PDA

View Full Version : Loudest Band You've Ever Seen?

binnie
08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Ok who is the loudest band you've ever seen?

Who made your ears hurt and ring for days after?

Ellyllions
08-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Crossfade.

They were honestly so loud that it made me sick at my stomach. It caused vertigo...and sounded like nothing but a barrage of sheer noise. You couldn't distinguish the instruments from the vocals.

Second....Molly Hatchet.

Panamark
08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Metallica, by far...

I was close to some pretty big fookin speakers
during the gig...

binnie
08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Metallica, by far...

I was close to some pretty big fookin speakers
during the gig...

The best place to be!!!

WACF
08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Metallica....stood right even with the stage on the lower level.

Loud and clear....fanfuckingtastic.

The_KiD
08-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Saw the Foo Fighters at a small show at the 930 club in DC which I go to all the time. My ears actually rang for a week.. The show was great but the ringing about drove me nuts..

Grohl was on fire and actually played the drums for a couple of numbers..

KiD

Matt White
08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
MOTORHEAD...HARPO's in DETROIT...a small but KICKASS club....

I had to fabricate my own earplugs....BRUTAL

Then..Chris Duarte...at the BLIND PIG in Ann Arbor....

I started to worry when my ears were ringing a week later...now I just live with it......

binnie
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

Then..Chris Duarte...at the BLIND PIG in Ann Arbor....

I started to worry when my ears were ringing a week later...now I just live with it......

Gonna have to plead ignorance, who is he?

diamondD
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
King's X at Juanita's in Little Rock. You could barely take it at the back of the club and we were up front for most of it.

binnie
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Realised that I didn't post my own loudest band moment.

Saw Metallica way back in '97 (only time I've seen em indoors) and they were unbeleivably loud, and yet clear!

Sad But True sounded like the apocalypse.

Much louder that any other band i've ever seen, but closest to them would be Motorhead, and Judas Priest on thier last tour.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
The most deafening gig I've ever been to was in Geneva 2 years ago, it was Morbid Angel.
Fucking ear grinding machine... :D
The drummer, before and after the concert, looked like an anaemic leek (on heroin according to my pals), but in between, damn! :eek:

Nitro Express
08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Dick Dale in a small club. Yeah the surf guitar guy. He was playing through Fender Dual Showmans with huge 15 inch speakers. It made you heart skip beats and armhairs move I'll tell you that.

Mr Badguy
08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Motorhead at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1991.

You could have made a candle out of my earwax after that gig.

binnie
08-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned ACDC yet, I reckon they would be really loud indoors (I've only ever seen them outdoors)

CROWBAR
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Nugent, back in '81. Loud as fuck!

jacksmar
08-31-2006, 03:57 PM
ACDC made my ears ring for 3 days BIB Tour MSA, Indy.

I’ve been at a really loud Molly Hatchet show too.

Loudest: .38 Special – All I can say is wrong seat, wrong angle. I’ve taken extra care and minded my hearing and one bad sound guy at Rockfest 1999 blew out my right ear. No tinnitus but I lost some mid frequencies. I have a tendency to sing above the note now and I have to watch my amp doesn’t get too thin. Fried ears might be good for karaoke but a guitar player can’t be without great ears.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar
ACDC made my ears ring for 3 days BIB Tour MSA, Indy.

I’ve been at a really loud Molly Hatchet show too.

Loudest: .38 Special – All I can say is wrong seat, wrong angle. I’ve taken extra care and minded my hearing and one bad sound guy at Rockfest 1999 blew out my right ear. No tinnitus but I lost some mid frequencies. I have a tendency to sing above the note now and I have to watch my amp doesn’t get too thin. Fried ears might be good for karaoke but a guitar player can’t be without great ears.

Too bad... There's no gig in the world that's worth ruining your ears IMO.
I've taken corks to supposedly loud concerts for a few years now. There's a drawback for me as low frequencies, bass and part of guitar, are filtered a little too much. At least it's what it does to me. :cool:

larry
08-31-2006, 05:03 PM
DLR 1988 WITH MR VAI ON GUITAR, I REALLY THOUGHT THE RINGING WAS NEVER GOING TO STOP.

mako_kimura
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
The most recent was Ted Nugent on July 31st. I lost my voice for two days and couldn't hear for four. Another was probably the recent Ozzfest. Some of those bands were loud as hell

fanofdave
08-31-2006, 05:25 PM
without a doubt, Metallica (saw them in Anaheim a couple of
years ago, along with Godsmack). awesome show.

Mr. Vengeance
08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Motorhead, Molson Ampitheatre, Toronto. LOUD AS FUCK!

blonddgirl777
08-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Metallica....stood right even with the stage on the lower level.

Loud and clear....fanfuckingtastic.

Last Metallica I saw was in 91...
The base pounded through my heart and ovaries!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-31-2006, 08:09 PM
I'd have to say the Scorpions a few years ago...

And that was only because the mixing was lousy....

Now that I'm no spring chicken anymore, combined with going to a lot of concerts over the years, my ears ring for a couple days after every show that I go to...

Yes, including Dave at the HOB Vegas in July... :D

rustoffa
08-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Probably Slayer or L7. Slayer had something to prove, as they followed Motorhead. L7 had nothing to prove...that was in a medium size club. People were writing their drink orders down on a legal pad like maybe a hundred feet back. I met Donita Sparks after that show, and commented about how loud it was. She was like, "yeah (yelling), I kept motioning for that dipshit to turn my mic up!!"
:confused: :rolleyes: :D

binnie
09-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Metal up yer ass!!

Some great stories here...

saint
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Motorhead in 84 I was only 14 at the time and the ringing actually haven’t stopped yet, but that’s not entirely motorheads fault, my group at the time used to rehears in a shelter room with concrete walls, and that’s no holiday for your ears.

In recent days I have to say a Danish group D.A.D,
They fooled me and started off rather mellow than a few songs in the show.. reconstructed blasts out, good tune not to good for my ears…

Susie Q
09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen. Made my ears almost bleed.

damianleeroth
09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Deep Purple, Brenden Byrne Arena, Perfect Strangers tour. Saved up all my money from mowing lawns for my ticket and was 8th row center. Went to class at my H.S. the next day and couldn't make sense out of anything anyone said. There were certain times that the bass notes at the show made me want to use the bathroom. Kind of a musical colonic.

Matt White
09-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Gonna have to plead ignorance, who is he?

TEXAS blues/rock dude...very much in the SRV style...but a little more ROCK...

He was using the multi-amp setup...I was right in front of him ina small club...and LOADED....

I kept thinking..."I need to PISS...but I'll wait for the intermission...."

1 1/2 hours later he quit...and my ears were SIZZLING:mad:

He is an excellent musician...check him out...

http://www.jillwatkins.com/Chris%20Duarte/Chris%20wailingsm.jpg

VAN HLN CA
09-02-2006, 05:24 AM
82' Dio Sabbath @ Long Beach Arena

Loud isnt the word.

Eyes of the Night
09-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Ministry 93' ...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Ministry 93' ...

I've heard over the years that Ministry has been among the loudest bands.....

Tiki-Tom
09-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Saw Kiss in or around '82 (83?) at the Norfolk Scope on the Creatures of the Night tour. Not sure they were the loudest band I ever saw, but they did manage to crack the dome. It was probably a structural problem, but it made for great publicity.

ALMOSTsaved
09-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Metallica, "And Justice For All" tour...Biloxi, MS

ALMOSTsaved
09-04-2006, 08:41 AM
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned ACDC yet, I reckon they would be really loud indoors (I've only ever seen them outdoors)

Seen 'em twice indoors but still not the loudest.

Jimmy Jingles
09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Black Label Society at the Tabernacle in Atlanta.

Insane.

DrMaddVibe
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
The Who

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, in August of 1978, I saw Ted Nugent at the Seattle Center Coliseum. He had the reputation of being extremely loud, and he was loud, but not to the point it was too much.

Nov. 1980...Black Sabbath in Wichita, KS at Henry Levitt Arena...Tony Iommi had 4 Marshall stacks, and in addition to a really loud PA, he musta had his amps turned up to 12.

Christ they were fucking loud.

Then in 1986 I saw Maiden on the Somewhere In Time tour.

A friend of mine was one of the top monitor guys on Earth at the time (in demand by people like AC/DC and other bands at that level) and he told me later that Maiden had the loudest PS ever setup for indoor shows...185,000 watts.

It was so loud that I went out into the concourse to get a coke from the concession stand, andI was sccreaming at the top of my lungs at the poor lady that I wanted a large coke, and she still could not understand me, so I had to grab a napkin and a pen and write out my order.

THAT was THE loudest show I ever saw.

Though Motorhead is ALWAYS louder than fuck.

I saw them on Operation Rock 'n' Roll in 1991, where they played after Metal Church & Dangerous Toys, but before Alice Cooper & Judas Priest.....Motorhead was WAY louder than any of the bands on that bill that day. But nowhere near as loud as Maiden in 1986.

binnie
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
TEXAS blues/rock dude...very much in the SRV style...but a little more ROCK...

He was using the multi-amp setup...I was right in front of him ina small club...and LOADED....

I kept thinking..."I need to PISS...but I'll wait for the intermission...."

1 1/2 hours later he quit...and my ears were SIZZLING:mad:

He is an excellent musician...check him out...

http://www.jillwatkins.com/Chris%20Duarte/Chris%20wailingsm.jpg

Cheers Matt, I will!!!

I am a huge SRV fan, so it sounds great to me.

binnie
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Hardrock as always, you have some killer fuckin' gig stories...

m_dixon1984
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Saw them indoors at the old Montreal Forum (18 to 21 thousand seat hockey arena) for the Thunderstruck tour (90-91). Me and 3 buddies had 10th row floor seats and to this day we all agree it's the loudest show any of us have ever seen. Myself and one other swear that some permanent hearing loss was a result. My ears were ringin' for the better part of a week. I swear that AC/DC should have reconsidered the use or the size of the cannons used for "For Those About To Rock" (maybe not used them inside at all). It was already a freakin' loud show but when those cannons started goin' off near the end of the show it was damn near painful. AC/DC Live CD and AC/DC Live at Donnington DVD just don't give justice to how loud those cannon's were.

M

Eyes of the Night
09-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I've heard over the years that Ministry has been among the loudest bands.....

Yeah bro, and this was outside!:D

Dave84
09-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Skyscraper at Madison Square Garden!!! couldn't hear for days
the ringing was bad, I took the subway home and when the train pulled in(usually very loud) I could bareley hear it!!! Going to Roger Waters at the Garden tonight.

binnie
09-12-2006, 02:42 AM
Hey dude enjoy Roger Waters!