X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

Report: Liriano headed to DL

Sports Ticker

8/8/2006 2:16:07 PM

DETROIT (Ticker) - Their loss to the Detroit Tigers on Monday is proving more devastating for the Minnesota Twins a day later.

According to a report by the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Tuesday, Twins pitching phenom Francisco Liriano is likely to be headed to the disabled list after experiencing more pain near his left elbow during the Tigers' 9-3 win in the opener of a key three-game series.

A surprise contender for the American League Cy Young as a rookie, Liriano lasted only four innings in his first outing since July 28, giving up four runs and 10 hits in his shortest start of the season.

The 22-year-old was close to tears when he spoke with reporters after the game, stating that that the pain he felt was different than that which caused him to be skipped in the rotation last Wednesday.

"I am (scared) because it really bothered me and I don't know what it was," Liriano told the newspaper. "I couldn't throw my fastball, changeup, slider - everything was bothering me.

"I don't know what to say. It's getting worse."

The loss of Liriano, who is 12-3 with an AL-leading 2.19 ERA, would be a major blow to the postseason hopes of the Twins (65-46), who sit just one-half game behind the Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox in the wild card standings.

Liriano, who had given up six runs in his last 12 innings, all against the Tigers, is expected to evaluated by team physician Dr. Dan Buss after the club returns from its road trip later this week.

"We're not going to take any chances with him," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told the paper.

• DlocRoth
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yep....terrible news...

We (the Twins) are fucked. It could have been one hell of a wildcard chase.....
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• redblkwht
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
      Yep....terrible news...

We (the Twins) are fucked. It could have been one hell of a wildcard chase.....
      OUCH!! you lost a starter as well bro, hopefully
      he'll come back as good as he was before the all star break.

EUAS

Comment

• DlocRoth
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
        OUCH!! you lost a starter as well bro, hopefully
        he'll come back as good as he was before the all star break.
        Fuckin A right.

But my pitching sucks anyways.

But on the bright side, Radke beat Detroit tonight.
        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

Working...