PDA

View Full Version : Worst of Led Zeppelin

Mr. Vengeance
08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
The immediate choice would be Coda, I guess. It was just pieced together with that long drum solo after John Bonham's death. There are some nice moments, but it simply isn't as good as those other classic albums. Even the odd Presence, had better tunes than this one.

Panamark
08-16-2006, 03:38 AM
I dont like the live version of "Whole lotta Love" when Mr Page
plays a completely different riff...

Actually a lot of their live stuff was a bit sloppy due to JP...
Studio: I guess CODA is the worst..

FUCKIT I HAVE IT !!!!

When Pagey collaborated with Poofter Daddy or Poopy Snoopy Dog
or whatever his fookin name was.. (Kashmir Rap Sample)

Thats your Led Zep low point right there...

binnie
08-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Pressence - nothing much good about that one, in comparison to earlier works anyway....

Mr Badguy
08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
I would pick "In through the out door".

The leftover songs from those sessions that made it to "Coda" would have made "ITTOD" a better album than "Hot dog", "Fool in the rain", "South bound Saurez" or "All my love".

You have to remeber that they used up all of their good leftover songs to fill out "Physical graffiti" so there wasn`t much left for "Coda".

Jérôme Frenchise
08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
The "worst"... I'd rather say the "least good". :)

"Coda" is a compilation, not an album, so I would keep it out of topic, though I like it a lot ("Wearing and tearing", "We're gonna groove", "Walter's Walk" kick elephants' butts, that awesome version of "I can't quit you baby" at the Royal Albert Hall, "Darlene", "Ozone Baby", both from the "In through the out door" sessions, the former above all, could have replaced most of the tracks in the album, as Mr Badguy points out, and "Poor Tom" could have been included in any album, without lessening them IMO.
Oh, that's 7 tracks out of 8. I kind of like "Bonzo's Montreux", in addition. :D

I wouldn't say "worst" of, I'd rather say what album is less strong, and I think it's "In Through the Out Door", which is the most commonly stated.
As far as the Led Zep albums I've played the least in the last 22 years, it's a tie between "In Through the Out Door" and "Houses of the Holy". But objectively the ones in which you have weak tracks, which you don't find in other albums, are "Presence" ("Royal Orleans", "Candy Store Rock", and "Hots on for nowhere", that's 3 out of 7) and "In Through the Out Door" ("South bound Saurez", "Fool in the rain" and "Hot Dog", that's the same score; I won't criticize "All my Love" for Robert wrote it for his deceased son, when you have that in mind, well...).
Anyway, a 7-track album can't be a great one. To me the best Led Zeppelin album is "Physical Graffitti" mainly because it is a double album. :)

Mr. Vengeance
08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I have to give up some affection for In Through the Out Door. I loved it. I thought that with the exception of Hot Dog, it was all good. At times it rocked, and then swung beautifully. Sometimes in the same song- In the Evening, Carouselambra...

And I love Fool in the Rain. It has possibly my favorite guitar solo Page ever did- that fuzztone solo just kicked ass!

But, this is about "worst of" so I'll end my defense of ITTOD there.

Matt White
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
In Through the Out Door...which is still a damn fine record....

Tough to pick...they have the strongest musical output of anybody.....

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Individual song-wise, I've always HATED "IMMIGRANT SONG". Big dumb riff, big dumb yodelling, etc etc.

Made all the worse, because otherwise III is one of my faves "always LOVED.

BTW, one of my alltime fave Zep tracks is "What Can I Do?", which is an outtake from III.

CROWBAR
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Coda was nothing but leftover studio tracks to my knowledge. Only a couple of good ones there. Most people point their finger at In Through The Outdoor, as it was keyboard heavy. John Paul Jones carried this album because Page was still addicted to heroin at the time. Plus, Robert Plant was still mourning the loss of his son I believe. If you listen closely, there are many good things to be said about that album.

Presence always seemed to get dogged, but it was Page's guitar opus. Achille's Last Stand? Full on! I personally like the album.

Hard call, as there really wasn't anything weak that Led Zeppelin ever did.

ALMOSTsaved
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
As far as personal taste goes, my least fave song by Zeppelin is "Fool In The Rain." I know many love it, but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

binnie
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
A lot of people I know would say LZIII was the worst record, but I love that one. To me it proves that Zep were more than a great rock band, they were a great band period.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-16-2006, 03:20 PM
The song "Hats off to Roy Harper" sucked ass.

Terry
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Don't really listen to much of the following anymore, even though I have all of LZ's stuff in my collection:

The Song Remains The Same soundtrack
Coda
In Through The Out Door

My fave Zep period ran from Houses of the Holy through to Presence (gotta disagree with you, Binnie, because Presence fuckin' ROCKED)

I don't need to listen to Led Zep 4 ever again. Not on the radio, not on CD, nothin'. That shit is burned into my brain forever, and have heard it so many times - I throw on When The Levee Breaks once in a great while, and that's about it.

Same goes for Led Zeppelin 2 - but it's the Lemon Song on that one that gets a yearly airing.

Side 2 of Led Zep 3 is fantastick.

binnie
08-17-2006, 03:59 AM
So must people would say In Through The Outdoor it seems.

I'm gonna listen to that later - hardly ever do anymore.....

DrMaddVibe
08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
GM has ruined the song "Rock n' Roll" FOREVER! Now if I even hear 3 chords put together in that fashion I cringe.

Their worst for me was "Presence". Just not enough there, and heroin fueled riffs with near death crashes detoured their efforts. I liked "ITTOD". It was Led Zeppelin growing old, but not old enough to rock. I had tickets for the tour that never was, and was really looking forward to what their next release would've sounded like. I believe that "Radioactive" would've been killer with Plant singing. Page stayed true to his roots...Plant sold out. The "cherry" on top was when they cut John Paul Jones out and toured without him. THAT was just wrong. They could've grabbed Jason or Collins and done a better effort.

ODShowtime
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Darlene...

White summer from the '80 tour is just really tough to sit through. So is Hotdog too actually.

ODShowtime
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
GM has ruined the song "Rock n' Roll" FOREVER! Now if I even hear 3 chords put together in that fashion I cringe.
effort.

At least Bonzo really liked cars. That's the only thing that keeps me from really hating those commercials.

rustoffa
08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Have to go with Coda.

Presence is a good record. Achilles Last Stand is a prime example of Jimmy loving the studio.

Scorching stuff right there.

Jack68
08-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Cant say nothing bad about zep.had the balls and integrity to hang it up after bonzo died.Really the band was done after plants son died but he soldiered on.The worst of zep wopuld just be page being a smackhead and just being embarrassing on stage for the last 2 tours.Fucking awful.I think presence rocks.

blueturk
08-19-2006, 09:24 AM
"The Song Remains The Same" sucks ASS.

Mr. Vengeance
08-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
"The Song Remains The Same" sucks ASS.

I always loved Zep in the studio, hated them live.

PumpedUpMidget
08-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Most of 'In Through the Out Door'

Matt White
08-19-2006, 12:17 PM
The LIVE DVD shows the powerhouse ZEP was live...the SONG REMAINS THE SAME is an off night...which happens to EVERYBODY....

There are tons of ZEP boots out there that show how incredible a live band they were....

Who else played 4 hour shows? WITHOUT a warmup act???

blueturk
08-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I always loved Zep in the studio, hated them live.

I've got a Danish TV appearance from 1970 that's fucking great. But I agree with you; in general, Zep wasn't very good live. The show I have is an aberration....

Matt White
08-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
The LIVE DVD shows the powerhouse ZEP was live...the SONG REMAINS THE SAME is an off night...which happens to EVERYBODY....

There are tons of ZEP boots out there that show how incredible a live band they were....

Who else played 4 hour shows? WITHOUT a warmup act??? .

flappo
08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
in through the out door is terrible

really shit , especially compared to presence and the seminal physical graffiti

zep 3 is pretty dull too , apart from the maginifcence that is 'immigrant song' arguably zep's finest moment imo

Arashi
08-19-2006, 06:39 PM
-LZIII was widely panned by critics upon initial release, and with good reason - many of the pieces, especially after the previous year's two releases, are definitely NOT up to snuff.
-In Through the Out Door had a few good songs, but the rest of it sucked. Even Presence was a bit of a step down from Physical Graffiti.
-The Song Remains the Same is sucky live Zep. The DVD and (in my opinion) How the West Was Won are good live Zep. The BBC sessions discs were okay but not incredible.

Before, I thought this would be hard to do, but then I realized.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Arashi
Before, I thought this would be hard to do, but then I realized.

Uh-huh. :confused:

flappo
08-19-2006, 07:48 PM
basically zep sucked after 1976

queen and ac/dc filled up their musical vacuum

BIG TIME

nowadays there's NOBODY to carry the lanetern of real rock n roll

the fucking darkness ? don't make me larf

Jérôme Frenchise
08-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by flappo
basically zep sucked after 1976

queen and ac/dc filled up their musical vacuum

BIG TIME

nowadays there's NOBODY to carry the lanetern of real rock n roll

the fucking darkness ? don't make me larf

The Black Crowes do hold the lantern IMO. :cool:

Mr. Vengeance
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I really don't get the anti-InThrough The Out Door stuff. I thought it was a beautiful comeback. In The Evening, All My Love, Carouselambra, Fool in the Rain....it wasn't the hard rocking Zep, but it just had some magic.

binnie
08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
It's not that In Through the Outdoor and Pressence were bad records, thy just ween't up to former glories.

Bad Zep is still better than most!

blueturk
08-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I really don't get the anti-InThrough The Out Door stuff. I thought it was a beautiful comeback. In The Evening, All My Love, Carouselambra, Fool in the Rain....it wasn't the hard rocking Zep, but it just had some magic.

And I don't get the anti-"Presence" thing. I don't think it's bad at all....

flappo
08-23-2006, 12:58 PM
presence was fucking awesome

achilles last stand is a masterwork

diamondD
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I can't pick my least favorite. Led Zep never made a bad song IMO on the true studio albums.

binnie
08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think they ever made anything "bad" except by their own standards.....

They just seemed a bit lazy on their last two records....

ODShowtime
08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
I've got a Danish TV appearance from 1970 that's fucking great. But I agree with you; in general, Zep wasn't very good live. The show I have is an aberration....

You seem to be misled. Buying How the West Was Won should clear it right up.