• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Taylor in negotiations to fight reality show star

July 12, 2006

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Jermain Taylor's next defense of his middleweight title will likely be against reality television star Sergio Mora, although Taylor might have to wait until Mora fights one more tuneup.

The Arkansas-Democrat Gazette, citing Taylor's promoter Lou DiBella, reported Wednesday that negotiations are ongoing between Taylor and Mora -- star of "The Contender," an NBC reality series featuring aspiring fighters. The fight will probably take place in Los Angeles or Las Vegas on Dec. 2 on HBO pay-per-view.

But first, Mora (18-0) has agreed to fight Eric Regan on Aug. 25. If Mora wins, Taylor would be next -- although DiBella said he'll watch the Fernando Vargas-Shane Mosley fight this weekend and that Vargas could be an opponent for Taylor if Mora loses in August.

Taylor (25-0-1) is coming off a draw with Winky Wright last month in Memphis, Tenn. Taylor had said he wanted his next fight to be in the Little Rock area, but DiBella has said a bout against Mora would have to be out west, where Mora has a good following.

Yahoo!
  • DlocRoth
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Oh shit.....

The Latin snake will get fucking pummeled....

He's got no power.

I like his skills, but Taylor will kill him.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• redblkwht
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
      Oh shit.....

The Latin snake will get fucking pummeled....

He's got no power.

I like his skills, but Taylor will kill him.
      But, hes a thinking boxer..ala sugar ray leonard.
      with the right game plan, he could pull it off..he is that talented, IMO

EUAS

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

taylor by ko in the 4th, mora can dodge him for 3 but it wont be pretty
        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Mora is a smart fighter...

but this game will be much bigger than he's used to.

He's like Leonard...but not Leonard. No way.

and he can be hit by punches...he leaves himself open at times...as his last fight...where he got knocked down by a good punch...

if Taylor gets in a shot like that...Mora won't be getting up...

If Mora stays on his feet...he could win...

but he won't...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Redballjets88
            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

thats why i say 4 rounds, mora can dodge for awhile but eventually taylor will land and i dont think mora can take that hit
            R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

On that note, did anybody see Sugar Shane beat the dogshit out of Fernando Vargas? Hit him at will....

A rebirth for Mosely? He's baaaaaack.......
              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Mosely dominated Vargas. Thinking he is just made for Shane though. Mosely is slick enough to give anyone a problem, no one is afraid of his punch though, which is tough to overcome.

Mora is a crafty boxer who changes from orthodox to southpaw at will. But his caliber of competition isn't at all what Taylor's has been and this will simply be a money grab.

I don't give Mora a chance at all.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

I really don't think Mosley is done by any stretch...

I think he went through a few years of thinking he could run his own show...and clashing with his Dad perhaps????

I think if Sugar Shane can keep the business on the right side of things...he could be a dominant fighter. No, not an explosive punch...but quick.
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

IMO though...Vargas is done. Punch drunk and done.

Comment

• diamondD
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

As biased as I am, JT would kick his ass. Hate that it won't be in Little Rock tho. Not so sure why they are worried about his following when LR will turn out to see JT defend his title after all the other fights we've supported him with. They know the arena will be filled will Hog calls.
                      Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Well...Mora's from LA right?

I think the fight would be more lucrative in LA...but...I see your point...a sure thing in Little Rock.

Makes no sense to me that they would fight the town of the challenger when Mora, the contender and all, doesn't carry the clout that Taylor does.

but what the fuck do I know.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

You're right though bro.

It's about the L.A. market and the gate there.

Little Rock would be little draw, at least compared to Los Angeles.

I don't doubt he will eventually have a fight there if he keeps the title.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Yeah...but the question is will there be a big gate there for that fight?

I actually THINK there would be.

Comment

• diamondD
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

That's actually the main problem with this area and boxing. There's not enough average income to pay for the high priced tickets associated with a major fight. That Winky fight in Memphis looked crowded, but they were discounting ticktets to get people in there. And Memphis is only 2 hours away from LR and on the border of Arkansas.

He's gonna have to fight a tomato can unfortunately to land a fight here.
                              Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Working...