• Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Valerie Plame to sue Cheney/Rove

Jul 13, 3:53 PM EDT

Former CIA Officer Sues Cheney Over Leak

By TONI LOCY
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CIA officer whose identity was leaked to reporters sued Vice President Dick Cheney, his former top aide and presidential adviser Karl Rove on Thursday, accusing them and other White House officials of conspiring to destroy her career.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Valerie Plame and her husband, Joseph Wilson, a former U.S. ambassador, accused Cheney, Rove and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby of revealing Plame's CIA identity in seeking revenge against Wilson for criticizing the Bush administration's motives in Iraq.

Several news organizations wrote about Plame after syndicated columnist Robert Novak named her in a column on July 14, 2003. Novak's column appeared eight days after Wilson alleged in an opinion piece in The New York Times that the administration had twisted prewar intelligence on Iraq to justify going to war.

The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger in early 2002 to determine whether there was any truth to reports that Saddam Hussein's government had tried to buy yellowcake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon. Wilson discounted the reports, but the allegation nevertheless wound up in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.

The lawsuit accuses Cheney, Libby, Rove and 10 unnamed administration officials or political operatives of putting the Wilsons and their children's lives at risk by exposing Plame.

"This lawsuit concerns the intentional and malicious exposure by senior officials of the federal government of ... (Plame), whose job it was to gather intelligence to make the nation safer and who risked her life for her country," the Wilsons' lawyers said in the lawsuit.

Libby is the only administration official charged in connection with the leak investigation. He faces trial in January on perjury and obstruction-of-justice charges, accused of lying to FBI agents and a federal grand jury about when he learned Plame's identity and what he subsequently told reporters.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald told Rove's lawyer last month that he had decided not to seek criminal charges against Rove.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Seems like she might have a hard time proving damages in this case.

But it's good to see Cheney/Rove in the hot seat, for now at least.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

That's what I gather. Doubt this has a snowball's chance...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The case for damages should be made on behalf of the whole Brewster Jennings false "brass plate" company as well as all of the CIA agents and contacts whose identities were exposed when Novakula printed the names, after the Rove/Cheney link.

Of course, due to the secretive nature of the CIA, this probably won't happen. But the possibility is very real that someone might have died because of this careless partisan leak.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

How could she sue Rove over a leak when he was never criminally charged?

Is this supposed to be a civil case?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Of course it's a civil case.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Of course this all hinges on whether you believe she was 'covert'.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                Which, in turn, hinges on whether you believe in reality, or in Busheep spin.

It's been long established fact that Plame was a "NOC" assigned to the fictional "company" Brewster Jennings, which pretended to be an energy company in order to acquire intelligence at the source in the central Asian theater.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I don't believe in spin, I believe in facts.

I haven't seen any clear-cut proof submitted by anyone that she was under deep cover when her identity was 'outed'.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

I don't believe in spin, I believe in facts.

I haven't seen any clear-cut proof submitted by anyone that she was under deep cover when her identity was 'outed'.
                    No, but you have listened to people repeating "she was not undercover anyway" over and over again and seem to believe that.

Nor have you reviewed all of the testimony presented in the case.

Are we not at "war"? How can you take the possible outing of an agent working on WMD cases so lightly? Is that because the finger is pointed at Republicans?

And why is Novak the Traitorous keeping one of the names to himself?
                    Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I doubt that's the issue at this point.

But in any case, the "company" she worked for as her cover did in fact employ other CIA agents that were undercover...

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

How could she sue Rove over a leak when he was never criminally charged?

Is this supposed to be a civil case?
                        U dumb fak, Warham.

And, I mean dat affectionately.

It's because her case is a CIVIL suit, bb.

And it has more than a snowballs chance, b/c civil suits don't require as much evidence as is needed in a CRIMINAL prosecution.

Damn.

Carry on.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is there such thing as a "criminal" suit?

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Without anyone being charged for a crime her chances of winning judgement are very slim.

It's just an attempt at twisting the blade they think they have in the side of this administration.

The Brown family won a civil suit against O.J. Simpson, but he was charged with the crime and tried for it.
                            His not being found innocent OR guilty made it possible for that case to succeed.

Plame has a bit more of an uphill battle to fight to win this case.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                              Without anyone being charged for a crime her chances of winning judgement are very slim.

It's just an attempt at twisting the blade they think they have in the side of this administration.

The Brown family won a civil suit against O.J. Simpson, but he was charged with the crime and tried for it.
                              His not being found innocent OR guilty made it possible for that case to succeed.

Plame has a bit more of an uphill battle to fight to win this case.
                              You are wrong on a number of levels but it doesn't matter. I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

Working...