X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The NFL- 2006

It gets underway ... HOF Game - 8/6 @ 8pm.

Oakland vs Philadelphia.
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

White, Aikman, Moon, Madden, Carson, Wright inducted into Hall of Fame

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

August 5, 2006

CANTON, Ohio (AP)
    -- The glory of the newest Hall of Famers' achievements was punctuated by a steady stream of tears and a singular chant:

"REG-GIE, REG-GIE."

Though a fair share of the crowd sported No. 8 jerseys in tribute to Troy Aikman, their passion Saturday was reserved for the late Reggie White.

The two joined Warren Moon, John Madden, Rayfield Wright and Harry Carson as the newest inductees in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Nearly all of them choked up or cried during the four-hour ceremony, even the usually unflappable Aikman. Most poignant was the way White, also an ordained preacher who died in December 2004, was honored.

His son, Jeremy, was White's presenter, and his widow, Sara, made the acceptance speech. Both crying, they shared a long hug after unveiling Reggie's bust before a rapt audience.

"Reggie was an honest, humble, honorable, dedicated, determined, passionate and caring man," Sara White said. "He is inducted today not only because of his athletic achievements, but because he was a great player on the field in accordance with being a great person throughout life."

Often, the fans chanted Reggie's name. It didn't matter if they were dressed in Packers or Eagles green -- a collection of current Eagles, including Donovan McNabb, sat in the crowd wearing White's No. 92 -- or even Cowboys, Giants or Oilers blue or Raiders black.

They all stood and cheered for the Minister of Defense, including Aikman, Dallas' three-time Super Bowl champion quarterback.

"I too am saddened by the absence of Reggie White, a great player and a man who left us too soon," Aikman said. "It's an honor to be a member of the Hall of Fame class that includes five men I have so much admiration and respect for. They played the game the way it should be played, and John Madden coached the game the same way."

Aikman's voice cracked as he explained his emotions:

"I was able to live a dream. I played professional football," he said. "That I was able to do so with so many great players and coaches and win three championships and wind up here -- it is almost too much to believe. I am humbled to be welcomed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

White was a two-time defensive player of the year who made 13 straight Pro Bowls. He was the career sacks leader with 198 when he retired -- Bruce Smith since has passed him -- and won a Super Bowl with Green Bay in 1997 after starting his illustrious career in the USFL, then moving to Philadelphia.

"It's not how we die, it's how we live," Sara White said. "I encourage you to live like Reggie lived. His legacy will live on through you."

Aikman won 90 games in the 1990s, the most by any quarterback in one decade.The top overall pick in the 1989 draft, he guided the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles in four seasons and made six Pro Bowls.

He saved his strongest praise for his teammates, including NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith, who was in the audience and certainly will be on the stage for his own induction someday.

"I did what was asked to help the team win," he said, "and after a career of putting team goals first, it is so extremely gratifying to receive the highest individual honor a player can receive."

Moon became the first black quarterback in the Hall. The only one of the inductees not to win an NFL title, he captured five straight Grey Cups for the Edmonton Eskimos after being undrafted out of the University of Washington.

"I was not really invited to the combine and no coaches came out to give me workouts," Moon said. "It was a foregone conclusion quarterback was not in my future in the NFL, but changing positions was. I was going to play quarterback and I was looking for somebody who would let me do that.

"Thank you Canada."

Moon came back to the United States as a free agent in 1984 and spent 10 seasons in the Houston Oilers' run-and-shoot offense. He also played for Minnesota, Seattle and Kansas City in 17 NFL seasons and passed for more than 70,000 yards (over 42 miles) before he retired at age 44.

"A lot has been said about me being the first African-American quarterback in the Hall of Fame," he said. "It's a subject I am uncomfortable with at times, because I want to be judged only as a quarterback.

"But significance does come with that, I accept that. I remember all the guys before me who blazed that trail to give me the inspiration. I always had that extra burden that I had the responsibility to play the game for my people. I carried that burden proudly."

It took nearly a quarter century for Madden to make it to the Canton shrine. When the moment came Saturday, he got "goofy."

"I started thinking about this after I was voted to the Hall of Fame, and now I know," said Madden, elected by the senior committee for a 103-32-7 coaching record, no losing seasons and the 1977 Super Bowl championship. "At night, when the fans and visitors all leave, then the workers start to leave, then just one person turns out the light, locks the door, and I believe the busts talk to each other. And I can't wait for that conversation.

"We'll be there forever and ever talking about whatever. That's what I believe will happen and no one is ever going to talk me out of that."

Madden might be best known now for his announcing and his video game, but Madden was 36-16-2 against other coaches in the Hall.

Carson became the first inside linebacker from a 3-4 defense to make it to Canton. It was a long-awaited honor -- he retired in 1988 after 13 seasons, nine Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl title with the New York Giants -- that Carson recently had given up on.

Two years ago, after making the final 15 candidates for the sixth straight year but not being elected by a panel of sports writers, Carson asked to have his name withdrawn from consideration.

Carson gave his presenter, son Donald, a long hug before addressing the crowd. Donald Carson suffers from a rare blood disorder.

"This isn't about me, this is about my family," Carson said. "I am so thankful my son presented me this afternoon; he is definitely a man. He's been through so much in the last seven months, more than I could ever have gone through. I never knew needles could be so long."

Wright also played 13 seasons, and won two Super Bowls. He retired in 1979 and was voted in by the seniors committee.

A former college basketball player expecting to play in the NBA, Wright was a tight end who was "stunned" when coach Tom Landry said he was being moved to tackle. "Big Cat" went on to make six consecutive Pro Bowls and help the Cowboys win 10 division titles.

Wright cited the poem "The Road Not Taken" for inspiring his career.

"Through this poem I discovered life would give me choices. It was recognizing those choices that proved to be the greatest challenge," he said in a teary speech. "My instinct was to always take the easy road, but the easy road never came my way.

"I'm privileged to be in such a stellar class."

Story

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

it's right up the street from me bro, . Should be good to watch. tHough the preseason is usually boring.

The local media is buzzing here because Joe Thunder is flipping the coin here . Rumor has it he is the new NFL commish

Just kidding Al.
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Warren Moon...never given his due, even as he is inducted into the Hall, it is a shame black QBs were converted to running backs or receivers due to bigotry.

Dude could have been considered the NFL's all-time greatest if he had a fair shot from the beginning.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Two big collapses in the pllayoffs, including the big one in Buffalo.

Put a ring on the man and that would have helped.

Comment

• Little Texan
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
            Two big collapses in the pllayoffs, including the big one in Buffalo.

Obviously not Moon's fault, either. He got them to a 25 point lead, and after an interception return, 32 points, which should have been more than enough to win the game, but the Oilers started thinking they had the game in the bag, and the Oilers defense collapsed and ultimately lost them the game.

Did anyone else notice that Reggie's bust looked exactly like him? Usually they look nothing like the player, but whoever created Reggie's likeness did an incredible job!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Congrats to all inductees....

Although I'll be glad when everyone's done talking about them....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Jesus Va...lmfao...it's not like WE'LL EVER HEAR ABOUT THEM AGAIN...

EVER!!!

It was a great year of inductees...lots of well knowns...and all deserving...

as for the comments on Moon...I agree wholeheartedly with what he did when he was here..and those few years that he wasn't in the league could have made him immeasurable...

that being said...an appearance in the Super Bowl would have changed everything...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

LOL, I just meant about this weekend....

Kinda a slow weekend, so I saw the same stuff over and over....

It'll be good to watch some football tonight....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

I'm curious as to how NBC is going to cover it, NBC sucks at Nascar, But I Imagine they cannot be worse than CBS when covering a game. CBS Blows Dogs For quarters. I do like the whole "Football Night In America" concept though, Even though we are ripping off the canucks.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I've only seen the 1st 3 plays and I'm firmly convinced that Oakland is going to suck again....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

lmfao...well...let's see...

a guy who hasn't coached in 12 years...Art Shell...who sucked 12 years ago...

Aaron Brooks as your starter...

Moss as your best receiver...who may play 5 games this year...

yep...looking good!
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DlocRoth
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Moss WILL be in the pro bowl this year.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

This is the new starter for The Denver Broncos. His name is Mike Bell and is an UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT. What is with Denver and Running Backs, Whoever their RB coach is, Would probably be the greatest Running Back coach of all time.
                            Who is behind this Big Running Back Spewing machine?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Jeff Posey-LB- Bills Aug. 8 - 11:10 pm et

The Redskins are reportedly interested in free agent LB Jeff Posey.

Marcus Washington is entrenched as Washington's starting SAM, so Posey would likely be a nickel-rushing reserve if he were to land in D.C.

Source: redskins.scout.com

Alge Crumpler-TE- Falcons Aug. 8 - 10:11 pm et

Falcons coach Jim Mora says Alge Crumpler won't play in the preseason.

He's worked in team drills but Atlanta doesn't want to chance a setback in his recovery from shoulder surgery. Crumpler should be fine for Week 1.

Source: atlantafalcons.com

Terrell Owens-WR- Cowboys Aug. 8 - 9:49 pm et

Terrell Owens did light jogging on the side during practice Tuesday.

Owens hadn't done any running since initially injuring his hamstring in early August. He'd only been seen on a bike.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Curtis Martin-RB- Jets Aug. 8 - 9:24 pm et

A "bone-on-bone" condition has reportedly been the cause for Curtis Martin's setback in his rehab from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Martin has no cartilage in his surgically-repaired knee and has been seen walking with an obvious limp around Giants Stadium. Jets coach Eric Mangini says Martin's status for the season, which is clearly uncertain, has not changed.

Source: Newsday

Michael Turner-RB- Chargers Aug. 8 - 9:18 pm et

The Jets may have interest in Chargers RB Michael Turner and/or Cardinals RB Marcel Shipp.

Turner averaged nearly six yards-per-carry as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in '05 and knows Jets coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Both Arizona and San Diego are short on defensive backs, where New York has a number of young talents.

Source: Newsday

Adam Haayer-T- Rams Aug. 8 - 9:01 pm et

Rams signed G/T Adam Haayer and waived T Jason Hilliard.

Haayer suffered a knee injury late last season after starting four games for the Cardinals. Hilliard hasn't appeared in a game since 2004.

Steven Jackson-RB- Rams Aug. 8 - 8:58 pm et

Steven Jackson is expected to play in the Rams' exhibition opener.

St. Louis opens the preseason Thursday. Jackson had a sore Achilles.

Source: stlouisrams.com

Jim Molinaro-T- Redskins Aug. 8 - 8:46 pm et

Redskin Jim Molinaro will have surgery for a torn meniscus Wednesday.

The reserve tackle will miss a few weeks while rehabilitating.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Carlos Rogers-DB- Redskins Aug. 8 - 8:44 pm et

Redskins CB Carlos Rogers returned to practice Tuesday.

Rogers had missed several workouts while experiencing back spasms.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Jabar Gaffney-WR- Eagles Aug. 8 - 8:32 pm et

Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney has struggled with drops in training camp.

Gaffney was invisible in the first preseason game. It's possible undrafted rookie Hank Baskett is now Philadelphia's third receiver.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Cory Withrow-C- Chargers Aug. 8 - 8:22 pm et

Chargers signed C Cory Withrow to a one-year contract.

Withrow made starts for Minnesota in 2005. He'll back up Nick Hardwick.

Kenny King-DL- Cardinals Aug. 8 - 8:16 pm et

The AP reports Cardinals DL Kenny King, who will soon have surgery for a broken hand, will miss about eight weeks while rehabbing.

The promising former fifth-rounder was expected to miss just a month, so he'll be out longer than anticipated. He could be placed on PUP.

Ross Tucker-T- Browns Aug. 8 - 8:17 pm et

Browns acquired C/T Ross Tucker from the Patriots in exchange for a conditional 2007 draft pick.

The Browns have lost two starting centers for the year and have been on a mission, acquiring several journeymen as replacements. A former starter in Buffalo, Tucker will compete with Alonzo Ephraim to be first-string in Cleveland. No Browns skill position player is helped by the deal.

Bob Hallen-G- Browns Aug. 8 - 7:58 pm et

Browns placed C Bob Hallen (back) on the exempt/left-team list.

Hallen was Cleveland's projected starter with LeCharles Bentley out for the year. Recently-signed Alonzo Ephraim had been working with the 1s.

Alfonso Marshall-DB- Bears Aug. 8 - 7:11 pm et

Bears waived CB Alfonso Marshall.

The former seventh-round pick has never seemed able to stay healthy.

Clinton Solomon-WR- Rams Aug. 8 - 7:12 pm et

As expected, the NFL has named Roger Goodell league commissioner.

Goodell, who has been the favorite since the position became available, has served directly behind Paul Tagliabue for several years as the NFL's Chief Operating Officer. He earned credit this offseason as a key negotiator during the league's new Collective Bargaining Agreement process.

Dwight Freeney-DL- Colts Aug. 8 - 6:51 pm et

Dwight Freeney (shoulder) returned to practice on Tuesday afternoon.

Freeney's MRI showed no need for surgery.

Ashley Lelie-WR- Broncos Aug. 8 - 7:16 pm et

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Bears recently spurned a trade offer from the Broncos of Ashley Lelie in exchange for Thomas Jones.

Chicago offered a fourth-round pick for Lelie and Pasquarelli speculates that the Bears may sweeten that deal by including former first-round DL Michael Haynes. While Chicago needs wideouts, Jones is a far more complete player than Lelie and is under contract for more years. The Bears want to keep him.

Source: ESPN.com

Chukky Okobi-C- Steelers Aug. 8 - 6:07 pm et

Steelers C Chukky Okobi suffered a ruptured disk in his kneck Tuesday.

Head coach Bill Cowher fears the injury may be career-threatening. Rookie Marvin Philip will back up Pro Bowler Jeff Hartings for now.

Source: steelers.scout.com

Drew Coleman-DB- Jets Aug. 8 - 5:43 pm et

An MRI revealed Jets CB Drew Coleman has a bone bruise on his knee.

The injury was initially thought to be more severe. He's expected to miss one preseason game, then return to compete for a roster spot.

Source: New York Daily News

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

Working...