PDA

View Full Version : Monster Mystery Solved After 60 Years

Matt White
07-23-2006, 04:41 PM
By JEFF KLINKENBERG, AP

CLEARWATER, Fla. (July 22) - Sixty years ago this summer, something scary happened on the beach. A monster emerged from the Gulf of Mexico and wandered around in the dark.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/06/01/20060723131109990004

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/07/20060723131209990001Signorini's tracks, using these 30-pound molds, created a sensation. Scientists speculated they were left by a giant salamander or penguin. Source: AP

The Clearwater Monster didn't hurt anyone, but left tracks, lots of them, discovered the next morning on the sand.

The tracks looked like nothing anyone had ever seen. They weren't the kind of tracks left by dinosaurs, but they were large, about 14 inches long and 11 inches wide. They featured a narrow heel and three long toes. The tracks were more birdlike than reptilian, though not entirely birdlike. They were a dispatch from an unknown world.

The news made the papers. The news made the radio. The monster was the talk of Clearwater. A few citizens stepped forward to announce they had seen something mysterious on the beach that night, something alien, and if you didn't believe them, why, you could jump in a lake.

Clearwater was a modest town of 15,000. The war was over. Yankees who had discovered Florida during military training moved into little bungalows and started having kids. Only the very rich had air conditioning. But anybody could chill for a few hours at the picture show while enjoying "The Big Sleep" starring Bogey and Bacall.

Clearwater was a sleepy place, something right off a postcard - the perfect stomping ground for the monster.

The Clearwater Monster was clever. The fiend left tracks, inflamed imaginations, then vanished. Just when people stopped thinking about him, he crept out of the surf again.

This time he knocked over a lifeguard stand and left hair or feathers or something unearthly on wooden pilings. He went on a rampage. The Clearwater Monster walked the beach at Indian Rocks. He visited the waterfront of Sarasota. He rounded the Pinellas peninsula, headed north, bypassed the St. Petersburg waterfront and kept going until he found a place to leave tracks on the sand next to the Courtney Campbell Causeway.

He got the rampaging out of his system. He laid low for the next year.

In 1948, the creature showed up about 100 miles north of Pinellas County. A beachcomber found tracks near the mouth of the Suwannee River.

"He's loose again!! wrote St. Petersburg Times columnist Dick Bothwell, never afraid to employ an exclamation point or a few exclamation points in a good story.

Scientists were interrogated about the monster.

One said, "It couldn't be real. Another thought the tracks might have been left by a giant salamander.

"Plaster casts were made of some of the tracks, Bothwell wrote, "and it was estimated by some that the beast if beast it was might have weighed some 2,000 pounds.

It was left to Ivan Sanderson, a self-taught zoologist, author and WNBC radio commentator, to render an intelligent opinion. As the flash bulbs popped he studied the tracks, furrowed his brow, did some measuring. He was photogenic, a Douglas Fairbanks for the beach set, with slicked-back hair, a pencil-thin mustache and wardrobe that all but announced "Adventure! Only an ascot could have improved his look.

"Definitely not a hoax," Sanderson announced. The tracks were so deep and wide, he opined, that only something heavy and tall could have made them.

A giant penguin was his theory.

On a recent afternoon in Clearwater, Tony Signorini answered the door of his house. He recalled moving to Clearwater after World War II. His new boss was Al Williams, a practical joker.

"Back in, I want to say 1946, though it could have been '47, Al gets his hands on a National Geographic. There was a picture of dinosaur tracks. Al said, 'You know, we could have fun with this."'

It's still in Signorini's garage.

"We made them in the shop," he said, looking at the weird boots. "They were plaster at first, but you couldn't make a good track with plaster. It just didn't sink in the sand deep enough to look authentic. We went to this blacksmith shop and poured lead in our molds. Each track weighed 30 pounds. We bolted black high-top gym shoes to each track.

"Al and I rowed out to the beach. I put on the shoes. I jumped out of the boat in shallow water. I was young then, about 25 or so, and much stronger than I am now, an old man. I had to kind of swing my legs out to the side and then forward to get going. Somehow I didn't break my legs. I left deep tracks about 6 feet apart. I made this big loop from the surf, up the beach, and then back into the water to the boat.

So Tony Signorini is the famous Clearwater Monster?

"Yes. We were surprised to read in the papers that people had seen the monster because nobody was on the beach that night. We got a kick out of that."

Did anybody ever tell on you?

"Not that I know of. I'm sure the police chief knew it was us, but he never said anything. My wife, Elsie, knew, because I'd go out about 10 o'clock at night and come back around 2 o'clock in the morning all covered with sand.

She thought it was funny. And she knew there were worse things a man could be doing than making monster tracks.

What about the rest of your life?

"Well, Al died in 1969. I took over Auto Electric. Elsie and I had four kids, they grew up, they're all good kids. My Elsie died a few years ago on account of her lungs. I've had two heart surgeries, but I'm OK now, just a little slower. I stay busy. I volunteer at Morton Plant Hospital twice a week. I have volunteered 3,000 hours at the hospital over the years."

Do they know at the hospital that you're the Clearwater Monster?

"I don't think so. They probably never heard of him."

Do they know about the monster at your church, St. Cecelia's?

"I doubt it."

Would the Eucharistic minister from St. Cecelia's like to leave some monster tracks on Clearwater Beach?

"Sure, I'll go, though somebody will have to carry the monster shoes. They're too heavy for me now that I'm an old man. We'll go to Sand Key, but I have to tell you, it's not like it used to be. There's lots of people and buildings now."

Sarge's Little Helper
07-23-2006, 04:41 PM
By JEFF KLINKENBERG, AP

CLEARWATER, Fla. (July 22) - Sixty years ago this summer, something scary happened on the beach. A monster emerged from the Gulf of Mexico and wandered around in the dark.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/06/01/20060723131109990004

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/07/20060723131209990001Signorini's tracks, using these 30-pound molds, created a sensation. Scientists speculated they were left by a giant salamander or penguin. Source: AP

The Clearwater Monster didn't hurt anyone, but left tracks, lots of them, discovered the next morning on the sand.

The tracks looked like nothing anyone had ever seen. They weren't the kind of tracks left by dinosaurs, but they were large, about 14 inches long and 11 inches wide. They featured a narrow heel and three long toes. The tracks were more birdlike than reptilian, though not entirely birdlike. They were a dispatch from an unknown world.

The news made the papers. The news made the radio. The monster was the talk of Clearwater. A few citizens stepped forward to announce they had seen something mysterious on the beach that night, something alien, and if you didn't believe them, why, you could jump in a lake.

Clearwater was a modest town of 15,000. The war was over. Yankees who had discovered Florida during military training moved into little bungalows and started having kids. Only the very rich had air conditioning. But anybody could chill for a few hours at the picture show while enjoying "The Big Sleep" starring Bogey and Bacall.

Clearwater was a sleepy place, something right off a postcard - the perfect stomping ground for the monster.

The Clearwater Monster was clever. The fiend left tracks, inflamed imaginations, then vanished. Just when people stopped thinking about him, he crept out of the surf again.

This time he knocked over a lifeguard stand and left hair or feathers or something unearthly on wooden pilings. He went on a rampage. The Clearwater Monster walked the beach at Indian Rocks. He visited the waterfront of Sarasota. He rounded the Pinellas peninsula, headed north, bypassed the St. Petersburg waterfront and kept going until he found a place to leave tracks on the sand next to the Courtney Campbell Causeway.

He got the rampaging out of his system. He laid low for the next year.

In 1948, the creature showed up about 100 miles north of Pinellas County. A beachcomber found tracks near the mouth of the Suwannee River.

"He's loose again!! wrote St. Petersburg Times columnist Dick Bothwell, never afraid to employ an exclamation point or a few exclamation points in a good story.

Scientists were interrogated about the monster.

One said, "It couldn't be real. Another thought the tracks might have been left by a giant salamander.

"Plaster casts were made of some of the tracks, Bothwell wrote, "and it was estimated by some that the beast if beast it was might have weighed some 2,000 pounds.

It was left to Ivan Sanderson, a self-taught zoologist, author and WNBC radio commentator, to render an intelligent opinion. As the flash bulbs popped he studied the tracks, furrowed his brow, did some measuring. He was photogenic, a Douglas Fairbanks for the beach set, with slicked-back hair, a pencil-thin mustache and wardrobe that all but announced "Adventure! Only an ascot could have improved his look.

"Definitely not a hoax," Sanderson announced. The tracks were so deep and wide, he opined, that only something heavy and tall could have made them.

A giant penguin was his theory.

On a recent afternoon in Clearwater, Tony Signorini answered the door of his house. He recalled moving to Clearwater after World War II. His new boss was Al Williams, a practical joker.

"Back in, I want to say 1946, though it could have been '47, Al gets his hands on a National Geographic. There was a picture of dinosaur tracks. Al said, 'You know, we could have fun with this."'

It's still in Signorini's garage.

"We made them in the shop," he said, looking at the weird boots. "They were plaster at first, but you couldn't make a good track with plaster. It just didn't sink in the sand deep enough to look authentic. We went to this blacksmith shop and poured lead in our molds. Each track weighed 30 pounds. We bolted black high-top gym shoes to each track.

"Al and I rowed out to the beach. I put on the shoes. I jumped out of the boat in shallow water. I was young then, about 25 or so, and much stronger than I am now, an old man. I had to kind of swing my legs out to the side and then forward to get going. Somehow I didn't break my legs. I left deep tracks about 6 feet apart. I made this big loop from the surf, up the beach, and then back into the water to the boat.

So Tony Signorini is the famous Clearwater Monster?

"Yes. We were surprised to read in the papers that people had seen the monster because nobody was on the beach that night. We got a kick out of that."

Did anybody ever tell on you?

"Not that I know of. I'm sure the police chief knew it was us, but he never said anything. My wife, Elsie, knew, because I'd go out about 10 o'clock at night and come back around 2 o'clock in the morning all covered with sand.

She thought it was funny. And she knew there were worse things a man could be doing than making monster tracks.

What about the rest of your life?

"Well, Al died in 1969. I took over Auto Electric. Elsie and I had four kids, they grew up, they're all good kids. My Elsie died a few years ago on account of her lungs. I've had two heart surgeries, but I'm OK now, just a little slower. I stay busy. I volunteer at Morton Plant Hospital twice a week. I have volunteered 3,000 hours at the hospital over the years."

Do they know at the hospital that you're the Clearwater Monster?

"I don't think so. They probably never heard of him."

Do they know about the monster at your church, St. Cecelia's?

"I doubt it."

Would the Eucharistic minister from St. Cecelia's like to leave some monster tracks on Clearwater Beach?

"Sure, I'll go, though somebody will have to carry the monster shoes. They're too heavy for me now that I'm an old man. We'll go to Sand Key, but I have to tell you, it's not like it used to be. There's lots of people and buildings now."

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Coyote
07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
"And I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for those nosy kids..." :D

jcook11
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sarge's Little Helper
Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on. [/QUOTE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH It's a giant monster run for your lives run for your liv.........

Panamark
07-25-2006, 05:36 AM
I want a pair !

Matt White
07-25-2006, 07:26 AM
HA!!!

THat would be BRILLIANT!!!

Scare the neighbors!!!!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-25-2006, 07:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Bigfoot_of_Florida

Matt White
07-25-2006, 07:40 AM
"According to the story, two students at Clearwater High School were bored, and decided to play a prank. After watching an episode of the TV show My Three Sons in which an elephant's foot umbrella stand is used to make fake elephant tracks and fool people into thinking there was an elephant on the loose, they decided to make a large bird's foot in shop class. They then regularly took the foot to Clearwater Beach late at night to make the tracks. There was never any attempt to fake a full body for the monster, nor to attempt to fake photographs of it. The various descriptions from various sightings were products of the public imagination or outright lies."

THat's some funny shit.........

Imagine laughing aboot it with yer buddies for all those years....and the tools that had "seen" it!!! LOL

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
What a story to tell to your grandkids though!