X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hollywood Jesus
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

Why DLR fans hate Sammy

The man does not respect DLR, Eddie Van Halen or Vintage VH.

I went to the 5150 show and watched Sam berate Dave for 90 minutes. Dumb bastard. He had a chance to win us over and failed miserably.

He disrespects Ed (and fans) by refusing to sing DLR tunes. Ed wrote most of the damn music, you egomaniac. Again, he had a chance to ease transition. Nada.

My Green Bay Packers got back to form in the '90s because Mike Holmgren (coach), Ron Wolf (GM) and Bret Favre (QB) embraced the Packer legends instead of running scared from them. It helped restore the franschise.

Sammy continues to take a large dump on an American classic. Some fans get old and forget, some never knew and others of us still hold him accountable.
    "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
    "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.
  • Sgt Schultz
    Commando
    • Mar 2004

You've nailed it dude.

Packers rule.

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

Frankly, how long can this thread appear before everybody gets bored?
      I don't like Hagar singing Roth era tunes because (I admit) he can't cover them properly. Sammy singing Dave tunes is like DLR Band guitarist trying to play Eddie solos, futrhermore the guys have enough post-85 material to play 2h+
      Even if Sammy would sing the classic Van Halen tunes you'd still be whinning and cursing like you've been doing for 20 years.
      'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• L.S.D.

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus

I went to the 5150 show and watched Sam berate Dave for 90 minutes. Dumb bastard. He had a chance to win us over and failed miserably.

He disrespects Ed (and fans) by refusing to sing DLR tunes. Ed wrote most of the damn music, you egomaniac. Again, he had a chance to ease transition. Nada.

My Green Bay Packers got back to form in the '90s because Mike Holmgren (coach), Ron Wolf (GM) and Bret Favre (QB) embraced the Packer legends instead of running scared from them. It helped restore the franschise.

Sammy continues to take a large dump on an American classic. Some fans get old and forget, some never knew and others of us still hold him accountable.

Sammy has never ever disrespected old van halen. He may not want to load the setlist with it, but would you? Aslo, maybe he berated dave in '86, but there was never a mention of dlr by hagar at a van halen show after that tour.

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
          Sammy has never ever disrespected old van halen. He may not want to load the setlist with it, but would you? Aslo, maybe he berated dave in '86, but there was never a mention of dlr by hagar at a van halen show after that tour.

C'mon now, LSD. Even you have your sane moments.

Of course Sam should have loaded the setlist with classic Van Halen. Slam dunk in '86 and even thereafter--probably 1/3 anyway. When you join a team, you wear their uniforms. Any VH singer Ed hired in '85 should have been thrilled to sing those legendary songs.

Sammy berated Dave in '86 and so I quit going. I know he did it again during the Sam & Dave tour. Why would I believe he went all Swedish neutral for 15 years in between?
          "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2004

Here's how Sammy might have tried to assimilate DLR fans in '86 and to this day.

"As most of you know, Diamaond Dave couldn't be here tonight. (maybe Ed laughs) But his spirit lives in some of these kick-ass tunes. Here's one that requires a bottle of JD in one hand and someone else's ass in the other!"

Then you launch into "Bottoms Up!," stabilize the fansbase a little and find a way to retain the magic of songs like this while forging ahead.

Comment

• L.S.D.

C'mon now, LSD. Even you have your sane moments.

Of course Sam should have loaded the setlist with classic Van Halen. Slam dunk in '86 and even thereafter--probably 1/3 anyway. When you join a team, you wear their uniforms. Any VH singer Ed hired in '85 should have been thrilled to sing those legendary songs.

Sammy berated Dave in '86 and so I quit going. I know he did it again during the Sam & Dave tour. Why would I believe he went all Swedish neutral for 15 years in between?

Well I never ever heard him on stage after 1986 ever say a word bad about him. He didnt have to. They had moved on, on both sides. I agree Sammy couldve sang more of the material, but at first the band wanted to establish themselves as a new band, even you should know that. And as time went on, they had thier own material to play. But I do think Sammy shouldve played more, but what else is ther to say about that....

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
                Head Fluffer
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
                I agree Sammy couldve sang more of the material, but at first the band wanted to establish themselves as a new band, even you should know that. And as time went on, they had thier own material to play.
                Hell, we're close to going out for a beer here! Agreed they had to grow and form their own identity. I just don't care for the path.

I'd like to see the boys play at least one song off each of the first albums. I also feel that Sammy put too much distance lyrically between himself and DLR.

For my money, Sammy's solo stuff beats his VH stuff. I was glad they played Can't Drive 55 for awhile and I like Mas Tequila pretty loud.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Great post HJ. When Bon Scott died, Brian Johnson embraced his legend and songs. To this day Brian constantly brings up Bon, and mentions how important he is to Ac/Dc's legacy. Spammy was the aggressor from day one, due to his feeling inferior to the Dave era. However Ac/Dc made Back in Black following Scotts death. Van Hagar did nothing but cheese ballads, so Spammy never had a chance with us real rock fans.

Comment

• tjvhou812
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

hey i like sam, and im a dlr fan
                    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
                      Frankly, how long can this thread appear before everybody gets bored?
                      I don't like Hagar singing Roth era tunes because (I admit) he can't cover them properly. Sammy singing Dave tunes is like DLR Band guitarist trying to play Eddie solos, futrhermore the guys have enough post-85 material to play 2h+
                      Even if Sammy would sing the classic Van Halen tunes you'd still be whinning and cursing like you've been doing for 20 years.
                      Amen, Bro......Hagar singing the classics absolutely SUCK. I'd rather hear Yoko Ono sing Panama. Has anyone ever heard Hagar's version of You Really Got Me on the CD Right Here, Right Now? They released it on a mini disc and aptly called it "Insta-Vomit". Hagar, quit while you're just an overweight, undertalented piece of human garbage. You wait til you hear what we'll call you AFTER the tour!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Everybody got used to ridin' in a hot rod, then a mini van showed up.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Never thought Sammy was anything special before, during or after Van Halen. Some of his solo stuff pre Van Hagar was so-so.

Ed, Sam and the other two would have been better off from the beginning just not even mentioning the split on stage or in print, period. None of them are capable of saying anything funny or quotable in an interview beyond complaints, unlike Roth who could gave them all verbal bitch slaps laced with humor.

Ed was getting soft towards the end of Roth's tenure. Hagar never had a hard edge to begin with. The two of them took a legacy that was as solid as granite and turned it into mush.

Personally, I'm glad Roth left. The thought of him sticking around and trying mesh with the fluff Eddie's been spooning out is scary. Can you imagine Dave singing over music as insipid as, say, "Love Comes Walking In"?
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Personally, I'm glad Roth left. The thought of him sticking around and trying mesh with the fluff Eddie's been spooning out is scary. Can you imagine Dave singing over music as insipid as, say, "Love Comes Walking In"?
                            That's the thing, If Dave had stuck around Ed wouldn't have started fingerboarding pantyliners. The highbrow ying to the lowbrow yang or whatever the fuck fits in menstruating the music biz. With the pit boss gone, the carnival goes out of business.....yeah, leave it at that. It's out of business.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Howd' you like to be a fan of Cheap Trick and have some durtee fat troll like Phil Anselmo from PANTERA get up there and gronk on the mic for ya? That's a good Van Hagar analogy.

Thanks.
                              Thankyeewuwoo..

Comment

Working...