X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigE
    Full On Cocktard
    • May 2004

Whay has Dave never put out a live CD?

I cannot figure what is the deal with Dave never putting out a live cd or dvd. It just seems that for the guy that is by far the single best front man ever that it would be logical to put one out for the fans. I don't think anyone needs a reunion. I think Dave has focused too long on that idea. His band is way better than Van Halen could be at this time. Eddie is way too far gone. Mikey is with Sammy and who cares about Alex. So this seems like the best time for a live dvd/cd if there not going to release any old footage. Dave does such a limited tour that there is a huge amount of people that cannot get to the venues that he plays at. Now is the time!
  • Calderone
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

Maybe he is lazy...
    Maybe the VHSONGS are not allowed to a DLR RELEASE
    I guess that's the fact

Comment

• Calderone
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

and i forgot...a major label to support it

Comment

• Northern Girl
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
        Maybe he is lazy...
        Not hardly.
        Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

He could do a solo retrospective...cuntplete with a smear campaign:

"The Solo Years: Live Without A Drunk"

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
            Banned
            • Mar 2005

maybe because he can't sing.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by ritetoolforjob
              maybe because he can't sing.
              The only record he sucked MAJOR ass on was Diamond Dave. You can't deny his voice on pretty much anything else.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

This is a good and valid question. I am surprised nobody has ever brought this up.

Someone probably has...I just never noticed.

Certainly a live DVD from the EEAS Tour would kick holy fucking ass.

It would also make Ed sob a little louder about how Dave is making him look like bad....

**SOB**

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

What is "Whay"?

It is not in the English language....

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
                    The only record he sucked MAJOR ass on was Diamond Dave. You can't deny his voice on pretty much anything else.
                    ever since he discovered the new octave on yflm he hasn't been the same...he either has to talk sing real low or go up to the shit strained nuts in a vise octave. he has lost the cool range he had on the old albums and even then he had trouble pulling it off live...ex little guitars or secrets.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by ritetoolforjob
                      ever since he discovered the new octave on yflm he hasn't been the same...he either has to talk sing real low or go up to the shit strained nuts in a vise octave. he has lost the cool range he had on the old albums and even then he had trouble pulling it off live...ex little guitars or secrets.
                      I agree. He was disgusting on yflm.

Comment

• BigE
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • May 2004

I agree that cd sucked, but right now he is doing a fucking great show so why not put out a dvd with the current line up. I believe the ship has sailed on Van Halen but this line up is the shit.

Comment

• Calderone
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2004

Its a big ??? for me why he started to sing like that around that time
                          he lost the high scream and added that "new octave" thing
                          and he use it ever since,his voice turned a bit nasal
                          but sometimes he can sing like the old times ! DONT PISS ME OFF its a good example,and i love his voice on STAY WHILE THE NIGHT IS YOUNG,maybe he need someone with taste on the voice,some coach to tell him what sounds good and what sounds bad
                          what you think ?

Comment

• steve
                            Sniper
                            • Feb 2004

posted: 07-20-2006 at 10:54 AM
                            BALTIMORE SHOW REVIEW: Profile Pm Email Search Buddy IP

Let me preface this review by saying that I saw DLR play in 99 at MCI Center, 2000 at Nissan Pavillion, 2001 in Philly, 2003 at 9:30 club in DC and Richmond, and on the Sam and Dave Tour (6 times). All those shows were great, and I think a lot of that was due to the fact that, after the whole Cherone debacle, DLR was out to prove himself. He really worked his voice back into shape and played off the resentment to put on really great performances.

Before the Baltimore show I was a bit worried. Having heard a few mp3 snippets from 2005, I thought Dave might come out a bit lazy without resting his voice or really trying to sing. Furthermore, it seemed like Dave was trying to sing in his head voice (instead of from his chest) again based on what I heard on Strummin W/ The Devil – and I’m honest enough to say that when Dave sings like that it doesn’t sound good.
                            The NYC review in the New York Times the day before sounded promising, but I still wasn’t sure.

I was very pleasantly surprised. Not only did Dave sing great, he was moving around more than any time I saw him since the 2001 Philly show. He did an assortment of spin kicks, linear-type kicks, and punches. I believe he has stopped doing the toe-touch off the drum risers – after all, the landing is hard on the knees and at 51(52?) you’ve got to conserve the cartilage. (Heck, I’m 30 and I can start to feel the ole’ joints aching when I don’t stretch before some pickup basketball!) Dave gave the people what they came for:
                            -A filling of classic VH
                            -Athletics to match the music
                            -The shit-eating grin & maniacal facial expressions
                            -Fake arguments with the lighting crew (“these people paid good money for this show, fuckhead – don’t turn off the lights!” (crowd cheers)).
                            -Tight, professional, fun band (Jimmy De Grosi isn’t as impressive as Luzier, but he’s still a great drummer and looked like he was having a ton of fun. Brian Young played well as usual in addition to stealing swigs of DLR’s jack daniels.
                            -A random comment about the Israel-Hezbolla War while he had a young woman’s hand on his spandex enclosed, circumcised crotch (“that’s why we’re gonna win this war, honey”(crowd cheers))

The audience (a good amount of people in their 20s there mixed in with mostly 30 and 40 somethings) ate it up. In fact, I think the fun yet professional level of the show surprised a vast majority of them who (perhaps) thought would be down and out after the whole failed radio show detour.

Which leads me to the “DLR’s backseat therapist” portion of this review. Bottom line: after the radio show falling out Dave is obviously out to prove that when he’s in his domain (singing classic VH) no one can top him. His voice sounded smooth from the beginning, he sang in full chest voice and he pulled off a ton of “real” screams (even a one that lasted a good 5 seconds or so) (aka: using the harmonic pitch he has left instead of breathing in air like the fake “Filthy Little Mouth” album screams). On Dance the Night Away he sang the high parts on the harmonies, and on Panama he did the octave up screams on “I’ll get her—aa!”).
                            Like I said above, I’ve been to some DLR shows - this was the best I’ve heard him sing.

Comment

• steve
                              Sniper
                              • Feb 2004

I think Dave hasn't done a live album with his own band over the past ten years because it would be pretty damn anti-climactic. All this clammering for all these years for a classic VH reunion, and then DLR puts out a live album of him and his band???
                              Perhaps if VH never gets together he'll do it, but until then, he probably figures - with something that has been talked about to the point of classic rock masturbation, why let little cat out of the bag taht is left.

Comment

Working...