PDA

View Full Version : Any Volkswagen enthusiasts here?

Ellyllions
07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I need some experienced advice on how to store one in the event that I can't sell it....

Nickdfresh
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
What year is it? I have a 79-rag top...

Ellyllions
07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
'74 Super.....she's an amazing little friend.

I sure wish I could keep her. She's my fatchick! LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Mrschris/dside.jpg

Nickdfresh
07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
For storing it, change the oil (use 15W-40 HDEO or "diesel oil" if you only drive it if it's hot out/10W-30 in cooler months), pump up the tires to about 50psi, fill the gas tank up and add a fuel stabilizer following the directions...

This is for relatively short term storage... (I store mine over the winter and hardly drive it in summer.) For long term storage, you may want to consult a VW site or message board...

I have a friend that bought a 74' Karmen-Ghia that hasn't run since the 1980s, and the engine will probably still work...

Ellyllions
07-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I've posted on a VW message board but they haven't answered me yet. Don't know if it's a "clique" thing or what...

Thanks for the advice! I need all I can get. I've sunk over a grand into the engine and if I can't sell it for what I have in it, I'm going to store it. I want to do her right...ya know?

Nickdfresh
07-10-2006, 01:14 PM
She looks nice! No rust down south...

Also, disconnect, or even take out, the battery...

You could probably sell it on E-Bay in a cinch with photos like that...

What are you asking?

Ellyllions
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
The only rust down South is the floor pans. Other than that the rest is original with no rust at all. It only has 75,000 on the engine and even though the previous seller signed/notarized to that effect, I had it gone through from bumper to bumper by a certified Volks mechanic who agreed that the Odometer was accurate.

I'm asking $3800.

The absolute only thing is that the previous owner took out the back seat and made it into a speaker shelf. No "boomin'" sound but still he did modify the interior of the car to suit his needs.