Mr. Vengeance
07-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Better than the lame cover for Dance of Death

Full Bug
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Better then DOD for sure....

sadaist
07-05-2006, 01:01 AM
One of the few bands that still cares about album covers. At the height of metal in the 80's, album covers were a lot of the time better than the music inside. Do you think it changed when we moved to compact discs? I mean since the medium was so much smaller and people didn't seem to care as much?

binnie
07-05-2006, 02:55 AM
That is a cool cover.

Controversial, unlike DOD

Reminds me of the Maiden that used to piss off everyones parents!

Mr. Vengeance
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Of course, Slayer decided to go with this calm, unoffensive cover for their upcoming release....I'm sure the head of Mother Teresa won't offend religious types at all...ha!

indeedido
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see all the soldiers as Eddie instead of skeletons. Or at least more Eddie like.

Vinnie Velvet
07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah, its better than the cover for DOD.

However, Eddie is too small and is not much the focus of the artwork as he was on previous albums.

My take on it.

sadaist
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Slayer's album covers have been done to death. Same old shit everytime. "I know, let's have a picture of Hell with bodies and flames and a few heads floating around". If Slayer really wanted to shock everyone, they would come out with a gospel album.

Hardrock69
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I discovered by accident what the inspiration for the DOD cover was....

A Vincent Price film based on an Edgar Allen Poe story called the "Masque Of The Red Death". Vincent played this "Lord" of some castle, a real evil fucker, and everyone in the Castle and immediately surrounding it has to do as he says or suffer a horrifying fate...

So anyway, there is this scene where he is having a "Masquerade Ball" at his castle, and it blew my mind when I saw it...as it almost looked identical to the Maiden DOD cover....

Mr. Vengeance
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Slayer's album covers have been done to death. Same old shit everytime. "I know, let's have a picture of Hell with bodies and flames and a few heads floating around". If Slayer really wanted to shock everyone, they would come out with a gospel album.

I know what you mean....Their most "shocking" album cover was probably God Hates Us All, which was simply the Bible riddled with bullets. I think it's the only of their releases that the record company had to censor.

bastardog
07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Is still Derek Riggs doing the artwork (painting, cartoons or whatever you want to call it)?

Vinnie Velvet
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bastardog
Is still Derek Riggs doing the artwork (painting, cartoons or whatever you want to call it)?

No.

He hasn't done a Maiden cover in years.

I believe Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was his last.

Mr. Vengeance
07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
The newer Maiden covers seem to be very CG looking. I think someone with a computer creates them. They don't have the charm of the old covers like Killers.

bastardog
07-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
No.

He hasn't done a Maiden cover in years.

I believe Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was his last.

He made 'No Prayer for the Dying' and also I'm sure he made
'A real live/death one'

after those, I don't know. I was thinking He also made 'Futureal' but not sure.
Anyway.......his art is missing in Iron Maiden covers.

Dave's Bitch
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Of course, Slayer decided to go with this calm, unoffensive cover for their upcoming release....I'm sure the head of Mother Teresa won't offend religious types at all...ha!

that cover is fucking shit.looks like a mentaly disturbed kid has drawn it

Mr. Vengeance
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
that cover is fucking shit.looks like a mentaly disturbed kid has drawn it

Pretty much looks like a lot of the other Slayer covers that came after Show No Mercy. With the exception of Undisputed Attitude and God Hates Us All.

WACF
07-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Reminds me of a "Weird War" comic book cover.

I like it!

bueno bob
07-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Oooooops....totally missed this thread before posting the picture in the "rate Maiden album covers" thread....

Oh well...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Looks alright.

But, what aboot the music?

bueno bob
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Looks alright.

Song lengths...most/all look to be 7-9 minute epics...

So...do the math...either it's going to be grate or it's going to be lame...

Flip a coin...

Vinnie Velvet
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Looks alright.

From what I've read on the official website, the album is described as 'intense and very heavy'.

So, it sounds promising.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Larvelly.

Looking forward. Although, not as much as the upcoming WHO album (well, Daltrey and Townshend).

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Song lengths...most/all look to be 7-9 minute epics...

So...do the math...either it's going to be grate or it's going to be lame...

Flip a coin...

And we wait with bated breath...

Actually, I do think that some of Maiden's epics get a bit boring.

And I'ma prog fan...

The_KiD
07-06-2006, 08:58 AM
When does this album hit stores?

KiD

Vinnie Velvet
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
And we wait with bated breath...

Actually, I do think that some of Maiden's epics get a bit boring.

And I'ma prog fan...

True.

There are some songs of off DOD that I can't stand.

Way too long acoustic intros leave you wondering when the song will actually pick up the pace.

Mr. Vengeance
07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
When does this album hit stores?

KiD

Maiden website says early Sept.

bueno bob
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Well...I will be there day one, as usual...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2006, 04:11 AM
So will I.

WACF
07-07-2006, 01:35 PM
LOL....some thing do not change...I will be there too.

Tiki-Tom
07-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, it's better than the last one. That's for sure. My old lady, on the other hand (she's a die-hard Maiden fan) thinks it sucks the hair off orangutan balls. She hates 'em all since Derek Riggs quit doing their covers. He actually did a portion of the art for "Brave New World" but that led to a dispute between him and the band. Now he refuses to ever do another cover for them.

bueno bob
07-08-2006, 03:49 AM
I've actually known Maiden fans who lost interest in the band after Derek Riggs moved on...

It's amazing...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I know people who don't care aboot a Yes album without Roger Dean's artwork.

It's awfully silly, don't you think?

Mr. Vengeance
07-08-2006, 12:32 PM
It really is when you consider that since the CD age came about, the artwork on albums is rendered quite useless. I was a huge vinyl guy. I held out as long as I could NOT buying cds, simply because I think that CDs were merely a way for the recod companies to sell you music at twice the price. Remember, when cds first hit the market, they cost you about $20-25 (Canadian), while vinyl was still going for about $10-$12. But, where the companies get you, is they RESELL you albums you already own. I'm guilty of it too. I have purchased a lot of my old faves on CD, even though I have them on perfectly well preserved vinyl. Why? The car. You have to have tunes in the car. I have the 6 CVH on vinyl for the house and on cd for the car.

But, I still have fond memories as a kid of sitting in the living room, giant headphones on, listening to my records, while looking at the album covers for hours. Now most kids download thier music to freaking Ipods and don't even SEE an album cover. Sad. They'll never enjoy music like I did.

Hellraiser!
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
And the b-sides of Iron Maidenīs new album are 4 covers...

Deep purple - Space Trucking
ZZ top - Tush
Thin Lizzy - Angel of death
Focus - Hocus Pocus - with Nicko doing the vocals

Mr. Vengeance
07-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hellraiser!
And the b-sides of Iron Maidenīs new album are 4 covers...

Deep purple - Space Trucking
ZZ top - Tush
Thin Lizzy - Angel of death
Focus - Hocus Pocus - with Nicko doing the vocals

That actually sounds pretty rocking.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hocus Pocus!

HA!

Can't wait to hear that.

The_KiD
07-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
It really is when you consider that since the CD age came about, the artwork on albums is rendered quite useless. I was a huge vinyl guy. I held out as long as I could NOT buying cds, simply because I think that CDs were merely a way for the recod companies to sell you music at twice the price. Remember, when cds first hit the market, they cost you about $20-25 (Canadian), while vinyl was still going for about $10-$12. But, where the companies get you, is they RESELL you albums you already own. I'm guilty of it too. I have purchased a lot of my old faves on CD, even though I have them on perfectly well preserved vinyl. Why? The car. You have to have tunes in the car. I have the 6 CVH on vinyl for the house and on cd for the car.

But, I still have fond memories as a kid of sitting in the living room, giant headphones on, listening to my records, while looking at the album covers for hours. Now most kids download thier music to freaking Ipods and don't even SEE an album cover. Sad. They'll never enjoy music like I did.

I have the same memories.. Not to mention a nice analog rig will always sound better than digital. It just gets the music right.. Iit was always so much fun to purchase an actual album and open it up. Kiss always included posters and Kiss Army stuff which was cool...

This being said as I listen to tunes via iTunes being streamed wirelessly through an Apple Airport Express...

Times they have changed...

KiD

Tiki-Tom
07-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Helloween already did an awesome cover of Hocus Pocus. I doubt even Maiden could top it.

Hellraiser!
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Helloween already did an awesome cover of Hocus Pocus. I doubt even Maiden could top it.

Itīs just a fun version, with Nicko McBrain doing the vocals!!!