PDA

View Full Version : One Year Later - Bush Notices Katrina Victims

LoungeMachine
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Bush Reassures Katrina Victims
By Johanna Neuman, Times Staff Writer
9:45 AM PDT, August 23, 2006

President Bush reassured still struggling Katrina victims today that he has not forgotten them, but warned that recovery will take a long time.

"It's a time to remember that people suffered and it's a time to recommit ourselves to helping them," Bush said of the one-year anniversary of the devastating hurricane on Aug. 29. "But I also want people to remember that a one-year anniversary is just that, because it's going to require a long time to help these people rebuild."

The administration's Gulf Coast coordinator, Don Powell, said in a White House briefing today that nearly a year after Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast, only $44 billion of the $110 billion earmarked for rebuilding the region has been spent.

"I have a sense of frustration, I have a sense of urgency all the time," said Powell.

Federal funds have begun to reach Mississippi homeowners, he said, but Louisiana has delayed its plans for distribution. Bush addressed the delay today in his remarks.

"To the extent that there are still bureaucratic hurdles and the need for the federal government to help eradicate those hurdles, we want to do that," Bush said.

With a few months before the midterm elections, Democrats seized on the Katrina issue, hoping to remind voters of the devastating television shots of Americans clinging to their rooftops and squeezed into evacuation centers without food or water.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) issued a report called "Broken Promises," detailing what they called the Bush administration's failed response to Katrina.

"One year ago, Katrina and Rita taught the American people the terrible lesson that their government was not prepared to protect them," said Reid. "Unfortunately, one year after the hurricanes and five years after 9/11, Bush Republicans in Washington still have not taken that lesson to heart."

The Democratic report argues that thousands of families are still waiting for FEMA trailers, that an estimated 11% of the $19 billion spent by FEMA, or $2 billion, has been wasted by fraud and abuse, and that 80% of Gulf Coast businesses with approved Small Business Administration disaster loans are still waiting to receive their funds.

"In our Gulf Coast, the tens of thousands of Hurricane Katrina survivors are still engaged in an unparalleled struggle to rebuild their lives," said Pelosi. "Meanwhile, back in Washington, President Bush is holding a public relations blitz that the survivors of Katrina can ill afford."

Bush talked about Katrina on the South Lawn of the White House after meeting with Rockey Vaccarella, a 41-year-old resident of St. Bernard Parish, who has traveled the country making a documentary about his road to recovery.

"I was born as a fighter, my father named me after Rocky Marciano," said Vaccarella, who with his family is living in a FEMA trailer. "I love Sylvester Stallone and Rocky."

He urged those who are also recovering to see the glass as half full instead of half empty. "We get knocked down, we get back up, we're Americans," he said. "We got hit, we just need to get back on our feet and get rolling."

Vaccarella, who met Tuesday night with Powell, thanked Bush for the millions of FEMA trailers provided to Katrina victims, but urged him to keep the pressure on.

"I wanted to remind the president that the job's not done and he knows that," Vaccarella said. "I just don't want the government and President Bush to forget about us."

Noting that "the president's plate is full," Vaccarella said Bush assured him he would not forget. "You know it's really amazing when a small man like me from St. Bernard Parish can meet the president of the United States," said Vaccarella. "I just wish the president could have another term in Washington."

The president, whose latest approval rating in the USA Today-Gallup poll is 42%, clearly enjoyed the exchange.

"Rock is a plain-spoken guy. He's the kind of fellow I feel comfortable talking to," Bush said. "I told him that I understand that there's people down there that still need help. And I told him the federal government will work with the state and local authorities to get the help to them as quickly as possible."

The exchange ended as if the two were in a neighborhood bar instead of in front of the White House.

"You're a good man, Rockey," said Bush, slapping Vaccarella on the back.

"You are, too," said the man from Mereaux, La., slapping the president on the back in response. "Thanks a bunch."