X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halen High
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

The Crocodile Hunter dead!

Famous Aussie Steve Irwin, known as the 'Crocodile Hunter' died today while filming a documentary off Port Douglas North Queensland. He was killed by a stingray barb through the chest.

Our Stevo was always taking risks. I don't know all the details but I guess he took one too many. A real cool guy. Went to his zoo a few years back. Can't believe he's dead. Just 44.
  • Ally_Kat
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

With The Courier Mail and AAP

Roth Army Militia

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Eventual.... what a shame though. I never was a fan, but it actually saddens me to hear it. My Aussie friends are so upset right now.

Oi oi oi.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Think about his baby.... damn that angers me.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Now I'll never get to meet him.... one of my dreams was to meet him when I retire/visit to Australia.

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Stevo's death will be all over the evening news here in about three hours. He was very popular, despite being criticized recently for taking his child too close to a croc at his zoo. This guy just loved life. Can't think of a more enthusiastic, energetic person. I still have one of his African docos on tape. All about dangerous snakes. It was so fucking funny as well a informative.

Comment

• Dan
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

R.I.P Steve.
              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
                Stevo's death will be all over the evening news here in about three hours. He was very popular, despite being criticized recently for taking his child too close to a croc at his zoo. This guy just loved life. Can't think of a more enthusiastic, energetic person. I still have one of his African docos on tape. All about dangerous snakes. It was so fucking funny as well a informative.
                People I know were always saying "One of these days....."

Well, they were right. I love Australian people a lot and this hurts me to hear this. You're right, he was very outgoing and loved life. I for sure thought that his demise would have been caused by a snake.

Comment

• RuzDNailz
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Nov 2004

Sad thing is, I wondered what happened to Steve after that negative publicity thing over that picture a few years ago. But now that kid and his older sister have to grow up without a father. It's horrible way to go
                  but, please remember this. Steve went out doing what he did best and had a passion for. There will never be another quite like him.

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2006

Crikey!
                    That's a fuckin shame. I guess it was gonna happen sooner or later. I feel real bad for his kids. And death by a ray, not a croc? didn't see that one coming.
                    Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 09-04-2006, 02:02 AM.
                    [

Comment

• flappo
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's too bad. I always liked Steve, despite the baby-bate scandal and all that.

RIP man.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

my daughter and me loved to watch his show...she always made impersonations of his "oh, look at this lovely little viper...she could kill a thousand men after one bite...hello darling"-style after it...

R.I.P. steve
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

This sucks.

Im actually feeling like somebody from my own family
                            died.

He was a tireless animal conservationist.
                            Im not sure how much the rest of the world
                            knows beyond the "Croc Hunter" they see on TV.

The dude was real. His life was saving and protecting
                            animals. He owns(ed) a huge Zoo/Refuge in Australia
                            and would think nothing of travelling to any country
                            that requested his help.

My heart goes out to Terrie, Bindy and Bob..

*AND* his old father (pushing 90) who inspired
                            him. Imagine outliving your son like that.

Steve played with fire, but the fire didnt kill him.
                            This was a freakish accident.

Im sure we will hear more about it..

Thanks for the happy memories Stevo !!!

Crikies, you gave us many..
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

I'm with Panamark here. My heart especially goes out to the fatherless children.

Comment

Working...