X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

The Axl Rose Experience - a pleasant surprise

Saw "Guns N Roses" on saturday night, and thought some people here may be interested in a review, so here is my attempt at one.

The opening act was Sebastian Bach, who proceded to tear London a new asshole. Bach's backing band sounded like thunder tonight as they blast ed through considerably heavied up versions up Skid Row tunes, "Slave to the Grind", "Monkey Business", "Here I am", "Big Guns", "Youth Gone Wild", "18 and life", and set highlight "The Threat." Bach is on fine form and owns this stage, running around, headbanging and swinging the mike out into the first few rows of the crowd which laps up his energetic and frantic performance. His voice was exceptional, and he screams like no other vocalsit can; the new matrerial he airs from forthcoming album "Angel Down" is a real show case for his vocal talents - particuarly the stand out "Amercian Metalhead" (or as he sings it "Ammeeeerrricaaaaaaaannn Mettallheaddddd). As the show closes, a kid behind me exclaimed "fucking hell, I wish I could sing like that" - nuff said.

Next on are the current darlings of the UK metal scene "Bullet For My Valentine". I had high hopes for their performance but was sorely disapointed. Although I thought that their album was solid and brimming with potential, the problem with their brand of thrash meets emo is that it is musically very busy and consequently sounds like mush as it comes through the PA. They play with real energy, and throw in some impresive guitar work, but this old metal head has seen it all done before and a lot better. I imagine that they would be great in a club, but lack the live experience to rock the whole of Wembley tonight. I am certainly not writing them off - a few years from now we may have a truly great band here.

And then we play the waiting game. The crowd grows restless as the interlude before Axl's arrival grows longer and longer - "come on you cunt" and "Axl is a wanker" chants grow more frequent once 10 pm comes and goes, but eventually at 10.45 the show starts. The opening slavo of "welcome to the Jungle", "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone" and "Live and Let Die" erase all the hostility as the crowd realise that, yes, it really is Axl Rose.

And although being older and tubbier, Axl has still got it; all the moves are still on display, he stills jigs and sways like a psychotic nutter; and, although he struggles at times, his voice is in fine form. Unfortunatley the same cannot be said for the hired hacks who back him - what possesed him to hire such uninspired musicians is beyond me. There are three guitar players on stage tonight, and they all play a solo, all of which are equally forgetable. This was the weak point of the show: the momentum that the band generated in the first four songs is quickly lost as each song is followed by a solo or a jam, which makes the set a little disjointed and leisurely. We may get a lot of classics, but we get a lot of filler too.

The lowest point for me was hearing an out of tune "Sweet Child o mine" made even worse by a butchering of one of the greatest solos ever laid on record - Axl, that hurt.

Of the new material, one new song (I didn't catch the name) deserves particualr mention - AS IT WAS FUCKIN' STELLA. Typical Guns, bluesed based riifs built around Axl's psycho rock, with a big fuck-off chorus. This was the nights most pleasnt surprise: if we ever see that record, I have high hopes.

I really enjoyed this show, far more than I was expecting too, and I would gladly go again. However, it was only a competant and solid performance, and these aren't adjectives worthy of "The most dangerous band on the plantet". Axl is still a rock God - I was expecting an over weight clown, but he really has still got the magic. Sadly his band lets him down, too often robbing those sleaze soaked classics of their groove and bite: I saw Velvet Revolver twice last year, and they would have eaten this band for breakfast without breaking sweat.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Anyone else been to this tour?

If so, glad to hear thoughts and comments.

What came out of it most strongly for me was that Axl could still do something great if he hired some half decent musicians....

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat, like Steven Tyler needs Joe Perry and like EVH needs Roth.
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Unchainme
        He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat, like Steven Tyler needs Joe Perry and like EVH needs Roth.
        Absolutely. But I doubt that reuinion will ever happen.

However on the strength of his perfomance, Axl could still put on a great performance without the original gunners. Sure, it wouldn't be the same, it'd always be a little cabaret, but he could do much better than this.

He needs to find musicians with balls - fuck, there must be loads of talented motherfuckers around sunset strip, Traci Guns would have been a good choice.....

The biggest problem, IMO, is his current drummer - technique is fine, but those songs cry out for power not finesse.....

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by binnie
          Anyone else been to this tour?
          I boycotted it and wish eveyone else had too.

There has to come a point when you get fed up being fucked around by an horrible little arrogant ginger twat whose best days are 20 years behind him.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2005

Is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal) Axl's new guitarist?

or has he left already?
            ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Everyone I know that went to the shows said the guitarists were shit.

Local bar on a bad night level.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Everyone I know that went to the shows said the guitarists were shit.

Local bar on a bad night level.
                Yep - fuckin terrible. But they thought that they were great!

I wish he had taken Izzy Straddlin and Gilby Clarke out with him - sure not the best technical players, but would have added some serious groove to the songs!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Soul Reaper
                  Is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal) Axl's new guitarist?

or has he left already?
                  I believe he was there, I got confused.

One guy was called Robin Fink....

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    I boycotted it and wish eveyone else had too.

There has to come a point when you get fed up being fucked around by an horrible little arrogant ginger twat whose best days are 20 years behind him.
                    Yep, they were my thoughts initially but I took a chance. I have to say how impressed I was with Axl tho'....

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Unchainme
                      He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat,
                      umm no offence or anything but,have you seen him on this tour?,if not then your opinion on this is useless because you cant say what he needs to do unless you have heard him with his new lineup,which by the way is amazing
                      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                        Yep - fuckin terrible. But they thought that they were great!

I wish he had taken Izzy Straddlin and Gilby Clarke out with him - sure not the best technical players, but would have added some serious groove to the songs!

was izzy not at the show you saw?
                        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                          umm no offence or anything but,have you seen him on this tour?,if not then your opinion on this is useless because you cant say what he needs to do unless you have heard him with his new lineup,which by the way is amazing
                          his opinion isn't useless.....he's entitled to say what he wants....

I agree with Unchainme....he's nothing without Slash, Izzy and Duff....even if he may sound good now, he's just a shadow of what he used to be.....and it'll always be like that....
                          Last edited by Soul Reaper; 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM.
                          ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

That doesn't sound like a "pleasant surprise"....it sounds like you got ripped off!
                            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                              was izzy not at the show you saw?
                              Yes, but I think he could have had a more prominent part in the band. Izzy is a damn fine player, and another blusier player would have worked well with him and would have been truer to the GNR sounds. I just think three guitar players is too many.

I have to reiterate that Axl was fucking incredible, but the band let him down.

What did you think of the new material?

Comment

Working...