PDA

View Full Version : Army Considers Military Theme Park

Steve Savicki
08-08-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,109203,00.html

FORT BELVOIR, Va. - The Army is considering a proposal to allow a private developer to build a military theme park that would include "4D" rides and bars including a "1st Division Lounge," local officials said.

The massive entertainment and hotel complex next to a national Army museum could draw more than 1 million people a year but Fairfax County authorities are objecting because of already traffic-clogged roads surrounding the proposed site.

Universal City Property Management III, of Orlando, Fla., submitted the unsolicited proposal for the theme park last year.

"You can command the latest M-1 tank, feel the rush of a paratrooper freefall, fly a Cobra Gunship or defend your B-17 as a waist gunner," according to the proposal, which was obtained by The Washington Post.

County officials have no authority over the Army's decision because the site is federal property. County Supervisor T. Dana Kauffman said he thought the entertainment concept died last year and said he had no interest in turning a military museum into "Disney on Rolling Road."

But the Army notified the county last week it is planning to move the military museum from Fort Belvoir to a site a few miles away that would be large enough for the entertainment complex.

The Army is studying "a visitor destination concept" for the museum, a spokesman said, but provided no details and would not comment on the Universal City proposal.

<center>So is this honoring the soldiers or putting more money into corporate pockets?</center>

LoungeMachine
08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
This already exists, doesn't it?

It's called The National Guard

Va Beach VH Fan
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
LOL, yeah that's what that area needs, a theme park right near the beltway....

matt19
08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
This already exists, doesn't it?

It's called The National Guard

LMAO

knuckleboner
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
LOL, yeah that's what that area needs, a theme park right near the beltway....

that, and the 22,000 new employees that are being shifted over to belvoir from the BRAC commission...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
that, and the 22,000 new employees that are being shifted over to belvoir from the BRAC commission...

Wow...

And I thought that Rt. 1 couldn't have been more crowded....

My youngest son was born at Ft. Belvoir in '93....

knuckleboner
08-09-2006, 04:58 PM
heh...route 1 CAN'T get more crowded. (and that includes weekends now, i'm afraid.) but "rush hour" on it CAN get longer and longer...

BITEYOASS
08-10-2006, 08:16 PM
An amusement park would not be a good idea if your trying to display the seriousness of war. I say keep it in a museum/live display setting.