PDA

View Full Version : Tony Snow Links Lamont to Terrorism

LoungeMachine
08-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Ned Lamont, Tony Snow and Jellyfish
by Victoria Holt | August 9th, 2006

Much of the media’s attention is focused on the defeat in Connecticut of Sen. Joe Lieberman in the Democrat primary on Tuesday, and the nomination of Ned Lamont as the Democrat’s candidate for Senate. Attention is also on Lieberman’s declaration that he will still run for Senate – as an Independent.

White House spokesman Tony Snow, at the “Western White House” today, addressed these events, of course, announcing that “the stakes are high.” But rather than call for support for the Republican candidate for Senate in Connecticut, Snow instead suggested that the nomination of Lamont was going to encourage terrorists, lead Iraq to become a failed state, damage American credibility, and offer up a “white flag” to the war on terror. He also managed to link Lamont’s upstart nomination to threats to the US from Iran, North Korea, and terrorists worldwide (again, and again).

Lamont seems to have shaken up more than Connecticut. If he is that powerful, perhaps he should be in the Senate.

Snow, no surprise, was trying to suggest that Democrats, by embracing Lamont, were representing the Democratic leadership’s approach to all foreign policy issues. Did he miss the fact that the national Democratic leadership generally embraced Lieberman? And that Lieberman defended the President? And that grassroots voices in Connecticut may not be expressing an easily, immediately discernable point of view?

Sometimes it takes a few days to sort out such messages, such as whether Lamont represents a re-alignment for Democrats or a more mainstream, bipartisan concern with the direction of war in Iraq. Or something else altogether. Things can seem to happen out of the blue, of course. I was recently in Connecticut’s neighboring state, Rhode Island. After a lifetime of swimming at the same beach right on the Connecticut border, I got stung – for the first time – by a Portuguese man o’ war jellyfish. Such jelly monsters have no business in New England! The sea creature left one leg bruised badly; my family had a happy burial for the animal after it washed up on the sand.

Like the occasional attack by an unexpected jellyfish, politics can express surprising results, especially to those who have not anticipated change. It will take a few more days and weeks to understand if Lamont represents new political focus for the critics of President Bush and his Iraq policy; it will take a few more months to understand what course we will see at the polls in November; and it will be a few more years before we know if a new President will take our nation in a different direction. From my point of view, we should be open to such change and messages. Lamont is not to be derided by Snow, rather, he should seek to understand that holding the course – no changes – may leave you ill-prepared for shifts at home or abroad, on land or at the beach.

Satan
08-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Tony Snow IS a terrorist.

diamondD
08-11-2006, 06:56 AM
About as much as you are Satan...

Satan
08-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
About as much as you are Satan...

Terror has never been one of my chosen methods, despite the bad reputation some try to cast on me :(

LoungeMachine
08-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Fri, Aug. 11, 2006

GOP accuses Democrats of being weak on terrorism
BY KEN HERMAN
COX NEWS SERVICE
WASHINGTON - When Vice President Cheney went out of his way on Wednesday to blast Democrats as weak on terrorism, he knew something that few Americans knew: Another stark reminder of the dangers of terrorism was about to hit the headlines.

The White House confirmed Thursday that senior administration officials have been aware since at least last weekend that British authorities were moving toward arrests in an alleged plot to bomb international flights.

Some of these top officials worked in concert with the Republican National Committee to blast Democrats after Tuesday's primary defeat of Democratic Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, a supporter of President Bush's Iraqi war strategy.

Lieberman lost to Ned Lamont, a businessman who ran on an anti-war message.

Cheney, in a rare chat with reporters, said Lamont's win signified that many Democrats want to go back to "sort of the pre-9/11 mind set in terms of how we deal with the world we live in."

"So it's an unfortunate development, I think, from the standpoint of the Democratic Party to see a man like Lieberman pushed aside because of his willingness to support an aggressive posture in terms of our national security strategy," Cheney said.

His comments, from Wyoming, came in a teleconference with wire service reporters. They were part of a GOP offensive that questioned Democrats' willingness to defend the country and labeled them as "defeatocrats."

Howard Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, responded to the British arrests by calling for a new direction in defense policy "that's tough and smart" and for Americans to be "unwavering in our commitment to fighting and winning the war on terror."

White House spokesman Tony Snow was asked Thursday if the GOP effort was linked to the knowledge that the world was about to get a stark reminder about terrorism.

"I don't want to get into operational details," Snow said aboard Air Force One as Bush headed to Wisconsin for several events. "Let me put it this way. I don't want to encourage that line of thought. I don't think it's fully accurate, but I also don't want, I know it's frustrating, but we really don't want to get too much into who knew what, where, when."

Snow said "it's safe to say" that Bush had been "extensively briefed over the last few days as the operation that took place became more and more imminent."

Snow said the British investigation was a topic of a Sunday briefing in which Bush took part.

LoungeMachine
08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

White House spokesman Tony Snow was asked Thursday if the GOP effort was linked to the knowledge that the world was about to get a stark reminder about terrorism.

"I don't want to get into operational details," Snow said aboard Air Force One as Bush headed to Wisconsin for several events. "Let me put it this way. I don't want to encourage that line of thought. I don't think it's fully accurate, but I also don't want, I know it's frustrating, but we really don't want to get too much into who knew what, where, when."

Snow said "it's safe to say" that Bush had been "extensively briefed over the last few days as the operation that took place became more and more imminent."

Snow said the British investigation was a topic of a Sunday briefing in which Bush took part.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

diamondD
08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
So what you are saying is that you are shocked than any political party would use a current affair for political gain?

LoungeMachine
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
So what you are saying is that you are shocked than any political party would use a current affair for political gain?

Not as shocked as I am that you're not denying what they're doing ;)

Karl Rove was recently quoted as saying God kills a kitten every time Lamont gets a vote.

Good. The world has too many kittens.

BigBadBrian
08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Terror has never been one of my chosen methods, despite the bad reputation some try to cast on me :(

Sure it is. We know all the Islamic people are going to hell.

:gulp:

Satan
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Sure it is. We know all the Islamic people are going to hell.

...where they can move in right next door to many self-professing "christians".

diamondD
08-11-2006, 05:42 PM

Actually, what I meant was, Tony Snow is as much a terrorist as FORD is really Satan. There was no comma. ;)

ELVIS
08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Lamont is not a terrorist !!

http://www.ravenblond.com/pgloeckner/images/Sanford07.JPG

:elvis:

BigBadBrian
08-12-2006, 06:35 AM
...where they can move in right next door to many self-professing "christians".

Yeah, like that nutball FORD.

Amen.

ELVIS
08-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I guess professing to be a Christian is bad...:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I guess professing to be a Christian is bad...:rolleyes:

God, you're really stupid.

Thick.

:rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
God, you're really stupid.

Thick.

Geez...look who's talking.

DEMON CUNT
08-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I guess professing to be a Christian is bad...

Not really.

You do have to understand that there is some responsibility that goes along with this claim. As in that whole "Love thine enemies" stuff that so many neocons ignore.

DEMON CUNT
08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Geez...look who's talking.

I know you are but what am i?

http://www.bitetv.ca/blog/archives/happy%20pee%20wee.jpg