or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIgOFVivsQ&mode=related&search=

which one is better........... tough choice

binnie
08-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Priest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Reaper
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
It's obviously Halford.....you can't have Priest without Halford....

Vinnie Velvet
08-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Halford.

No question.

binnie
08-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Gonna have to go with Halford, he is the only singer for Priest....

binnie
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Ripper Owens is a monster vocalist tho' (although that video doesn't showcase that much).

Saw his new band Beyond Fear recently, and he is the man. Great record too.

But he is essentially a Halford copycat.....

Hardrock69
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
This belongs in House Of Music

I saw Tim with Priest in Atlanta in 2002.

He is fucking terrifying.

He is easily as amazing as Halford was back in the day (when he could still wail).

VAN HLN CA
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
if someone says Rip over Rob,

they camp at the same place where they say Sam instead of Dave.

mako_kimura
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Halford has the better vocal styling for Priest. Ripper isn't really all that original with his vocals, instead he's just copying Rob to compensate. In simple terms, I'm going with Rob Halford

Tiki-Tom
08-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by van hln CA
if someone says Rip over Rob,

they camp at the same place where they say Sam instead of Dave.

Comparing Ripper to Spammy is nothing short of INSANE!!!

Priest may have made their mark with Halford and Ripper may in fact be a Halford imitation, but Rob didn't have that kind of range in his prime. Ripper does Halford better than Halford ever did AND he has an incredible style of his own! Priest wanted a clone. That's why they hired him. He has a voice that makes ol' Rob wet his friggin' panties.

Hardrock69
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
No.

Timmy cannot sing like Halford could in his prime.

He is close enough that (as fans of great vocalists) it is actually kind of nit-picky, but Halford back in the 70s was better. I have too many bootlegs from the 70s that prove it.

I am seriously glad that Tim came along though, so that we have a younger vocalist to carry on the tradition of making our jaws hit the floor....

Tiki-Tom
08-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

I am seriously glad that Tim came along though, so that we have a younger vocalist to carry on the tradition of making our jaws hit the floor....

He does have that effect. Saw them at HoB in '98. You should've seen the look on everyone's faces when he sang Victim of Changes. They were looking at each other in disbelief. I wish Priest would've let him be Tim Owens instead of Rob Jr. Iced Earth let him cut loose the way Priest should have.

Panamark
08-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Are you guys saying Halford cant sing anymore ??

Tiki-Tom
08-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Not saying that at all. He just can't do it as well as before. I know, everyone gets older and can't sound the same forever. Just trying to compare two singers.

Hardrock69
08-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Tiki said it best.

If you were to throw in the latest DVD from Japan and compare it to the 1982 Memphis DVD, you would see a serious decline in ability.

That said...we are talking about a decline over a period of 20 years. You have to realize he is like 52 or 53 now....his voice is not exactly youthful...

If you go back even further, and compare the 1982 DVD to something like from 1976 or so, you would hear a very young Halford....hitting notes that we did not hear him hit by 1982.

Keep one thing in mind though.

Halford's abilities in his 50s are far beyond 98% of all other rock vocalists on Earth.

So I am not saying flat out "He cannot sing anymore".

Anyone who thinks that is an ignorant fuckhead. :D

He most definitely can still kick ass.

Just not as much as he did when he was a young man.

Buy the Priest DVD "Rising In The East". It contains the most terrifying version of "Victim Of Changes" I have seen the band play since Dortmund 1983.

They don't call them the Mighty Judas Priest for nothing.

:cool:

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/images/priest_halfordscream.jpg

Here...check out this guitar. I am posting a link cause I don't have time to resize this giant photo:

http://webarchiveor.temp.powweb.com/download-h/instrumentos/Beyond%20Custom%20-%20Judas%20Priest.jpg

Tiki-Tom
08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
In a nutshell, were it not for Halford then we may not have had vocalists like Owens to carry on with that style of singing. No matter who is better now, props to Halford for his influence on metals best.

Panamark
08-06-2006, 03:03 AM
This has given inspiration for a new thread !!!

BruinJer
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Ripper is a better singer but there are 2 problems... 1) He's has ZERO stage presence and 2) He's not Rob.

ALMOSTsaved
08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Personally I never really got into the music beyond "Ram It Down." I prefer old school Priest and NOT the one that attempted to be "thrash worthy" a la "Painkiller." Just not my cup of tea.

binnie
08-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Ripper in Iced Earth and Beyond Fear is well worth a lsiten!

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Ripper in Iced Earth and Beyond Fear is well worth a lsiten!
Absolutely! As i have said before about Tim, Priest sould have gave him the chance to sing more like he has in those bands. Not just be a Rob clone.

BruinJer is right about him "having zero stage presence" for sure. When I saw Priest in 98 tim just stayed in one place and shadowboxed all night, but the man's voice was UNBELIEVABLE!

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Then again, Rob looked pretty stupid on VH-1's Rock Honors. Back to the crowd, stiff as a board, looked as if he had shit himself and was afraid to move.

binnie
08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
That's true, he did.

But Rob has a lot of charisma, and is a good frontman.

Everyone's allowed a bad performance....

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by binnie
That's true, he did.

But Rob has a lot of charisma, and is a good frontman.

He's got...ChaRAZZma!
Well, he had it anyway.

Everyone's allowed a bad performance....

He already had one with Two!

I saw Priest a few times years ago. Rob was great then. Everything I've seen lately from their last tour is the same story. Shit, Ian Hill moves more than Halford now.

Vinnie Velvet
08-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Singing ability aside, the thing is that Ripper couldn't write a song, melodies, to save his life!

What happened with Priest is that not only did they lose their best singer (Halford) but one third of the Halford-Tipton-Downing songwriting team.

You can't just replace Halford with a guy with pipes, he's gotta be able to write as well.

Ripper couldn't and the chemistry wasn't there.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-15-2006, 06:21 AM
The problem is, Halford has taken the studs and boots too far. He looked weighed down on the "Painkiller" tour, and he looked like he was aboot to collapse on the last tour.

ALMOSTsaved
08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
On a sidenote, I think the best "sounding" Priest CD is "Point of Entry." Everything just sounds "right" on that one. In a production sense it sounds a lot like KISS "Dressed To Kill" which is my favorite sounding KISS album...

binnie
08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
On a sidenote, I think the best "sounding" Priest CD is "Point of Entry." Everything just sounds "right" on that one. In a production sense it sounds a lot like KISS "Dressed To Kill" which is my favorite sounding KISS album...

I seem to remember that at the time "point of entry" took a lot of stick from the fans, but over the years it has definately grown on me....

ALMOSTsaved
08-15-2006, 08:05 AM
It rememeber that as well. But for some reason, I guess I've always gone against the grain because that is one of my top 3.

Diamondjimi
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Bump...

Green Manalishi -Live in '79

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/37B4NYDgPow"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/37B4NYDgPow" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FUCKIN CLASSIC:rockit2:

binnie
02-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Jesus that is Classic!

Thst's what Priest was all about, big guitars and crunching riffs....

Halford looks funny with hair!

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Here he was as a youngster:

Exciter - 1978 Japan:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqFkUPv0WCY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqFkUPv0WCY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ALMOSTsaved
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
"Exciter" is a fucking classic. Are there any videos for "Better By You, Better Than Me"???

Diamondjimi
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Exciter kicks fuckin ass !

'79/'80 era is my fav. Les Binks owns :rockit2:

Les was a million times better than that fuckin homosexual pedophile they replaced him with...

And what's with Halford's outfit. I can see where Duran Duran got their fashon ideas from.:D