PDA

View Full Version : Worst of AC/DC

Mr. Vengeance
08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
This is a tough one for me...My favorite band... so I can't think of wanting to call something "worst"...but I have to say that my least favorite AC/DC album has to be, by far, Blow up Your Video. The songs are not as hard rocking. The title is silly and the album cover is embarassingly lame. But, as usual with AC/DC, it's not a bad album. Just THEIR worst.

singerman
08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
this will be a short thread cos we all know the worst album was 'fly on the wall'...more like 'fly on the shit'....cant tell you how disappointed i was when i played that album for the first (and only) time

binnie
08-16-2006, 04:26 AM
ooooo, difficult one.

I really don't like Ballbreaker - the songs are all too long, too slow and just seems to be directionless, so I'll pick that one.

But if I'm honest, I hardly ever listen to anything after Back in Black.

Although I quite enjoyed Stiff Upper Lip....

Mr Badguy
08-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Definetely "Ballbreaker".

Ruck Rubin fucked up the production.

The guitars are too quite and not distorted enough.

I can live with all the 80`s albums, they`re kinda party albums and not meant to be taken too seriously.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-16-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd vote for the only 2 albums I don't have, "Blow up your video" and "Ballbreaker", which I was lent and I found pointless. But there are a bunch of weak or even useless tracks from "For those about to rock" to "Blow up your video", the lack of inspiration reaching ridiculous at some points...
Then as far as I'm concerned the only albums that make it are 1) "Razor's Edge", my fave; 2) "Hell's Bells"; 3) "Stiff Upper Lip".
I consider the rest as very far below those three. :cool:

The_KiD
08-16-2006, 08:35 AM
I would agree on "Blow up your video" and "Ballbreaker". I do not own them either and for good reason.. I just never took to the material. I think the rest of their catalog is SOLID..

What a great fucking band!

(I still remember the first time I heard "Highway to Hell" on vinyl just cranked to death.)

KiD

Matt White
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Anything after .."For Those Aboot to Rock"....

Hardrock69
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Ya know...that is one band out of only 2 that has been around for 30 years that I can say I own every album by....

The other one is Judas Priest....

I have most of the Rush albums...but not all...

Yeah I would say "Fly On The Wall" is kinda weak, but there are still a few tracks I think are decent.

Little Texan
08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Ballbreaker was pretty weak, but I'm gonna say Stiff Upper Lip. Never could quite get into that album.

Vinnie Velvet
08-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I would say Blow Up Your Video is one of their worst, in addition to some of the more recent stuff (though I did like Stiff Upper Lip, the song).

Terry
08-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Kinda stopped anticipating new AC/DC releases around the point of Flick Of The Switch.

Thought The Razor's Edge had some good stuff on it. Even like Sink The Pink and Shake Your Foundations off of Fly On The Wall, but it was around FOTS that each new AC/DC release sounded more or less the same to me. Thought Heatseeker was a good track, but Brian's voice just started irritating me around the mid-1980s.

PumpedUpMidget
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Nothing by Bon would classify as 'worst', Brian has just never done it for me, he has had his bright spots, but for the most part.....

binnie
08-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Do we have word on a new ACDC record yet??

Satan
08-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
Nothing by Bon would classify as 'worst'

Not even "Love Song"? ;)

Satan
08-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Unholy shit! I didn't know this video existed.........

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/clES2hZdYA8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/clES2hZdYA8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ac/Dc (original lineup) - "Can I Sit Next To You Girl" 1974

DrMaddVibe
08-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

Naw..."Stiff Upper Lip"...bro, check it out.

DrMaddVibe
08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Kinda stopped anticipating new AC/DC releases around the point of Flick Of The Switch.

Thought The Razor's Edge had some good stuff on it. Even like Sink The Pink and Shake Your Foundations off of Fly On The Wall, but it was around FOTS that each new AC/DC release sounded more or less the same to me. Thought Heatseeker was a good track, but Brian's voice just started irritating me around the mid-1980s.

You could always look forward to a great summer release from them and CVH.

After Scott's death I felt they grabbed the wrong vocalist...The guy from Krokus had the "whine" that Bon had. Bon had the swagger like he was the "only one in on a good prank" smirk, he had stories to tell and did through a song. Johnson just screams. I saw them on the last tour here in Tampa with my son, and it was just bad. Even Johnson couldn't sing his own tunes!

Always liked "Big Gun"

Shaun Ponsonby
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Do we have word on a new ACDC record yet??

They've finished the songs...they just need to get into the studio. And hurry the fook up as well.

I'm going with "Blow Up Your Video"-give or take the odd track.

binnie
08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
They've finished the songs...they just need to get into the studio. And hurry the fook up as well.

Cheers SP, I hadn't heard anything for a while....

Terry
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
You could always look forward to a great summer release from them and CVH.

After Scott's death I felt they grabbed the wrong vocalist...The guy from Krokus had the "whine" that Bon had. Bon had the swagger like he was the "only one in on a good prank" smirk, he had stories to tell and did through a song. Johnson just screams. I saw them on the last tour here in Tampa with my son, and it was just bad. Even Johnson couldn't sing his own tunes!

Always liked "Big Gun"

Marc Storace? Yeah, I guess I can see that. The voice would have been comparable.

God, fuckin' Krokus were TERRIBLE. The one thing they did that stands out in my mind to this day was a godawful cover of School's Out. Like, I remember watching the video back in the day when it was still fresh and literally laughing out loud...

Johnson did some nice stuff with AC/DC on the first two records...screaming to be sure, but had a bit of range he played around with within the screaming. After For Those About To Rock, his voice just sounded like some incontinent old geezer with asthma trying to pinch out a loaf.

The last thing I heard of AC/DC live was a version of You Shook me All Night Long from about maybe five or so years ago, and that fucker's voice was knackered.

Matt White
08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Naw..."Stiff Upper Lip"...bro, check it out.

Naw...I heard it....

They just refuse to stop rehashing past glories....

Look at those 70's recorsd...they were moving along fine until BON up and died...and the first couple with Brian rocked....

Must have run out of songs from BON's notebooks!!!;)

Truly though...they got old...no crime in that...they still rock live...AND play some BON era gems...didn't they open the last tour with HELL AIN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE???

BRILLIANT

rustoffa
08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
IMO, Powerage is the epitome of AC/DC @ their worst. It's no wonder this recording is seldom-mentioned. Why? It's cuntpletely forgettable. I had actually forgotten about it until seeing a "Sin City" tag on Youtube. Just watch 'em fumble through arguably one of the crappiest songs they ever recorded.
:(

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVn9y91PjLI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TVn9y91PjLI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Matt White
08-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Yowzah...POWERAGE is my Fav.....:confused:

DrMaddVibe
08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
And "Sin City" is my fave song!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
If one ACDC song is bad, they all are because they're completely identical.

rustoffa
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM

I was so kidding, it's not even funny.:D

Everybody flyin' cross the sky...Superman was outta town!!!

:killer:

Satan
08-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
If one ACDC song is bad, they all are because they're completely identical.

True on the Brian Johnson albums. But each of the 6 albums with Bon Scott had its own sound.

Brett
08-18-2006, 03:33 AM
The Brian Johnson shit is all forumlatic. With Bon Scott, they were much more diverse...well as diverse as AC/DC can be.

I've actually been listening to "Powerage" all week. That's a really underrated album.

Brett
08-18-2006, 03:35 AM

I agree, but "Flick Of The Switch" is tolerable, and "The Razor's Edge" has some good stuff on it. Other than that, their last 20 years have been full of really week albums.

Matt White
08-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I was so kidding, it's not even funny.:D

Everybody flyin' cross the sky...Superman was outta town!!!

:killer:

:D I think we've discussed this before.....:D

"Allright Officer, I confess,
everything is comin' back,
I didn't mean to hurt that woman of mine,
it was a haert-attack!"

"Livin' on a shoe string,
a fifty-cent millionare,
open to charity,
I rock 'n' roll to welfare."

BON was a fucking genius....

if anybody gets the chance...pick up [I]HIGHWAY TO HELL: The life and times of AC/DC legend BON SCOTT by Clinton Walker

I got it in the spring...VERY informative aboot BON before AC/DC...

HE WASN'T their "driver"...they knew damn well who he was...he had several successful bands BEFORE AC/DC in OZ.....BRILLIANT book

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1891241133.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

binnie
08-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Stiff Upper Lip wa better than most of the Johnson albums, but there's no way they are gonna make a record that comes close to the Bon era.

To me, they're a touring band - I'll go see them to hear all the hits.

I'll buy the next record but I'm not expecting much - to me, a record just means that a tour is immanent....

fe_lung
08-18-2006, 08:44 AM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Ditto

As for SUL...I think it was the best album anyone could have expected from AC/DC in the year 2000. But, it was nowhere near as good as the glory days with Bon.

binnie
08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
It's interesting that Poerage is a lot of people's fave's.

Mine is "Let there Be Rock", with Powerage a close second.

But Back in Black and Highway.... were the big sellers, and I thought that I would be alone in putting them lower on the preference scale....

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I do think BIB is slightly overrated...

FORD
08-18-2006, 12:48 PM

After Scott's death I felt they grabbed the wrong vocalist...The guy from Krokus had the "whine" that Bon had.

Couldn't find a video for "Long Stick Goes Boom" which was Krokus' most blatant Ac/Dc ripoff, but this one will do....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CVsjTgrngc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CVsjTgrngc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Not quite an obvious Bon ripoff on this one, at least until he gets to the "Don't stop me...." part ;)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2006, 01:02 PM

Apparently, Bon was a famn of Brian's from his Geordie days.

binnie
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Apparently, Bon was a famn of Brian's from his Geordie days.

Yeah, I heard that too. The rumour is that ACDC saw Geordie and Bon said "if anything ever happens to me I want him (BJ) to replace me". Sounds a bit too Holywood for me.....

binnie
08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I do think BIB is slightly overrated...

I think it's overplayed, which means it gets ruined. A bit like "Jump"

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
No.

I just don't think its the GRATE album people say it is.

Matt White
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Yeah, I heard that too. The rumour is that ACDC saw Geordie and Bon said "if anything ever happens to me I want him (BJ) to replace me". Sounds a bit too Holywood for me.....

Geordie opened for BON's band Fraternity in the early 70's....71 or 72 in England...BON liked Brian's voice and style....

Matt White
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
BACK IN BLACK is the 4th biggest seller Worldwide in history...with over 60 million sold....

CLASSIC

Little Texan
08-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I used to love BIB, but they have way overplayed all of the songs so much that it's not even enjoyable to listen to anymore. If I hear "You Shook Me All Night Long" again, I'm going to scream! It was great the first 20 or so times I heard it, not so much the last 1,000,000,000,000,000 times I've heard it on the radio.

Matt White
08-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I still like GIVIN' THE DOG A BONE & WHATD'YA DO FOR MONEY HONEY......

MONSTER RIFFS on that cd.....

Mr. Vengeance
08-18-2006, 11:17 PM
BIB is my second fave album, all time, after Highway to Hell. My favorite song of all time is Hell's Bells.

Brett
08-19-2006, 02:15 AM
I rarely listen to BIB anymore, just burned out completely on it. Give me the Bon stuff anyday.

Mr Badguy
08-19-2006, 07:12 AM
"The Jack".

Shit, that songs sucks.

They play it at every concert and everyone heads to the bar.

If they want to slow it down "Ride on" would be a far better song although I don`t know how Brian would sing it.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Ah, Ride On...

Put that on after a few drinks...its LARVELLY.

Brett
08-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

If they want to slow it down "Ride on" would be a far better song although I don`t know how Brian would sing it.

Poorly.

Mr Badguy
08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Poorly.

There`s no doubt about that.

I meant would he scream over it (like "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap")or sound like an old bastard like he does on the lower parts of "Sin city"?

flappo
08-19-2006, 04:32 PM
you must be joking

powearge is arguably ac/dc's finest album

it's the ONLY album that i can listen to all the way through without skipping tracks

even let there be rock and black in black have filler

flappo
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
i think bib is vastly overrated

anything by bon kicks its ass

bon was ac/dc's dlr

that geordie tool is their hagar

nuff said

FORD
08-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Brian singing "Ride On" would be more blasphemous than Sammy singing "Unchained".

And that was fucking awful.

Brett
08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by flappo
you must be joking

powearge is arguably ac/dc's finest album

it's the ONLY album that i can listen to all the way through without skipping tracks

even let there be rock and black in black have filler

I'm agreeing with Flappo? WTF?

flappo
08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
sin city , down payment blues , riff raff , rock n' roll damnation

nuff said

Brett
08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Gimme A Bullet

FORD
08-19-2006, 05:08 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDjX45y1iF4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDjX45y1iF4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

flappo
08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Gimme A Bullet

exc choice

would've been a grate single

flappo
08-19-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm agreeing with Flappo? WTF?

i blame the booze

Mr. Vengeance
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
All the Bon-era albums are great, but Highway to Hell is the best. Title track, goes right into Girls Got Rhythm, keeps rocking through Shot Down in Flames, Bon's fantastic vocals on Love Hungry Man, and then the classic Night Prowler to end it off!!! Best album EVER! Not a bad second on it.

binnie
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Back in Black, although overplayed, is as good as the Bon era stuff - almost.

It is an absolute classic - end of.

Mr Badguy, I agree with you on "The Jack" - last time I saw them, that must have clocked in at about 8 minutes of "The Jack, jack, jack, jack, jack".

The only low point of an otherwise flawless set.

mako_kimura
08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I didn't like Ballbreaker that much. That and probably Blow Up Your Video

Shaun Ponsonby
08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by flappo
that geordie tool is their hagar

nuff said

I think thats a bit harsh. Brian Johnson is a jolly nice bloke! He didn't come along and start putting down Bon's material with an attitude that says that he thinks he can come along and make AC/DC better, but making them worse. He's always been cvery respectable towards Bon and the early AC/DC work, unlike that real tool, Sammy Hagar. Also, he didn't try and BE Bon, which would have just patronised fans. He did his own thing, and, although he doesn't compare to Bon...under the circumstances, he's done an OK job.

binnie
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
And he's a better singer than Hagar.....

Shaun Ponsonby
08-21-2006, 02:23 PM
My arse is a better singer than Hagar.

flappo
08-23-2006, 12:53 PM
you're quite right

nobody's as much of an asshole as hagar

not even cherone

Jérôme Frenchise
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
:D

An asshole sings better than Hagar for sure... But Hagar stinks more than an elephant's asshole.

By the way, do you know what the ultimate act of confidence is?

:D... Standing right behind an elephant that's got the runs!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for "Jonna", he sure is a pain to hear to me, but it's true as Shaun says that he's a real nice guy and he never "spat in the soup".
I'm very, very curious to know how the next album will sound, as it's announced to be a killer. Can't wait. :cool: