the National Security Agency's secret program of monitoring international communications of suspected terrorists without court warrants.

Mr. Cheney said it was "doubly disturbing" that The Times printed the article and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, journalism's highest honor, for it.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Wasn't it COMMON KNOWLEDGE following 9/11 that the administration was going to choke off the funding for terrorists??

Didn't they brag about this?

Was there really a single "terrorist" in this world who didn't know their banking transactions were being watched???

Fucking Idiots.

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

The real damage is that they named exactly and specfically the places where the monitoring was occuring, effectively making the time and money investment in the progam rendered useless and diverting the terrorists (the smart ones anyway) to use means which are even harder to detect. Which just makes the whole exercise harder. Disgraceful? Maybe, maybe not. Boneheaded and shortsighted: absolutely.

Treasonous? Not sure, but I'm leaning towards no. It's not as if they aided them directly, although they did put up a huge "danger falling rocks ahead" sign for anyone with an IQ bigger than their shoe size.

The irony here is that this is the very program the fucking Times geniuses themselves called for after 9/11. Guess they wanted to call their own shots.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
            \

The irony here is that this is the very program the fucking Times geniuses themselves called for after 9/11. Guess they wanted to call their own shots.
            No, BT

The true irony is in the fact that the NYT is the rag BushCO used to leak their pre-war propoganda to.......

as well as the name of the CIA NOC and her cover company Brewster Jennings, thus rendering it useless, and endangering lives.

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Bottom line is the pages of the NYT, being used or not, advocated for this. They are into rendering government programs useless apparently.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Liberals will defend the NYT and their Bush bashing agenda no matter what kind of danger it places American lives in.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                  Neocons will defend FAUX and their America bashing agenda no matter what kind of danger it places American lives in.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                    Liberals will defend the NYT and their Bush bashing agenda no matter what kind of danger it places American lives in.

Get a new schtick, dude.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• 4moreyears
                      Commando
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Originally posted by FORD
                      Neocons will defend FAUX and their America bashing agenda no matter what kind of danger it places American lives in.

Get a new schtick, dude.
                      After he does.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

FORD will never change. I have at least some hope for Warham.
                        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2006

Bottom line is the pages of the NYT, being used or not, advocated for this. They are into rendering government programs useless apparently.
                          True, they did, as all US citizens I'm sure expected our elected officials to do to protect our country.

BUT...the Times - and any responsible citizen - are at odds with the administration on the point of LACK OF CONRESSIONAL OVERSIGHT. David Addington and the rest of Bush Co. have taken INCREDIBLE, UNPRECEDENTED measures in securing power for the executive branch.

To call the Times treasonous is ludicrous. My suspicion it's just a ploy to get the base in a froth to make sure they turn out for the midterms.

It seems to be working on Warham at least...
                          RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            FORD will never change. I have at least some hope for Warham.

Really?

Based on what?

:confused:

I think the uglier things get with this administration, the firmer Warpig digs in his high heels.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

And the WSJ, too?

Or are you applying a double standard here?

Comment

Working...