• Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Supersonics sale finalized to a group of investors from Oklahoma City

Sonics' future in Seattle in doubt after sale
    Posted: 29 minutes ago

The Seattle SuperSonics will announce the majority of the team has been sold to a group of investors from Oklahoma City, according to an influential NBA source who spoke with members of the existing ownership group.

The announcement is set for a press conference Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET.
    Neither side would confirm the sale, however, those sources from within the Basketball Club of Seattle said it is a $350 million agreement with the group from Oklahoma City. And although the announcement will say the new owners will try to make a go of it in Seattle, they could move the team to Oklahoma City as soon as the 2007-08 season. Even though the lease at KeyArena runs through 2010, the city has claimed it loses money every time the Sonics play — so some sort of buyout could be made in the near future.

Sonics vice president of communications Karen Bryant confirmed there will be a press conference Tuesday, but would not elaborate on the details.

The Sonics, the flagship professional franchise in Seattle dating back to 1967, have been losing tens of millions of dollars since present majority owner Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz purchased the team from The Ackerley Group in 2001, due in part to an unpalatable lease with the city of Seattle. Led by president and minority owner Wally Walker, they have been trying desperately to get the city and state to approve renovations to the 17,072-seat KeyArena, which had a $70 million facelift in 1995 and was renamed in lieu of the dilapidated old Seattle Center Coliseum.

But after NBA commissioner David Stern joined Schultz and Walker at a special session of the state legislature in Olympia last winter in an attempt to get support from the state of Washington, the wheels began to turn. Rumblings from groups in San Jose and Orange County came into the picture. The general consensus was the Sonics would stay, but eventually move to the east side of Lake Washington in affluent Bellevue, where the majority of the season ticket base resides anyway. Stern also said at an All-Star Game news conference that the league would allow the Sonics to relocate if the team was not given the money it requested.

Nonetheless, the Sonics have had resistance from all sides in search of financial help, and the bloated ownership group — which has more than 60 investors — has been answering cash calls of late.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma City sold out 35 games last season while providing the New Orleans Hornets with a de facto home in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destruction in the Big Easy. The NBA had already announced the 2008 NBA All-Star game would be played in New Orleans, and has encouraged owner George Shinn to make every attempt to make a go of it in New Orleans despite a struggle with sponsorship and attendance even before the devastation of Katrina.

That success explains why Stern may have brokered the deal between the group from Oklahoma City, essentially delivering the Sonics as a payback for being the cordial and successful host. Especially since the city of Seattle and the state of Washington have showed no indication they would like to help the Sonics financially.

The Sonics won the NBA title in 1979 and lost in the NBA Finals in 1996. But they have been in the playoffs just twice since Schultz bought the team after he promised they would win a title within five years. The Starbucks corporate office is located south of downtown Seattle.

Veteran NBA writer Mike Kahn is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Good.

First on the agenda?

FIRE Wally Walker.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Any truth to the rumor they're changing the name to.....

wait for it....

The Seattle SoonerSonics.

LMAO

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Fuck Howard Schultz in the ass with his own coffee roaster.

Wally Walker? Hell no, they won't fire him. That team raping cancer will keep his job no matter what. They should have fired him years ago.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Well...I know they won't be called...

but no fucking way am I saying it out loud...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

It's a lock.

They're leaving town.

And taking the Storm with 'em.

Great, now we'll have 2,000 lesbians walking the streets with nothing to do.

Oh well. I personally wrote off the NBA years ago.....

Now all we'll have up here is The Jail Blazers

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
              ..Who might be moving to Vancouver.

Wait, thats hardly a move at all ,so either way your safe.

Hell, as long as you still have The Seahawks. Thats all that should matter.
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Fuck Howard Schultz in the ass with his own coffee roaster.

Please don't mistake that burned bat guano for coffee

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

Shit, How Good Seriously is the coffee up in Space Needle Ville anyway? Does it indeed live up to the hype? Or is that again another myth that Seattle has a coffee shop on each corner?
                  Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I never really liked Starfucks. Hell, I got a Starfucks gift card I haven't even used up yet.

Batdorf & Bronson blows them away anyhow. Not that I drink much coffee anymore.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Ya, they'll "make a go of it" alright

There is nothing worse than a lame duck franchise, take my word for it.

What motivation do the owners have to field a good team?

This will suck for next year. It is bad for the game. What other way do you move teams though?

In many ways it would be best if they just moved now.

Still, if place gets sold out, how could they move?

Fans could still decide, but guaranteed owners will be doing their best to fuck situation up.
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's all fucking EGO bullshit.

The Sonics want their own stadium because the Mariners got one and the Seahawks got one.

Even though the Mariners and Seahawks demands were based on the complete renovation of Key Arena in the first place.

At least the Mariners, at the time, were playing worthy of a team that received such a generous gift from the public.

The Seahawks extortion and attempt to move to California was cancelled at the last minute when Paul Allen stepped in and bought the team.

That can't happen here though. Allen already owns the Trailblazers, so I'm resonably sure that NBA rules don't allow a second team. Especially in the market right next door to his current one.

Bill Gates has his money tied up in his foundation, so not likely for any help there either.

Guess it comes down to convincing the Oklahomos that the team would do better here. And clearly they want a team, so even that's unlikely.

Admittedly, I'm a fair weather Sonics fan, and rarely pay attention to the NBA at all until the playoffs. But this extortion politics thing still pisses me off. It's not like Mr $4.00 cup of coffee needs the money.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• jcook11
                          Commando
                          • Sep 2004

It's a lock.

They're leaving town.

And taking the Storm with 'em.

Great, now we'll have 2,000 lesbians walking the streets with nothing to do.

Oh well. I personally wrote off the NBA years ago.....

LMFAO....2,000 lesbians with nothing to do.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I was laughing today when a local sports talk radio station replayed an interview with former Grizzlies GM (appointed by NBA) now working in NBA head office.

In it he defende his choice not to draft (or later trade) for Steve Nash who eventually went 15th overall. I can buy that. He was still unproven.

But, after Steve showed he was a true point and played with some authority behind Jason Kidd, he was available. There was talk of a trade for our pick (Antonio Daniels ).

What a dipshit! It's not like Vancouver is like Philadelphia, with hundreds of "local boys".

Nash is the only Vancouver or even Western Canadian to make it. The franchise was struggling with players turning their noses up at the city, drowning their sorrows in a dozen Heineken upon being traded.

Here was a proven, legitimate NBA point guard who wanted to come here who would have sold 5,000 season tickets at least by himself.

Fucking useless GMs running their franchises into the ground by not keeping in touch with the market.

Give NASCAR credit for setting the example in that regard.
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Little Texan
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              Well...I know they won't be called...

but no fucking way am I saying it out loud...
                              The Oklahoma City Supersonics? Or,

The Oklahoma City Supersooners, or

The Oklahoma City Supersoonics

Comment

Working...