PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Leaders Ask Bush to Redeploy Troops in Iraq

Nickdfresh
08-01-2006, 08:28 PM
August 1, 2006
Democratic Leaders Ask Bush to Redeploy Troops in Iraq
By ADAM NAGOURNEY

WASHINGTON, July 31 — Leading Congressional Democrats, after months of division over Iraq, have called on President Bush to begin a phased redeployment of troops by the end of this year, a unified statement signaling they have concluded that the war could hurt Republicans in the midterm elections.

The letter called on American forces in Iraq to make a transition to a “more limited mission” dealing with counterterrorism and training and logistical support of Iraq security forces.

“In the interests of American national security, our troops, and our taxpayers, the open-ended commitment in Iraq that you have embraced cannot and should not be sustained,” said the letter, dated July 30 and released Monday. It was signed by a dozen Democratic leaders, including Harry Reid of Nevada, the Senate minority leader, and Nancy Pelosi, the House Democratic leader.

“Mr. President, simply staying the course in Iraq is not working,” the Democrats wrote. “We need to take a new direction. We believe these recommendations comprise an effective alternative to the current open-ended commitment, which is not producing the progress in Iraq we would all like to see.”

As a matter of policy, the proposals by the Democrats did not, for the most part, break new ground, Democratic aides said.

But the fact that most of the Democratic leadership had unified around a position — and presented it so forcefully — strongly suggests that the politics surrounding the war are changing.

Ken Mehlman, the Republican national chairman, criticized Democrats on Monday for the statement. “The fact that that the Democrats have sent a letter to the president saying basically, set a deadline and tell the terrorists that we are leaving, in my opinion, clarifies the choice this fall,” he said.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/washington/01pullout.html?_r=1&oref=slogin) Company

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Amazing.

The Dems have criticized Bush & Co. of not trusting the generals on the ground in Iraq and deciding on matters (personnel and tactics) themselves.

It seems as if the Dems are now doing the same thing.

:cool:

DEMON CUNT
08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
The Dems have criticized Bush & Co. of not trusting the generals on the ground in Iraq and deciding on matters (personnel and tactics) themselves.

That's one of the lamest statements you have ever made here at the Army.

They are trying to save American lives and end the illegal occupation. Why do you hate America?

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
That's one of the lamest statements you have ever made here at the Army.

They are trying to save American lives and end the illegal occupation. Why do you hate America?

How much service have you ever given to this country other than bad-mouthing it?

Well how much?

Uh huh, that's what I thought.

BTW - an illegal war is one which liberals don't approve of...nothing else.

Nickdfresh
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Amazing.

What is this little piece of brilliant logic based on?

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
What is this little piece of brilliant logic based on?

Very well, since you seem sincere in your attempt to debate me rather than hurl insults like the Liberal Whiner in Chief, I shall respond. :)

Bush was been under scrutiny by the Democrats all along the course of this war in regards to the amount of troops needed in Iraq. They've questioned if we had enough, stating Bush and Rummy are, in essence, deciding what is needed no matter what the military leadership says. Maybe they have. My opinion on Rumsfeld is well known in this forum.

However, the article above says "The letter called on American forces in Iraq to make a transition to a “more limited mission” dealing with counterterrorism and training and logistical support of Iraq security forces."

That leads me to believe the Democrats are attempting to do the same thing...all for political gain. Both parties are doing the same thing, really: trying to spin another issue (Iraq) for the best way they know how in the run up into November.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
BTW...I'm not against us getting out of Iraq.

On the contrary, I hope it's done as quickly as is feasible.

However, to leave without some assurance that Iraq can stand on it's own two feet is not desirable.

Otherwise, the sacrifice of so many Americans (and other soldiers of the coalition) has been in vain.

DEMON CUNT
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian (R- Fucking Retarded)
How much service have you ever given to this country other than bad-mouthing it?

Well how much?

Uh huh, that's what I thought.

BTW - an illegal war is one which liberals don't approve of...nothing else.

None, I didn't have to go into the military. Nor did I dodge any draft. I went out and gots for me as Flava would say.

You think that because you sucked dick on some sub for four years you get some special rights?

If that is your definition of illegal war you must be fucking retarded.

Nickdfresh
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Um, the Democrats are trying to get us out of Iraq, whereas the Admin. plan seems to be "staying the course" to save face until he can turn over the fiasco to the next President.

So, in essence, American troops are dying for Bush's legacy.

That's the plan stan!

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
None, I didn't have to go into the military. Nor did I dodge any draft. I went out and gots for me as Flava would say.

You think that because you sucked dick on some sub for four years you get some special rights?

If that is your definition of illegal war you must be fucking retarded.

My point is that you really don't give a rat's ass about our people getting killed.

'Fess up...you don't. We all know it. We really do.

I've currently got friends on the ground and in the Persian Gulf tied up with this whole thing. I care about them...you don't. (BTW, I'm not taking a shot at liberals in general here...only THE CUNT)

The only thing this war does for you is give one more bullet in you pea-gun you can aim at the current Administration. That's all you really give a damn about.

You fuckin' psychotic, whining retard.

:)

BigBadBrian
08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Um, the Democrats are trying to get us out of Iraq, whereas the Admin. plan seems to be "staying the course" to save face until he can turn over the fiasco to the next President.

So, in essence, American troops are dying for Bush's legacy.

That's the plan stan!

Stan?

I got a picture of myself (5 years old at the time) posing in a pic with Stan Musial (he was already retired at the time). Used to go to Cardinal games every summer. :cool:

Anyhow....My opinion about getting out remains the same no matter who's plan it is: only when Iraq is stable.

:gulp;

DEMON CUNT
08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
My point is that you really don't give a rat's ass about our people getting killed.

'Fess up...you don't. We all know it. We really do.

I've currently got friends on the ground and in the Persian Gulf tied up with this whole thing. I care about them...you don't. (BTW, I'm not taking a shot at liberals in general here...only THE CUNT)

The only thing this war does for you is give one more bullet in you pea-gun you can aim at the current Administration. That's all you really give a damn about.

You fuckin' psychotic, whining retard.

And some of my best friends are black people.

You have celebrated the violence and conflict in this world. While I have called for an end to it. I have been here talking about human suffering and death while you called me things like "broken record."

There is a real sense of desperation in some of your recent posts.

Perhaps you are starting to understand just how wrong you have been.