• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Bush says suck-it to cancer victims/destroys U.S. science

Bush vetoes embryonic stem-cell bill

Wednesday, July 19, 2006; Posted: 3:35 p.m. EDT (19:35 GMT)

Bush meets with his intellectual equivalent Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Wednesday used his veto power for the first time since taking office 5 1/2 years ago, saying that a embryonic stem-cell research bill "crossed a moral boundary."

The bill, which the Senate passed Tuesday in a 63-37 vote, would have loosened the restrictions on federal funding for stem-cell research.

House Republican leaders have said they would try for an override vote on the measure, but it's unlikely to pass, lacking the two-thirds majority needed in each chamber.

"This bill would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others," Bush said Wednesday afternoon. "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect. So I vetoed it."

Attending the White House event were a group of families with children who were born from "adopted" frozen embryos that had been left unused at fertility clinics.

"These boys and girls are not spare parts," he said of the children in the audience. "They remind us of what is lost when embryos are destroyed in the name of research. They remind us that we all begin our lives as a small collection of cells."

The measure, which the House of Representatives passed in May, allows couples who have had embryos frozen for fertility treatments to donate them to researchers rather than let them be destroyed.

Bush said, "If this bill were to become law, American taxpayers would, for the first time in our history, be compelled to fund the deliberate destruction of human embryos, and I'm not going to allow it."

In August 2001, Bush announced that his administration would allow federal funding only for research on about 60 stem-cell lines that existed at the time. Researchers have since found that many of those lines are contaminated and unusable for research.

Scientists say stem cells could be a renewable source of replacement cells and tissues to treat Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, spinal cord injuries, diabetes, strokes, burns and more.

The issue has split the Republican Party, with Bush siding with the Catholic Church and social conservatives against the GOP's more moderate voices. (Watch how the issue pits Bush against some Republicans -- 1:30)

The Senate bill's principal sponsor, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, who recently survived a brush with cancer, was joined by Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, a physician who argued that Bush's policy is too restrictive.

"I am pro-life, but I disagree with the president's decision to veto the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act," Frist said in a statement. "Given the potential of this research and the limitations of the existing lines eligible for federally funded research, I think additional lines should be made available."

Also in a statement, Lawrence T. Smith, chairman of the American Diabetes Association, called the veto "a devastating setback for the 20.8 million American children and adults with diabetes -- and those who love and care for them."

Opponents argue that other alternatives, such as adult stem cells, are available. Two companion bills -- one to promote alternative means of developing stem-cell lines from sources such as placental blood and another to ban the commercial production of human fetal tissue, also known as "fetal farming" -- passed the Senate in 100-0 votes.

On Tuesday evening, the House approved the "fetal farming" bill 425-0 but didn't pass the measure promoting alternative stem-cell sources when backers failed to achieve the two-thirds majority that House rules required. The vote on the alternative-sources bill was 273-154.

Bush signed the "fetal farming" legislation and urged Congress to fund alternative research.

"I'm disappointed that the House failed to authorize funding for this vital and ethical research," he said. "It makes no sense to say that you're in favor of finding cures for terrible diseases as quickly as possible and then block a bill that would authorize funding for promising and ethical stem-cell research."

A House GOP aide said that the leadership would bring the funding bill back to the floor at another time under a different set of rules that would require a simple majority to pass the measure.

CNN's Dana Bash and Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.
  • frets5150
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

So what else is new again he Fucks something else up. I hope he gets brain cancer Oh wait Chimp does not have a brain. Then any type of cancer will have to do.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Chimp and Ben "what's a Democrat?" Nelson can both go straight to fucking Hell.

Even the usual DLC suspects came out in favor of this one. Hillary, Lieberman, DiFi the Likud Warmonger.... only Ben Nelson decided to be a chickenshit asshole. And of course the 37 morons from the hard right wing, who would pass laws saying "masturbation is murder" if they could get away with it.

Can Catkiller get 4 of his fellow Klansmen to flip over for the veto-proof majority?

I'd like to think so, but I doubt it.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Ellyllions
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

This is imporant research for sure. I'd love to have a cure for diabetes myself. Because one day the odds are that I'll have it sine my father and grandfather both have/had it.

Could it be that this could turn money back into the economy by making to funded by private companies? Because whomever releases the drugs from this research are going to be super mega rich in a very short amount of time.

Just trying to think outside the box...
        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
          This is imporant research for sure. I'd love to have a cure for diabetes myself. Because one day the odds are that I'll have it sine my father and grandfather both have/had it.

Could it be that this could turn money back into the economy by making to funded by private companies? Because whomever releases the drugs from this research are going to be super mega rich in a very short amount of time.

Just trying to think outside the box...
          Nah, if this was all about the money, Frist would have opposed it, because his family owns the largest corporate hospital chain in the country.

And the issue here isn't drugs, but the ability to manipulate cells in the human body. Stem cells start out with a "generic" blueprint. They aren't really anything until they are programmed. In an embryo that is implanted in the womb, this programming comes from nature, but science is making great progress in programming these cells themselves to the point where you could arguably consider growing organs in a petri dish. Like a brand new pancreas for someone who is diabetic, for example.

The so called "pro-lifers" don't have a leg to stand on here. These embryos are "leftovers" from in vitro fertilization procedures, which would otherwise be thrown away anyway. It's not a matter of "killing babies" and not even comparable to abortion.

It's clear why Chimp opposes this research. His family has been pro-death for generations. Even when Chimpy's own sister died of cancer as a child, Poppy & Babs went golfing the next day, rather than have a funeral for the child.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            It's clear why Chimp opposes this research. His family has been pro-death for generations. Even when Chimpy's own sister died of cancer as a child, Poppy & Babs went golfing the next day, rather than have a funeral for the child.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Bush says suck-it to cancer victims/destroys U.S. science

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Bush meets with his intellectual equivalent Tuesday.
              Don't insult that kid like that! His intellect is much greater than that of Bush, even at his young age!

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Didn't you know that Bush only believes in taking lives (pointless Iraq war), not saving them (stem cell research)!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Biomedical Science is going to be huge in the coming years.

Since China makes everything these days then the US should be all over this for her economy.

Don't worry about the cures and breakthroughs in medicine though. The less superstitious countries will make them instead and then sell them to you. If you have any money left by that point...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Biomedical Science is going to be huge in the coming years.

Since China makes everything these days then the US should be all over this for her economy.

Don't worry about the cures and breakthroughs in medicine though. The less superstitious countries will make them instead and then sell them to you. If you have any money left by that point...
                    Yeah, I can see it now......

Do it yourself home stem-cell therapy kits, made in China, sold at Wal-Mart (except in "Red" states where prohibited by Sharia law)
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                      Head Fluffer
                      • May 2005

This is the main reason, in my mind, that this sorry ass 'president' has to go....Stem cell research is a fucking no-brainer.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The only way countries in the West will be able to compete with China and India is in knowledge rich technical clever stuff.

The USA is tying one hand behind her back with this. The multinationals won't give a fuck, they'll just set up all their research labs in Europe.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

What a total sack of shit!
                          Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• blueturk
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

"This bill would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others," Bush said Wednesday afternoon. "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect. So I vetoed it."

Yes, it's MUCH better to take innocent human life because you have a personal grudge to settle.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by blueturk

Yes, it's MUCH better to take innocent human life because you have a personal grudge to settle.
                              Whenever Bush (Beast 666) mentions "innocent human life" he's talking about white people.
                              Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

Working...