PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen is not a surname

Hollywood Jesus
04-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Van Halen is now a brand, not a band.

The brand's richness and bullet-proof development was grown in LA between 1974 and 1977. Then from 1978 to 1985, the Van Halen brand was cemented in the world conscience.

The Van Halen brand is an attitude that was built by David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen. No matter what happens, that's the original recipe. One that still captures the most imagination and willing consumers 20 years later.

Ed, Alex, Mike and Sam are currently reaping additional rewards from this brand, which remarkably has stood the test of time and constant efforts to alter it. In fact, the inspirations for the brand's name now have the audacity to blatantly lure fans and fan'smoney with a taste of the original recipe (playing DLR tracks in promos) while blatantly stating (Sammy at least) that you "can't get this stuff no more."

Dave does understand the brand. Oh, he's ridden it too trying out some new kicks. But he remembers that Van Halen is an attitude more than a chart placement. It's about sticking your neck out there--rockin' out when people expected disco in 1978 and dancin' to old grooves when people wanted new metal, punk crap in 2003.

In fact, Dave understands the brand enough to realize that the original recipe is what fans want. It's a duty. People/fans want to hear songs from 20-25 years ago because that's what the brand demands. Anything less would be a money-grubbing slap in the face to fans of the brand.

Now, I'll admit that some people didn't experience the original recipe firsthand and believe Van Hagar is really the actual brand. Let me just remind you that every Xerox copy is a little duller and farther from the original. That's true for Van Hagar (and Dave) now.

Whoever gets closest to the original brand wins. And winning is more akin to planets alligning than it is to money made. Ultimately that's a reunion of the original line-up. Second place would be playing as many 1978-1984 songs as an promoter will allow. Who's doing that?

* Sorry to ramble. Haven't posted for a week and the shit happening here with Sammy lovers is ridiculous. They believe selling the souls of a bunch of kids from 1977 is A-OK. Eddie 1977 would kick 2004 Eddie's ass if he knew how this thing panned out.

L.S.D.
04-22-2004, 12:52 PM
ummmmm......no. Eddie is the same person. Hed kick youre ass for being such a cry baby.

pardo
04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
HJ, I had to read this post a few times befor I started to understand it. Now that I get it, I completely agree. Well said!

"Van Halen is an attitude more than a chart placement." is the best thing I've read in a long time. Good way to put it into words!

Also, I like the way you give equal credit to Dave AND Ed for developing the "brand". I think Edwards contribution to the band pre '85 gets overlooked by people around here a lot. I don't agree with much that Ed has done post '85, but befor then, he was it when it came to guitar playing, song writing and showmanship for me. Edward and Dave were peers.

Hollywood Jesus
04-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
ummmmm......no. Eddie is the same person. Hed kick youre ass for being such a cry baby.

You honestly believe that EVH doesn't miss playing his best stuff live?

I don't pretend to know Ed, but all musicians are pretty fond of their best material, especially the material that put them on the map.

It's gotta eat at Ed too that Wolfie will never see VH playing the songs that are part of the fabric of American culture.

No wonder the guy can't control his vices and thrown tantrums about kicking people in the balls. Yeah, I'd say he's pertty happy with the current set up.

BrownSound1
04-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I don't think Ed could kick anyone's ass, not in a physical confrontation anyway.

Mishar_McLeud
04-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus

You prove not bein' musician with this. None of them likes their early-written stuff.

L.S.D.
04-22-2004, 01:47 PM

I don't pretend to know Ed, but all musicians are pretty fond of their best material, especially the material that put them on the map.

It's gotta eat at Ed too that Wolfie will never see VH playing the songs that are part of the fabric of American culture.

No wonder the guy can't control his vices and thrown tantrums about kicking people in the balls. Yeah, I'd say he's pertty happy with the current set up.

Becuase you think its eds best, doesnt mean he does, he thought VH3 was his landmark album, remember?

Mishar_McLeud
04-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Becuase you think its eds best, doesnt mean he does, he thought VH3 was his landmark album, remember?
It indeed is.
Oh my, now they'll call me Hary homo :D

Ally_Kat
04-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Simple test. Go up to some kids who like rock music and ask them if they own any Van Halen cds. If they say yes, ask which albums.

Or you can just ask them to name some Van Halen tunes.

Interesting responses.

Hollywood Jesus
04-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
You prove not bein' musician with this. None of them likes their early-written stuff.

I'm a singer, but agree not much of a musician.

I do know what Van Halen music has stood the test of time. Precious little, if any, time-standing music has been written by Ed since 1983.

I still submit that it's obnoxious for a musical act not to perform their fan's, and culture's, iconic hits live. Thus, I have a hard time admiring such out-of-touch pricks.

Jesus Christ
04-22-2004, 04:23 PM

I do know what Van Halen music has stood the test of time. Precious little, if any, time-standing music has been written by Ed since 1983.

Very well said, My son.

For it was Samuel himself who hath prophecied "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time".

And verily, time hath told that they did not. For the albums with David the Chosen One have long sold better than those of Samuel the descendant of Abraham's maiden Hagar.

L.S.D.
04-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Van Halen is not a surname.

No its a last name. Eddie and Alex VAN HALEN. thier name, thier band.

L.S.D.
04-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Simple test. Go up to some kids who like rock music and ask them if they own any Van Halen cds. If they say yes, ask which albums.

Or you can just ask them to name some Van Halen tunes.

Interesting responses.

garunteed they answer 5150 or 1984. Also after this summer.......

tjvhou812
04-22-2004, 04:42 PM

eddie tore shit up on vh3....that was some of his best work since vh1

Hollywood Jesus
04-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Uh...

Surname means last name.

And the name Van Halen belongs to Warner Brothers first and foremost. It's a product brand name for one of their musical groups.

Jesus Christ
04-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Verily I say unto you that the sons of Jan do not own their name, but it is the property of Warner Brothers records, as was the case with the blasphemers Black Sabbath and likewise with Deep Purple and Fleetwood Mac, and more recently the Prince of the northern lands of Minnesota. For he did proclaim himself a slave unto the corporation and did not record for them, choosing instead to release his epistles under a letter of an unknown alphabet until his legal disputes were settled, Thank Dad I never signed a WB contract, or ye might be praying to the Messiah Formerly Known As Jesus Christ. :(

Bill Lumbergh
04-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Yeah and they wanted to call the band Rat Salad. Gee I wonder who named the band hmmmmmmmmm.........maybe this guy?!

VHLifer
04-22-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm a singer, but agree not much of a musician.

I still submit that it's obnoxious for a musical act not to perform their fan's, and culture's, iconic hits live. Thus, I have a hard time admiring such out-of-touch pricks.

couldnt agree more

VHLifer
04-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Verily I say unto you that the sons of Jan do not own their name, but it is the property of Warner Brothers records, as was the case with the blasphemers Black Sabbath and likewise with Deep Purple and Fleetwood Mac, and more recently the Prince of the northern lands of Minnesota. For he did proclaim himself a slave unto the corporation and did not record for them, choosing instead to release his epistles under a letter of an unknown alphabet until his legal disputes were settled, Thank Dad I never signed a WB contract, or ye might be praying to the Messiah Formerly Known As Jesus Christ. :(

LOL---this post friggin killed me!

BITEYOASS
04-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Well Hallelluah Jesus and his step-brother Hollywood Jesus!!! And Fuck you L.S.D.!!!!

SheAintWaiting
04-23-2004, 01:33 AM
>>You prove not bein' musician with this. None of them likes their early-written stuff.<<

I couldn't disagree more. I know a lot of guys who love throwing
their early sh** into sets, as a shout-out to the old fans and
also as in Slayer's case, so they can still play the fast stuff.
Some of my own personal favorite songs to play to this day are
ones I wrote when I was 14.

Anyway, since when is there a viable litmus test to tell whether
a person is truly a "musician" or not. I mean, technically, James Hetfield is still a musician too. And he *can't* play his old stuff.
Perfect example of "playing music doesn't make you a
musician": Sam Hagar. But then, his old stuff sucked too
so it's a moot point.

And for the more anal (she said "anal" hehhehheh,) of us,
technically in Holland Van Halen *isn't* a surname. But
van Halen is. The "v" would not be capitalized.

S.A.W.