• Show
Clear All
  • The_KiD
    Commando
    • Jun 2005

Kiss Fans Protest Rock Hall of Fame Snub

Kiss Fans Protest Rock Hall of Fame Snub
    Aug 6, 4:43 AM EST

About 200 Kiss fans protested Saturday in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum to demand that the band be inducted into the hall.

Fans, some from as far away as California, carried signs and had painted their faces in black-and-white to resemble Kiss band members.

Those participating in the half-hour demonstration were upset that the band, formed more than 30 years ago, has not been admitted, even though it has been eligible since the late 1990s.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record, according to the museum's Web site.

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll," the site says.

A museum spokesman said it was the first demonstration by fans seeking to have a group inducted.

The foundation that selects inductees is based in New York City, not at the museum.

———

On the Net:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum: http://www.rockhall.com
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

The fact they aren't there, and neither is Alice Cooper is a slap in the face to all KISS and AC fans. The number of shitty artists that are in (FUCK ELVIS COSTELLO!!!), while these two aren't......It's nothing more than a blatant snub, becasue somehow the HOF thinks they are above these bands.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Concur Vengance, just another example of idiots put in charge....

Probably a few things have contributed to it, IMO...

I think the gluttony of merchandising and overall greed that they've attempted in recent years have soured the voting process...

I also think that the public disrespect that they've shown towards Ace and Peter hasn't helped...

Lastly, and this applies to both Alice and KISS, is that I don't think they account for the contributions that theatrical rock bands such as those two gave towards the overall rock concert experience....

I mean, you have rock bands that give you a great musical experience with little fanfare, i.e. Rush, a mix of great music and production, i.e. Van Halen, Crue, etc., and then you have those bands whose forte' is an incredible live show and that while their musical element and individual artistry is relatively less than the musicians in those 'other' types of rock bands, the fans leaving those arenas still leave with a "holy shit" just as much as they do had they gone to other bands' shows....

KISS and Alice certainly fall into that category....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Agreed gang...

To think that they put those fuckwits from The Sex Pistols in and not Kiss or Alice Cooper is revolting.

Of course, The Sex Pistols induction was probably just the HOF saying "Hey...look, we can be irreverent and cool!"

Just like Pat Boone covering a metal tune....
        Originally posted by perilouspete
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Sex Pistols deserved the induction - not that they gave a shit.

I have no idea why Alice Cooper isn't in yet. That's definitely an injustice.

As for Kiss, they are in about the same boat as Van Halen, or where Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd were before all the fan lobbying got those two bands inducted.

Namely, the fact that the band has become such a fucking JOKE with roadies playing lead guitar in Ace makeup, and a revolving door of drummers dressed as Peter Criss.

They should honor Kiss for what they did between 1973- and 1978 and leave the joke years out of it. Just like any mention of Van Halen after 1985 is unthinkable as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.

That said, the Kiss fans are doing the right thing by lobbying, since it worked with this year's inductees. Maybe it's time they heard from some Van HALEN fans as well?
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Kiss should be there. Period.

They have had an overwhleming influence on rock music and business.

Agreed also that Alice Cooper should be there - man, is anyone more instantly recognisable, both visually and on record?
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
              Commando
              • Apr 2006

"Hey there, this is A.B. Cooper from
              Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
              It's our Fourth of July ... sale.
              Here at Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
              At the corner of Collins and Commerce
              I've got lot full of the finest funny looking cars money can buy
              At prices even you can afford
              So come on down and say hello to me, and granny
              And bring the kids to meet my snake
              I say, "bye"
              Granny says, "bye"
              and the snake says, "sssssssssss"

-"I Love America"- The man is brilliant - let him in already!
              [

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
                "Hey there, this is A.B. Cooper from
                Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
                It's our Fourth of July ... sale.
                Here at Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
                At the corner of Collins and Commerce
                I've got lot full of the finest funny looking cars money can buy
                At prices even you can afford
                So come on down and say hello to me, and granny
                And bring the kids to meet my snake
                I say, "bye"
                Granny says, "bye"
                and the snake says, "sssssssssss"

-"I Love America"- The man is brilliant - let him in already!
                One of the few tunes from that abysmal Dada, that I can say showed the old Alice....
                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  The Sex Pistols deserved the induction - not that they gave a shit.

I have no idea why Alice Cooper isn't in yet. That's definitely an injustice.

As for Kiss, they are in about the same boat as Van Halen, or where Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd were before all the fan lobbying got those two bands inducted.

Namely, the fact that the band has become such a fucking JOKE with roadies playing lead guitar in Ace makeup, and a revolving door of drummers dressed as Peter Criss.

They should honor Kiss for what they did between 1973- and 1978 and leave the joke years out of it. Just like any mention of Van Halen after 1985 is unthinkable as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.

That said, the Kiss fans are doing the right thing by lobbying, since it worked with this year's inductees. Maybe it's time they heard from some Van HALEN fans as well?
                  That would be the only way to include The Platters under that criteria. They still have people going around under the name The Platters, doing dinner theatre, when none of the originals are in the group. Most of them are dead, I think. Someone got the rights to the name, I think a kid of one of the originals, and is whoring it for all it's worth.
                  Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

rnrhof

the rock and roll hall of fame is for the most part a big fucking joke.
                    at least it only took them 11 years to let black sabbath in.
                    now if they wanna do the right thing
                    the next inductees should be:
                    KISS
                    CVH
                    JUDAS PRIEST
                    IRON MAIDEN
                    MOTLEY CRUE
                    MONTROSE
                    ALICE COOPER
                    DEEP PURPLE
                    THE WHO
                    IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES
                    THE NEW YORK DOLLS
                    THE RAMONES
                    RAINBOW
                    BOB SEGER AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND
                    TED NUGENT
                    THE RUNAWAYS
                    THE SCORPIONS
                    MERCYFUL FATE
                    DIAMOND HEAD
                    i believe it is a major snub no of these bands are in while most of their contemporaries are, i.e.,aersomith,queen,led zeppelin,jimi hendrix,sex pistols,etc......
                    until something is done to induct these greatly influential and eligible bands,the hall is not the least bit credible in my eyes.

THIS IS WHAT I FUCKING THINK OF THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME UNTIL JUSTICE IS DONE
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

The Who was inducted in 1990. Ramones inducted in 2002.
                      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Re: rnrhof

Originally posted by ace diamond

MONTROSE
                        RAINBOW
                        THE RUNAWAYS
                        THE SCORPIONS
                        MERCYFUL FATE
                        DIAMOND HEAD

There's not a shot in hell any of these bands ever get in...MAYBE the Runaways, only because they were essentially the first female rockers, but even then, they were harly even a band.

Not that all those bands don't have greatness in themselves (other than Spammy in Montrose)
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Satan
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Re: rnrhof

Originally posted by ace diamond
                          the rock and roll hall of fame is for the most part a big fucking joke.
                          at least it only took them 11 years to let black sabbath in.
                          now if they wanna do the right thing
                          the next inductees should be:
                          KISS
                          CVH
                          JUDAS PRIEST
                          IRON MAIDEN
                          MOTLEY CRUE
                          MONTROSE
                          ALICE COOPER
                          DEEP PURPLE
                          THE WHO
                          IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES
                          THE NEW YORK DOLLS
                          THE RAMONES
                          RAINBOW
                          BOB SEGER AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND
                          TED NUGENT
                          THE RUNAWAYS
                          THE SCORPIONS
                          MERCYFUL FATE
                          DIAMOND HEAD
                          An impressive list, but you made a few errors...

The Who - inducted in 1990

Ramones - inducted 2002

Mercyful Fate and Diamond Head ain't ever gonna get in. Sorry, but that's just the fact. A Hall of Fame inductee doesn't neccessarily have to be a mainstream multi-platinum selling artist, but they do have to be at least recognized as a significant influence on other bands that followed (i.e The Velvet Underground, inducted 1996)

Judas Priest should definitely be in by now. So should Deep Purple, but there again, you have the "Joke" factor with the ever revolving lineup.

Iggy Pop, the NY Dolls and the Runaways definitely all fit the Velvet Underground factor - never platinum sellers, but massively influential over a generation that followed. All three should be inducted eventually.

Bob Seger, I believe, was an early nominee for last year's list, so he might be in soon.

Nugent - let's face it.... his politics drove away a lot of fans. Not saying that's right or wrong, but it just is.

As for Montrose - well it might be Sammy's best work. But it's still Sammy....
                          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• ace diamond
                            Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                            The Who was inducted in 1990. Ramones inducted in 2002.
                            i wasn't aware of that. thank you for pointing it out.
                            "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
                              Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                              An impressive list, but you made a few errors...

The Who - inducted in 1990

Ramones - inducted 2002

Mercyful Fate and Diamond Head ain't ever gonna get in. Sorry, but that's just the fact. A Hall of Fame inductee doesn't neccessarily have to be a mainstream multi-platinum selling artist, but they do have to be at least recognized as a significant influence on other bands that followed (i.e The Velvet Underground, inducted 1996)

Judas Priest should definitely be in by now. So should Deep Purple, but there again, you have the "Joke" factor with the ever revolving lineup.

Iggy Pop, the NY Dolls and the Runaways definitely all fit the Velvet Underground factor - never platinum sellers, but massively influential over a generation that followed. All three should be inducted eventually.

Bob Seger, I believe, was an early nominee for last year's list, so he might be in soon.

Nugent - let's face it.... his politics drove away a lot of fans. Not saying that's right or wrong, but it just is.

As for Montrose - well it might be Sammy's best work. But it's still Sammy....
                              yes, it is still spammy,but at least it was the only band he was ever in as an original member that did not suck.
                              montrose was the only good thing spambo the fatfuck ever did.
                              fortunately ronnie montrose did the majority of the songwriting, and he strictly forbade sammy from touching a guitar. the songs on those montrose lp's sammy did write,most of them are now classic rock staples....i.e,bad motor scooter.......but nonetheless, montrose was the only good thing he ever did,at least it is the only works of his i can stand and does not suck.

Comment

Working...