PDA

View Full Version : RePuke Ney Gives In

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
from the August 08, 2006 edition

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0808/p04s01-uspo.html

Lawmaker ends reelection bid, lifting GOP's chances in House
By Linda Feldmann | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

WASHINGTON – Rep. Bob Ney has done the Republican Party a big favor. The embattled House member from Ohio's 18th Congressional District announced Monday that he will not seek reelection, a move that gives the GOP a fighting chance to hold on to his seat.
Nationally, Republicans face the strongest Democratic challenge for control of Congress since they took over in 1994, and every race is crucial.

Congressman Ney has been implicated in the influence-peddling scandal surrounding former lobbyist Jack Abramoff, and is under investigation by federal prosecutors. Until Monday, Ney had vowed to fight for reelection, even if indicted. In May he won his primary race with 68 percent of the vote, but early Monday Ney's campaign posted a statement on the Web announcing his withdrawal.

"Ultimately this decision came down to my family," Ney stated. "I must think of them first, and I can no longer put them through this ordeal."

Under Ohio election law, the party faced an Aug. 23 deadline to put a replacement candidate on the ballot. According to the Associated Press, state Sen. Joy Padgett has agreed to take Ney's place on the ballot. Senator Padgett told the AP that both Ney and House majority leader John Boehner(R) of Ohio asked her to run.

"Joy Padgett will be a very strong candidate," says Herb Asher, a political scientist at Ohio State University. "The Democrats will still try to make an issue of musical chairs, but it certainly is good news for the Republicans."

By dropping out before the deadline, Ney has avoided the situation faced by Republicans in Texas seeking to hold on to former Rep. Tom DeLay's seat. Mr. DeLay, another embattled Republican with legal troubles, resigned from Congress after winning his primary and has lost attempts in court to remove his name from the ballot. He is now appealing to the US Supreme Court, but in the meantime, former Rep. Nick Lampson (D) is running for the seat unopposed.

Ms. Padgett is well known in the district and will run against a Democrat, attorney Zack Space, who was not the first choice of his party's congressional campaign committee but who won the primary. Ohio's 18th Congressional District voted an average of 6 percentage points more Republican than the nation as a whole in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections, according to the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

Still, the Republican-controlled state government was roiled last year by a scandal involving the sale of old coins and the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation, and Democrats remain hopeful that the toxic political environment there will work to their candidates' advantage.

Stuart Rothenberg, a nonpartisan political analyst, says the state GOP is in a "shambles," and while getting Ney off the ballot improves Republicans' prospects, the race will be tough. "You have a Republican candidate who will be running a general-election campaign in less than three months, so there are still a lot of challenges," he says. "But Ney was the proverbial albatross around the party's neck, and getting rid of that has to be a plus."

Meanwhile, Ney's legal woes appear to be deepening. Roll Call, a newspaper that covers Capitol Hill, reported Monday that the Justice Department is reviewing statements Ney made two years ago to the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, which could lead to a charge of lying to Congress.

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

"Ultimately this decision came down to my family," Ney stated. "I must think of them first, and I can no longer put them through this ordeal."

Gee, where was all of your concern for your family when you were taking the money, you fucking scumbag? :rolleyes:

I love how these guys always invoke FAMILY and FAITH after they're caught.

FORD
08-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Another criminal scumbag down, but sadly not the worst of the Ohio criminals. Somebody's gotta get to Blackwell.

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Where's Brie with his "lock the bastard up" rant?

Because the money wasn't in a freezer?

LMAO

FORD
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Looks like Ney's chosen replacement is quite the piece of work herself.......

Joy Padgett of Coshocton, Ohio, is an American politician of the Republican party who holds a seat in the Ohio Senate.

In her 2004 bid for a second term, Padgett was challenged by Democratic nominee Terry Anderson of Athens, Ohio, who in the 1980s had been held hostage by Islamic radicals in Lebanon. Anderson's challenge made the race the only seriously contested Ohio Senate race in the 2004 election. After waging a tough and divisive campaign against her opponent, Padgett won re-election with 54 percent of the vote.

During her race against Terry Anderson, Padgett accused Anderson of being a member of the "Blame America crowd", and campaign fliers showed a photograph of Anderson in a meeting with a leader of Hezbollah. In response, Anderson said, "He and his brothers were the ones who kidnapped me, chained me, blindfolded me and beat me. My political opponent uses a picture of that interview to try to win an election."

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_Padgett)

I know there are several people from Ohio on this board, so I gotta ask..... How does your state survive with morons like this crowd running it?

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Fuck.

Right out of the Rove Playbook.

disgusting.

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
anger fueled dupe.:mad:

BigBadBrian
08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Where's Brie with his "lock the bastard up" rant?

Because the money wasn't in a freezer?

LMAO

I'll say that when he's convicted.

With Democrats like Conyers and Williams, it's a given that they're on the take.

:gulp:

ODShowtime
08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I bet that other than having a Republican Senator being corrupted, nothing else was wrong in Ohio. :rolleyes:

I'll tell ya, nothing better than when a fascist enabler fucks up Senate campaign!

So that's Texas, Florida, and Ohio so far. Great job guys! Keep up the good work!

Any of you neocons have anything funny to say about this?

LoungeMachine
08-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I'll say that when he's convicted.

With Democrats like Conyers and Williams, it's a given that they're on the take.

:gulp:

:D :D :D

LMMFAO

Thanks, Brie.

priceless:cool:

Satan
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Ohio Law May Complicate Replacing Ney

By LIZ SIDOTI
Associated Press Writer

NEW PHILADELPHIA, Ohio (AP) -- The leading Republican candidate to replace scandal-scarred Rep. Bob Ney on the November ballot may be ineligible to run, party officials said Tuesday, complicating GOP efforts to assure a smooth transition for the fall campaign.

State Sen. Joy Padgett was a losing contender for lieutenant governor in Ohio's Republican primary earlier this year, and a state law bars politicians who lose one primary from entering another one during the same year.

One Republican strategist, speaking on condition of anonymity, said lawyers had concluded Padgett was likely covered by the law and thus would not be eligible to run.

Padgett, already campaigning, sounded surprised. "As far as I know I have a green light. If this were the case, it's something I need to know about," she said. "Yesterday, everything was rolling forward."

She quickly consulted with national and state party officials. "I just told ... them that if there's something I should know about, call me back," she said.

Ohio GOP Chairman Bob Bennett said the party's counsel would ask for an opinion from the secretary of state on whether the law applies. The secretary of state is Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican and the party's nominee for governor.

"I see where people have raised the issue," Bennett said in a telephone interview, adding that there were conflicting interpretations of the law. "We do not think that it applies."

The developments came one day after Ney announced he would abandon his race for re-election, acting under pressure from party officials who feared the loss of his seat. The six-term lawmaker has come under scrutiny for his ties to Jack Abramoff, a lobbyist at the center of a congressional corruption scandal.

Ney has not been charged, and denies all wrongdoing.

In stepping down, Ney threw his support to Padgett, who also said she had been encouraged by House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, to run.

Gov. Bob Taft is expected to set a date for a primary to fill the ballot vacancy.

The Democratic candidate is Zach Space, a lawyer from Dover in the district's most populous county.

Democrats had already begun to attack Padgett as a political creature of Ney and Taft. The governor has been unpopular since he pleaded no contest last August to failing to report golf outings and other gifts while in office.

"This would just be a continuation of everything that's going on in Washington," Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, said Monday in an opening salvo. "Whether you're in Ohio or in Washington, you can put the Republicans in a paper bag and shake them up."

"I'm sure they're going to try to saddle me with that baggage. They're not running against Bob Ney. They're not running against Bob Taft. They're running against Joy Padgett. It will be a very clear choice between myself and Mr. Space," Padgett said in response to the criticism.

Padgett's elimination would likely clear the way for a more open primary battle. James Brodbelt Harris, who took 30 percent of the vote in the May primary against Ney, also is considering another run.

Ney has not been charged with any crimes, but court papers from Abramoff's guilty plea to fraud and corruption charges detailed lavish gifts and contributions that Abramoff says he gave to an unnamed House member in return for official acts, including support of Abramoff's American Indian tribe clients in Texas. Officials have confirmed that congressman is Ney.

Ohio law requires a primary if a candidate withdraws or dies more than 80 days before a general election. However, the county where Ney would file his official notice of withdrawal, Tuscarawas, had not received Ney's filing Monday.

If Ney were to wait until after the 80-day cutoff - which would be Aug. 21 - there is a four-day window in which county party officials could appoint a replacement, said James Lee, a spokesman for Blackwell.

Satan
08-08-2006, 12:28 PM
The Devil's prediction:

Even though it's illegal under Ohio law for Padgett to run, Uncle Tom Blackwell will find some way to justify it.

BigBadBrian
08-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Satan
...Uncle Tom Blackwell....

I guess any black guy that isn't a Dem is an "Uncle Tom'" huh?

It's people like you that are keeping the black man down.

:)

Satan
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I guess any black guy that isn't a Dem is an "Uncle Tom'" huh?

It's people like you that are keeping the black man down.

:)

A black man who makes other blacks stand outside waiting 12 hours to vote, and then doesn't count their votes - is most definitely, an "Uncle Tom".

DEMON CUNT
08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
This shows us just what a partisan douche BigBland is. He believes that only Democrats can commit criminal acts.

It's quite obvious that this war has not directly affected him.

http://www.kwhitaker.com/mission_accomplished.jpg
Hi BBB! Thanks for the support?