PDA

View Full Version : Specter prepping bill to sue Bush

ODShowtime
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Specter prepping bill to sue Bush

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 45 minutes ago

A powerful Republican committee chairman who has led the fight against President Bush's signing statements said Monday he would have a bill ready by the end of the week allowing Congress to sue him in federal court.

"We will submit legislation to the United States Senate which will...authorize the Congress to undertake judicial review of those signing statements with the view to having the president's acts declared unconstitutional," Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said on the Senate floor.

Specter's announcement came the same day that an American Bar Association task force concluded that by attaching conditions to legislation, the president has sidestepped his constitutional duty to either sign a bill, veto it, or take no action.

Bush has issued at least 750 signing statements during his presidency, reserving the right to revise, interpret or disregard laws on national security and constitutional grounds.

"That non-veto hamstrings Congress because Congress cannot respond to a signing statement," said ABA president Michael Greco. The practice, he added "is harming the separation of powers."

Bush has challenged about 750 statutes passed by Congress, according to numbers compiled by Specter's committee. The ABA estimated Bush has issued signing statements on more than 800 statutes, more than all other presidents combined.

Signing statements have been used by presidents, typically for such purposes as instructing agencies how to execute new laws.

But many of Bush's signing statements serve notice that he believes parts of bills he is signing are unconstitutional or might violate national security.

Still, the White House said signing statements are not intended to allow the administration to ignore the law.

"A great many of those signing statements may have little statements about questions about constitutionality," said White House spokesman Tony Snow. "It never says, 'We're not going to enact the law.'"

Specter's announcement intensifies his challenge of the administration's use of executive power on a number of policy matters. Of particular interest to him are two signing statements challenging the provisions of the USA Patriot Act renewal, which he wrote, and legislation banning the use of torture on detainees.

Bush is not without congressional allies on the matter. Sen. John Cornyn (news, bio, voting record), R-Texas, a former judge, has said that signing statements are nothing more than expressions of presidential opinion that carry no legal weight because federal courts are unlikely to consider them when deciding cases that challenge the same laws.

ODShowtime
07-24-2006, 09:08 PM
time to put your money where your mouth is gw

ELVIS
07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
This is the first and last time we will hear of this...

thome
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
P atient and steady with all he must bear,
R eady to meet every challenge with care,
E asy in manner, yet solid as steel,
S trong in his faith, refreshingly real.
I sn't afraid to propose what is bold,
D oesn't conform to the usual mould,
E yes that have foresight, for hindsight won't do,
N ever backs down when he sees what is true,
T ells it all straight, and means it all too.
G oing forward and knowing he's right,
E ven when doubted for why he would fight,
O ver and over he makes his case clear,
R eaching to touch the ones who won't hear.
G rowing in strength he won't be unnerved,
E ver assuring he'll stand by his word.
W anting the world to join his firm stand,
B racing for war, but praying for peace,
U sing his power so evil will cease,
S o much a leader and worthy of trust,
H ere stands a man who will do what he must

FORD
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
This is the first and last time we will hear of this...

You never know. Specter's just had a brush with death, and this stem cell thing really pissed him off, for obviously personal reasons. I don't claim to know Arlen's health status, but if he knows his days are numbered, he might have a couple cards up his sleeve that could make the BCE a bit uncomfortable.

He was on the Warren Commission, remember? ;)

thome
07-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Yep, He probably would kill a Baby to stay alive, one more day.

Stem cells, keeping pieces of shit alive, one baby at a time.

How about this, Fuk Spector and his sucking life, sucking up my air attitude.

If your backing this fukstick your really grasping for straws.

Next thing your gonna tell me is Ted Kennedy sacrifices himself for the
betterment of Mary Joe's everywhere.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38714

Did you miss this?

Cathedral
07-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by FORD
You never know. Specter's just had a brush with death, and this stem cell thing really pissed him off, for obviously personal reasons. I don't claim to know Arlen's health status, but if he knows his days are numbered, he might have a couple cards up his sleeve that could make the BCE a bit uncomfortable.

Just the fact that he may have 'cards' up his sleeve and has yet to throw them down in the name of the American People is enough to destroy MY confidence in his ilk.

And it should make YOU question your side as well.

This, "I gotta secret" type of politics disgusts me completely.
When will the People finally be treated with respect?

Dare i say, NEVER?

jcook11
07-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Warren commission, FORD......Yeah thats right Arlen "the magic bullet" Specter. I thought you were one of us that believed in a conspiracy theory and you are gonna defend Arlen?

jcook11
07-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by thome

Did you miss this?

Thanks thome, this isn't the first time you made me laugh so fucking hard I spit an adult beverage on my computer screen. :eek: :eek: :eek:

FORD
07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by jcook11
Warren commission, FORD......Yeah thats right Arlen "the magic bullet" Specter. I thought you were one of us that believed in a conspiracy theory and you are gonna defend Arlen?

I'm not defending him at all. But the reason he's kept his mouth shut about what he really knows about JFK's murder is that witnesses to that crime were dropping faster than Lebanese children back in the day. But now if he's looking at death anyway, I sincerely hope he does the right thing.

FORD
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Just the fact that he may have 'cards' up his sleeve and has yet to throw them down in the name of the American People is enough to destroy MY confidence in his ilk.

And it should make YOU question your side as well.

This, "I gotta secret" type of politics disgusts me completely.
When will the People finally be treated with respect?

Dare i say, NEVER?

Most of the people who were "holding cards" relevant to the JFK murder ended up dead and the statistical probability of those deaths (which I don't have in front of me) was so ridiculously high a number that nobody would possibly believe they were all random. Specter's "magic bullet" lie kept him going.

Cathedral
07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Most of the people who were "holding cards" relevant to the JFK murder ended up dead and the statistical probability of those deaths (which I don't have in front of me) was so ridiculously high a number that nobody would possibly believe they were all random. Specter's "magic bullet" lie kept him going.

I do believe that JFK's murder was a Hit, and not by Oswald alone.
There really isn't any sane person who has reviewed the evidence that believes it was a lone gunman.

So, am i to assume that Spectre is lying now?
I think you missed my point which was, if anyone in power holds anything back that the people have a right to know, they don't deserve to remain in their positions.

Or maybe i am missing your point?

FORD
07-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I do believe that JFK's murder was a Hit, and not by Oswald alone.
There really isn't any sane person who has reviewed the evidence that believes it was a lone gunman.

So, am i to assume that Spectre is lying now?
I think you missed my point which was, if anyone in power holds anything back that the people have a right to know, they don't deserve to remain in their positions.

Or maybe i am missing your point?

My thought is that maybe Specter, knowing that he's at death's door anyway, might be willing to lay down whatever trump cards he might have on the BCE, since he took the stem cell veto personally.

Or he may not. Who knows? I don't think Specter ever completely bought into the neo-con agenda, like some of his other "old school" East coast Republicans.

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 07:22 AM

Did you miss this?

Grasping at straws? He is the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, not some left wing blogger, you moron.

And gw has violated the constitution repeatedly, not to mention shitting all over it.

Get a clue man. Not "get some glue", "get a clue"

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 07:25 AM

And honestly, the depth of ignorance this sentence displays is shocking.

thome
07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
And honestly, the depth of ignorance this sentence displays is shocking.

Grasping at straws? He is the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, not some left wing blogger, you moron.

You are not grasping my point, how about this.... re-read my post.

Maybe it's -you- who doesn't ,Get It..?

Nickdfresh
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, with the support of uneducated troll fuckwit, this Administration is just doing really well these days...:D

LoungeMachine
07-25-2006, 12:04 PM

It doesn't matter how many times one re-reads your posts, trailer-troll....

They're still nonsensical beer driven gibberish. Spiked with a heavey dose of stupidity, a dash of ignorance, and a dollop of redneck.

My only solace comes from the fact that you're probably too ugly to breed any little thomes.

Unless your sister passes out again.

Nickdfresh
07-25-2006, 12:43 PM

BTW Trolli'oh, we're talking about embryos that are going to be thrown out if their not used for Federally funded research. Is that murder too?

Vote Republican. They're counting on your ignorance....

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
BTW Trolli'oh, we're talking about embryos that are going to be thrown out if their not used for Federally funded research. Is that murder too?

That's what makes this so much fun, Spector is a R!

Even if all this does is make gw jump through the proper hoops, then at least our system of government is working like it should.

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
So no one really has anything to say about the content of the article?

No one is surprised that we're in July of 2006 and a Republican Senator is actually standing up to the bullshit gw&friends administration?

Not one neocon can contribute more than a sentence to refute what Spector and the American Bar Association is saying?

I have to say, I'm quite pleased by the development.

Warham, what do you think about it?

BBB, do you have any clever remarks or irrelevant op-eds with which to counter this massive blow?

E, can you type more than one sentence at once without having to go out for a smoke?

LoungeMachine
07-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

Warham, what do you think about it?

BBB, do you have any clever remarks or irrelevant op-eds with which to counter this massive blow?

E, can you type more than one sentence at once without having to go out for a smoke?

Nothing.

No.

Doubt it.

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I mean, at least E had a sentence. I'll give him that.

It was weak, but at least he showed himself.

Nickdfresh
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Spector has been a persistent critic of the excessive secrecy of this Administration, and of the rampant raping of American civil liberties...

I'm not that surprised. I'd vote this guy for President...

ODShowtime
07-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Spector has been a persistent critic of the excessive secrecy of this Administration, and of the rampant raping of American civil liberties...

He really has. He's been standing up to gw since Nov 2004 at least. I remember posting the article...

thome
07-26-2006, 11:01 AM

I always wondered if Eating -Going to be thrown out Baby Fetuses- (embrionic) and gaining sustanance, to survive was any different.

Have a little Morality Play with your position on the Thrown out little
groups of human fetus cell blobs.

Those that must die so that i may survive do not include my own species -where i come from-.

Who else is Down with the Sickness..?

Vote Democrat and Eat the Poor Unfortunate Unprotected Unspoken for..

Nickdfresh
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Dude, go to an adult education facility and take a literacy/writing course for fuck's sake, I'm through deciphering your stupid shit...

thome
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
If you say so, i will, lord knows i need it.

But i'm tired and lazy and spell check is broken and looking up every word in the dictionary is boring too.

I could write everthing in Word and then paste it up but you know i am to stupid to know that .

Plus, then you would think i'm something i'm not and i would not try and fool you with artificial grammar as syntax.

jacksmar
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/13/nsawiretaps.bill/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee said Thursday that he had struck a deal with the White House to resolve a dispute over the constitutionality of conducting electronic surveillance with court approval.

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania revealed a bill that would allow the same secret court that OK's wiretaps under the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to judge whether the National Security Agency's domestic eavesdropping program is allowed under the Constitution.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cathedral
07-26-2006, 04:55 PM

I'm not that surprised. I'd vote this guy for President...

I think i'd throw a vote his way also...he's at least a decent man, not perfect, decent.

Nickdfresh
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/13/nsawiretaps.bill/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee said Thursday that he had struck a deal with the White House to resolve a dispute over the constitutionality of conducting electronic surveillance with court approval.

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania revealed a bill that would allow the same secret court that OK's wiretaps under the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to judge whether the National Security Agency's domestic eavesdropping program is allowed under the Constitution.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Checks and balances! All I want is checks and balances. Just follow the fucking law, it easy enough to do already! Rarely has FISA turned the gov't down for warrants. And I mean ANY administration, whether it be Republican or Democrat, needs to be held to some sort of scrutiny, so they cannot use surveillance against law-abiding domestic political opponents (which actually increases the threat of terror since resources are diverted to preserving political hackney) as opposed to actual intelligence, criminal, or terror threats...