PDA

View Full Version : Slayer "Christ Illusion", what do people think.

binnie
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I like this record a lot, like always it's heavy and aggressive like no other.

Lombardo doesn't overplay like Bostpaph and sounds like thunder on this record.

Also, it sounds fuckin fantastic, raw and loud (for me Slayer did get a studio sound that captured their might until "God Hates us All")

It's had mixed reviews in the press: no-one is under the illusion that it matches up to Slayer of old, but how could it??

With Lombardo I would say that they sound dark again, rather than just aggressive like the last record.

But that being said, I don't think it is as good as God Hates Us All. Don't get me wrong, there are some standout tracks here - Jihad, Skeleton Christ (awesome riff and time signature) and the first single Crucible - but overall I think it is a weaker record than the last one. Most of it was written by King, and there are the odd moments of Slayer by numbers.

It's a good record, but there aren't more than a handful of Slayer classics here - and nothing to match the pure fury of "Disciple" or "New Faith".

I still dig the record a lot, but I was hoping for a little more from the return to the original line-up.

What do the rest of you guys think?

Mr. Vengeance
08-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I bought it last week at the same time I bought the new Voivod and Tom Petty disks. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Once I do, I'll add my thoughts.

binnie
09-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Cool, I'll think you'll dig it!

binnie
09-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Mr V let me know what you think about Voivod too, I haven't picked it up yet.....

Jesus Christ
09-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Sorry.... this album isn't really My cup of water turned into tea.

sadaist
09-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I bought it last week at the same time I bought the new Voivod and Tom Petty disks. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Once I do, I'll add my thoughts.

Voivod, Slayer & Tom Petty...which one of these things is not like the other....

I think the cover art for Christ Illusion is horrible. But I haven't heard the songs yet. I really haven't liked Slayer all that much since Seasons in the Abyss.

Mr. Vengeance
09-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Mr V let me know what you think about Voivod too, I haven't picked it up yet.....

Voivod album is solid. Good pace. A lot of their usual, trippy proto-metal. They really have come a long way from those early albums in the mid 80's, which were just crazed, speed metal.

Kind of hard to judge what the album would have been like if Denis D'Amour hadn't died. He had tons of demos on his computer, and they took them and wrote the songs around the demo tracks.

I still haven't had the chance to listen to Slayer yet. Busy as hell.

binnie
09-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Voivod album is solid. Good pace. A lot of their usual, trippy proto-metal. They really have come a long way from those early albums in the mid 80's, which were just crazed, speed metal.

Kind of hard to judge what the album would have been like if Denis D'Amour hadn't died. He had tons of demos on his computer, and they took them and wrote the songs around the demo tracks.

I still haven't had the chance to listen to Slayer yet. Busy as hell.

Cheers for that, I'm gonna have to pick that Voivod record up....

Tiki-Tom
09-12-2006, 05:14 AM
Not into them that much. My other half loves their older stuff and I dig a few of the tunes that she listens to but a lot of it starts sounding the same after a while. From the clips that I have heard it's just that, more of the same. If your a big fan of this then you should like the new one.

binnie
09-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Not into them that much. My other half loves their older stuff and I dig a few of the tunes that she listens to but a lot of it starts sounding the same after a while. From the clips that I have heard it's just that, more of the same. If your a big fan of this then you should like the new one.

absolutely, Slayer is a band that has never really gone outside its mould.....

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I am listening to Christ Illusion as I write, and this is really fairly typical Slayer so far. Not that I was expecting any drastic change in sound. Some pretty smoking solos! I like "Skeleton Christ" and "Eyes of the Insane" a lot. Those have some fucking nice work on 'em, including some great drumming. To me it sounds a bit thin on the production end, but that may be because I don't have it up very loud. But, if you're into Slayer, I'd say you won't be let down by this one either.

binnie
09-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Mr V, the production isn't as great as God Hates Us All, but it is better sounding than most Slayer record.

My favorites are: Skeleton Christ, Jihad and Crucible.

It's astrong record, but I still prefer God Hates Us All.

Slayer don't make bad records, and thus we always have high standards - it's a good record, most bands would sell a kidney to make it. But just not the spectacular record I was hoping for with Lombardo's return.