Reported "Muslim" opens Fire Killing woman, injuring others in Jewish Federation Bldg

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Reported "Muslim" opens Fire Killing woman, injuring others in Jewish Federation Bldg

Friday, July 28, 2006 · Last updated 6:46 p.m. PT

At least one killed during shooting at Seattle Jewish federation
    One person in custody

By PHUONG CAT LE, BRAD WONG, JOHN IWASAKI AND AMY ROLPH
    P-I REPORTERs

Six people were shot - one fatally - this afternoon at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle by a man who told a witness he was upset about "what was going on in Israel."

Police spokesman Rich Pruitt said there was one shooter, who was apprehended without incident outside the Jewish Federation building located on the corner of Third Avenue and Virginia Street.

"We believe it's a lone individual acting out his antagonism," said David Gomez, who heads the FBI's counterterrorism efforts in Seattle.

Authorities did not release any details about the alleged gunman and would not discuss possible motives.

"There's nothing to indicate that it's terrorism related," Gomez said. "But we're monitoring the entire situation."

Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick confirmed one person had died.

Harborview spokeswoman Pamela Steele said five victims were taken to her facility, all women ranging in age from 20s to 40s. Each suffered gunshot wounds to the abdomen, knee, groin or arm. Three were in critical condition and still in the operating room. Two are in satisfactory condition.

One of the women in satisfactory condition is 20 weeks pregnant and was shot in the arm. Doctors believe she will be OK.

Authorities received a 911 call at 4:03 p.m. with reports of shots fired at the Jewish Federation and a possible hostage situation, Assistant Seattle Police Chief Nick Metz said at an early evening news conference.

Officers converged on the scene and took a man into custody. At one point, the alleged gunman had been talking to a police dispatcher, Metz said.

There were more than 10 people in the Jewish Federation building at the time, Metz said.

One witness, who declined to give her name, said a man walked into the Jewish Federation building with a gun, said he was upset about what was going on in Israel, then opened fire. After the shootings, the man said to call 911, the witness said. The witness said the man identified himself as an American Muslim.

Fighting has raged in the Middle East since Hezbollah, a Shiite group based in Lebanon, went into Israel and kidnapped two Israeli soldiers and killed eight others. Israel retaliated by striking targets in Lebanon and has sent troops into the southern part of the country. Since the conflict began, more than 400 have been killed in Lebanon and more than 50 soldiers and civilians have been killed in Israel.

Witnesses to the afternoon shooting and people who work at the Jewish Federation described a chaotic, terrifying scene.

Kami Knatt works at the federation's Holocaust center. As he exited the building, she saw a wounded coworker fall down. Knatt took her sweater off and tried to stop the bleeding.

"I asked her 'are you OK'. She said no I've been shot. 'I kept saying it's going to be OK."

The victim told Knatt: "I'm going to black out, I'm going to black out." Knatt replied: "You're going to be alright."

Several workers and victims ran toward a nearby Starbucks. There was a small pool of blood outside the coffee shop.

Nathaniel Mullins, 43, was turning onto Lenora Street with his 19-year-old daughter when he heard police say "get back! get back!"

Mullins said he saw two shooting victims. "They were covered in blood," he said.

"We were scared, heck yeah. It shook me for a moment."

Zach Carstensen, who is the director of government relations for the Jewish Federation, said he heard shots and screams.

"People started running and I started running with them," Carstensen said.

Asked whether he thought his office had been targeted because of the conflict in the Mideast, Carstensen said he wasn't sure. "We're all a little shaken, he said.

Sam Peterson, 18, who lives in an apartment on Third and Blanchard, said she was walking to the Lenora Apartment Building and cutting through the corner of Sigs Barbershop when she heard at least one gunshot.

She saw a blonde woman "drop to the ground. She screamed."

Immediately after the shooting, a SWAT team searched the federation building, looking for any other victims, anyone hiding or any other possible shooters, Pruitt said.

Police blocked off several city blocks to investigate.

Metz said police officers throughout the city were being asked to step up patrols of Jewish synagogues and Jewish organizations.

The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle was established 1926. According to its Web site, its mission is to "ensure Jewish survival and to enhance the quality of Jewish life locally, in Israel and worldwide."

Rabbi Daniel Weiner at Temple De Hirsch Sinai in Seattle, said his congregation was planning to meet in Bellevue this evening anyway, but were waiting for police to advise them on whether to go ahead with the services.

The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle is a fund raising and fund allocation organization.

"It is the Jewish version of the United Way," Weiner said. He said he is at a loss to understand why people in that building would be attacked.

"To delve into the mind of a clearly troubled and disturbed person is impossible," Weiner said. "It is heartbreaking to think of what is transpiring."

The Jewish Federation building is known for its security with gates and buzzers, puzzling many who go there as to how the gunman entered.

"The whole thing is an incredibly terrifying thing," said Vicki Robbins-Silverman, a member of Seattle's Jewish community and retired military wife. "It's unbelievable."

Silverman had visited the Jewish Federatoin only on Wednesday to pick up a friend, and found it "creepy" watching the building known for its community services to be surrounded by turmoil. The Jewish Federation houses a community Jewish newspaper and various member agencies, including the Washington Holocaust Educational Resource Center, the Jewish Education Council and other community services.

Word of the shooting quickly ricocheted around the world. Silverman heard quickly from a relative in Los Angeles who saw it on television. In Israel, Haaretz and the Jerusalem Post newspapers quickly had the story on their online front pages, just below stories about the fight against Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Iantha Sidell, past board chair of Seattle's Jewish federation, went to Harborview after the shooting.

"This is just a disaster," she said. "We value every life. I don't know what we're going to do about it. We believe in life."
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

KIRO TV here is now reporting the FBI was told to beef up security just in case this sort of attack happened.

But they didnt say WHO told them.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Jewish leaders here are actually telling temples and synagogues [sp?] not to hold service until further notice.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm no expert on the Jewish Federation, but I've never heard anything to indicate that they were a Likud front or anything of that sort.

Sad story, but probably just a random nutcase and not related to anything.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• diamondD
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

WTF is in the water up there?
          Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Geez..... You get a serial killer every decade or so and suddenly everyone think's it's the murder capital of the world.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
              KIRO TV here is now reporting the FBI was told to beef up security just in case this sort of attack happened.

But they didnt say WHO told them.
              Reichland Security, of course. Who else would tell the FBI what to do?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• jcook11
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Geez..... You get a serial killer every decade or so and suddenly everyone think's it's the murder capital of the world.
                I believe the " City of Angels " still holds that distingueshed title.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Sad story, but probably just a random nutcase and not related to anything.

Eyewitness accounts say he said he was pissed at Israel before opening fire.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                    Eyewitness accounts say he said he was pissed at Israel before opening fire.
                    A lot of people are pissed at Israel. Hell, I'M pissed at Israel, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame a Jewish community center for Likud Zionfascism.

Considering that the majority of American Jews are reasonably Liberal, I doubt the Federation was full of Likud Sympathizers.

What sucks though is that the right wing propaganda machine is going to spin this into some fucking "domestic jihad" that doesn't exist.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
                      WTF is in the water up there?

Yeast, barley, hops.......

or caffeine.........

or residue in the bottom of the bong.

Why do you ask?

Comment

Working...