PDA

View Full Version : The MC5

OfficerJimmy
07-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Any fans of this great band here? Musically they sucked, but they kick ass anyway.

I just bought a vinyl copy of Kick Out the Jams and was freaking ecstatic when I dropped the needle on the title track and heard the full scream of "IT'S TIME TO KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKERS!" instead of the normally censored LP version.

MAPRamone
07-16-2006, 02:59 AM
I was always hearing about how great this band was. The main thing was always the energy. After i heard some of their stuff i had to agree that the energy was great. I just wish they had used some of that energy to write better songs.

MAPRamone
07-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Musically The Stooges were better.

Redballjets88
07-16-2006, 03:01 AM
i love them both, i like the stooges a little more but i love the whole "proto-punk" thing the stooges dolls and mc5 are awesome, but i cant stand the velvet underground

MAPRamone
07-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i cant stand the velvet underground
I like many of their songs, but overall they're overrated. Lou Reed gets annoying fast! John Cale is cool as fuck though.

Redballjets88
07-16-2006, 03:17 AM
i especially hate nico

OfficerJimmy
07-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Was there any reason for having Nico with them besides the fact Andy Warhol was having sex with her?

MAPRamone
07-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by OfficerJimmy
Was there any reason for having Nico with them besides the fact Andy Warhol was having sex with her?

Warhol was gay. I've never heard anywhere that he had sex with Nico, or any woman in fact.

BITEYOASS
07-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I got you're MC5 right here, and the stooges also:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36501&highlight=Detroit+music+thread

rustoffa
07-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MAPRamone
Musically The Stooges were better.

I dunno....Wayne Kramer 'was' a genius. Iggy would disappear for a month after an advance, and the rest of The Stooges would sit @ their momma's house waiting for the next move. At least Kramer insisted on the band fucking up as a unit.

"Funhouse" is a grate record.

OfficerJimmy
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by MAPRamone
Warhol was gay. I've never heard anywhere that he had sex with Nico, or any woman in fact.

I know next to shit about Warhol so I'm probably wrong. I think someone told me that he slept with Nico though.

Anyway, someone in the Velvet Underground had to be sleeping with Nico, right?

Loons The Great
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Jim Morrison slept with Nico...she was the blonde in the elevator in The Doors by Oliver Stone...

I dig the MC5--Rage Against The Machine and Jeff Buckley did amazing versions of Kick Out The Jams...

The White Stripes cover a couple of Stooges and MC5 tunes...

Ize always dug Down On The Street by Them Stooges...

bastardog
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
All this shite sounds like a cheap teenage movie (Mean Girls for example)