iPod? MP3 player? What's your take or preference?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RuzDNailz
    Foot Soldier
    • Nov 2004

iPod? MP3 player? What's your take or preference?

I was very tempted to scoop up an iPod unit and join the craze after my no-good P.O.S. Lyra decided to croak on me YET AGAIN! I will never touch an RCA MP3 player again! Period! I don't care if it's free or as a prize, I will smash it up and spare it the misery it deserves.
    Okay, got that out of my head.

Now, I scooped up an iRiver model and had better luck with it. Works FAR better than the Lyra but I decided last minute to pass on an iPod.
    I backed out last minute because those kinds of players have one big downside to me. Batteries. I learned that iPods are great devices, but if that battery dies, you gotta dispute it out with Apple and send the whole unit out and pay a certain fee for a replacement. Now, I hope that Apple fixed that flaw and made them available in retail stores.

I chose the super-compact iRiver because one AAA battery is good enough for 15 hours and I can always go to the Dollar Store and pay a buck for some cheap-ass batteries that will last a while. I load up my CVH tunes and crank them up while riding the 18-window coupe.
    They're cheaper and less discreet to carry around everywhere.

What's your take on this subject? Do you prefer iPods or the alternatives?
  • MERRYKISSMASS2U
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

iPod or nothing.

60 gb ipod photo here! THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY APPLE.

Comment

• RuzDNailz
      Foot Soldier
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
      iPod or nothing.

60 gb ipod photo here! THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY APPLE.
      It's funny, though. The VERY first computer I ever used was a Macintosh computer from 1986 and that goes WAYYYY back. The thing I always admired about MACs is the fact that they always came with a soundcard. PCs where a bitch because you had to buy them yourself and install them and go through all the trouble until the early-to mid 90's when PC's where already equipped with them.

*sigh* Seemed like having a sound card was like a luxury back in those days.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Most PC's today come with an onboard sound card. I never like Macs before OS X.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Putting in a soundcard was never a hassle for me. All of my computers, besides my laptop, are home made.

Comment

• RuzDNailz
            Foot Soldier
            • Nov 2004

My older computer was a built one. It gave me problems that are almost too long to list! But I'm cautious now these days. Heck, know what I still got kept in a box? Commodore 64! Now we're talking ultra retro computers!

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by RuzDNailz
              My older computer was a built one. It gave me problems that are almost too long to list! But I'm cautious now these days. Heck, know what I still got kept in a box? Commodore 64! Now we're talking ultra retro computers!
              Home made PCs are so much better because they are cheaper, and are of much higher quality.

Comment

• RuzDNailz
                Foot Soldier
                • Nov 2004

It's true if you know the person building it for you. Of course, if you are a pro at doing it yourself, then that is a great bonus. I wish I can do something like that.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                  Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

It's true if you know the person building it for you. Of course, if you are a pro at doing it yourself, then that is a great bonus. I wish I can do something like that.

It's really something that doesn't require a lot of skill. The only "hard part" is making sure that all your pieces are compatible before you but it. Then all you have to do is some basic screwdriver work. Working somewhat carefully too.

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Re: iPod? MP3 player? What's your take or preference?

I was very tempted to scoop up an iPod unit and join the craze after my no-good P.O.S. Lyra decided to croak on me YET AGAIN! I will never touch an RCA MP3 player again! Period! I don't care if it's free or as a prize, I will smash it up and spare it the misery it deserves.
                    Okay, got that out of my head.

Now, I scooped up an iRiver model and had better luck with it. Works FAR better than the Lyra but I decided last minute to pass on an iPod.
                    I backed out last minute because those kinds of players have one big downside to me. Batteries. I learned that iPods are great devices, but if that battery dies, you gotta dispute it out with Apple and send the whole unit out and pay a certain fee for a replacement. Now, I hope that Apple fixed that flaw and made them available in retail stores.

I chose the super-compact iRiver because one AAA battery is good enough for 15 hours and I can always go to the Dollar Store and pay a buck for some cheap-ass batteries that will last a while. I load up my CVH tunes and crank them up while riding the 18-window coupe.
                    They're cheaper and less discreet to carry around everywhere.

What's your take on this subject? Do you prefer iPods or the alternatives?
                    I have a Creative MuVo Tx Mp3 player. Doesn't need a special docking system or a specific program to upload songs with, you just plug it in via USB and it's smaller than the iPod. (The only downside is the 512 MB of space, but I'm for quality than content)
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                      I have a Creative MuVo Tx Mp3 player. Doesn't need a special docking system or a specific program to upload songs with, you just plug it in via USB and it's smaller than the iPod. (The only downside is the 512 MB of space, but I'm for quality than content)

That is nothing. Ipod doesnt require anything special. It works with ephpod, yamipod, gtkpod, etc.... 512 Mb full of 320kbps mp3 files is going to get you nowhere.

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
                        512 Mb full of 320kbps mp3 files is going to get you nowhere.
                        At least I don't have a difficulty of choice, music-wise.
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                          At least I don't have a difficulty of choice, music-wise.
                          With a larger hard drive, their is no choice. Drag and drop it all! Although my music won't fit on a 60 gb

Comment

• RuzDNailz
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Nov 2004

I went through 3 different RCA Lyra players in a span of 5 months!
                            iRiver has been like a charm so far (knock on wood). I was shocked at that little cube player. Darn thing is almost as small as a sugar cube!
                            I like the compact players but that is plainly going overboard.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

I got a free black 4GB ipod nano from the bank over here. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not that picky. I do wish the storage was a little bigger though, even though I've only filled half of it so far. But that's me being conservative with what I want on there.

That Zen Neeon2 does look pretty spiffy. But I'm a girl and pretty things attract my attention.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...