• Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Anti-incumbent Fervor Growing in America

Poll foreshadows a midterm of discontent
    POSTED: 11:55 a.m. EDT, September 5, 2006

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- With midterm elections little more than two months away, Americans are expressing overwhelming disapproval with Congress, incumbents and the way the country is being run, a CNN poll suggests.

Only 12 percent of those questioned said they are satisfied with what Congress has done so far this year, according to poll results released Tuesday.

Eighty-four percent said they wished Congress had done more.

Sixty-four percent of those questioned disapprove of the way congressional Republicans are handling their jobs, while 31 percent approve.

Democrats fared little better. Fifty-seven percent said they disapprove of how Democrats in Congress are doing, as opposed to 35 percent who approve of how Democrats are doing their jobs.

President Bush saw his approval rating hold steady. Forty-one percent approve of how he is running the country, while 55 percent disapproved. The president's approval rating in an August 21 CNN poll was 42 percent with a plus or minus 3 percentage-point margin of error

Tuesday's poll, based on 1,004 adult Americans polled by Opinion Research Corporation for CNN on Wednesday through Saturday has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

The poll results mirror a general discontent among voters about the way the country is being run and a willingness to do something about it in the voting booth in November, trends also revealed in a portion of the poll released Monday.

A majority of Americans in the poll -- and a higher percentage than recorded during the same time last year -- said things in the United States are going "badly."

Among this year's respondents, 29 percent said "pretty badly" and 25 percent -- up from 15 percent a month ago -- answered "very badly." By comparison, 37 percent described the way things are going as "fairly well," and 9 percent answered "very well."

Of these people, 76 percent said there was "something" to be angry about in the country today. By comparison, 59 percent felt that way when polled in February. (Watch Bill Schneider's take on angry voters -- 1:40)

Only 21 percent said they were "generally content" in the latest poll.

Nine percent said they considered the economy to be "very good," a number unchanged from a June CNN poll. But the number who considered conditions "somewhat good" dropped from 42 percent to 35 percent over the same period.

The number of respondents who consider the economy "somewhat poor" rose from 31 percent to 34 percent, and the number who called the economy "very poor" jumped from 16 percent to 22 percent.

A majority -- 55 percent -- said they are more likely to back a challenger in races on this year's ballot. Such anti-incumbent sentiment is higher than the 48 percent recorded as "pro-challenger" in a similar survey in 1994, when the GOP took control of both houses of Congress.

Nonetheless, 48 percent said that, if most of the present members of Congress were replaced with new members, there would be no difference. By contrast, 42 percent said such a scenario would change Congress for the better, and 7 percent said it would change Congress for the worse.

The results, based on a half-sample of 1,004 adult Americans polled by Opinion Research Corporation for CNN Wednesday through Saturday have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

More than 60 percent of those surveyed said government policies need either major changes or a complete overhaul, while 30 percent said minor changes were needed. Only 7 percent said no change is necessary.

The economy topped the list of respondents' concerns, with 28 percent calling it the most important issue when deciding how to cast their ballots. Coming second was Iraq at 25 percent, followed by terrorism (18 percent), moral issues (15 percent) and immigration (14 percent). (Watch Bush dispute idea that Iraq is in civil war - 4:09)

Democrats lead Republicans by a 10-point margin, 53 to 43 percent, among likely voters asked which party's congressional candidate they would support in November, and Democrats held a 56-40 lead on the same question among registered voters.

The survey has a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points among the full group and 4 percentage points among likely voters.

Nearly half of the respondents -- 49 percent -- said they considered the GOP the party of strong leadership. But 56 percent said they considered the Democrats the party of change, with 49 percent considering them the more forward-looking party.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM.
  • NightProwler
    Sniper
    • Jul 2004

When in doubt, vote them out!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by NightProwler
      When in doubt, vote them out!
      yep, and don't forget to vote that dumbfuck John Kyl out of office! How are things in Yuma anyway? Hope they got rid of those damn crystal meth addicts.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

I think there should be term limits for some of these fat cat politicians. Kennedy for example. How does he stay in office?
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Democrats the party of change? LMAO!

What's their solution on these issues other than to slam the Republicans?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham

They're going to start a thread in FEEDBACK last I heard......
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah, maybe they should march into Washington, D.C. with a "Cuntract with America" in hand, and a whole lotta condescending arrogance.

Who has the solution Warham? the regime that controls most of the gov't?

Yeah, LMAO alright. They cun't do any worse at this point.
              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-05-2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                I think there should be term limits for some of these fat cat politicians. Kennedy for example. How does he stay in office?
                Two words: BIG DIG.

John Kerry has been riding that for 20 years too. Biggest union land grab EVER.

As a native Bostonian in exile, I have many friends who worked on the project who says some teams intentionally did shit work, which is why the tunnels are leaking.

When I asked him why, he gave me this gem "There is no money in FINISHED construction"....

Comment

• blueturk
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2004

They don't even need a solution if Dubya and pals keep up their desperate attempts to validate their foiled oil run in Iraq by making ridiculous historical comparisons. Bush is dragging his party down. But the worst part is that the next presdent (Republican or Democrat) will inherit one of the worst fucking messes in American history, and "solutions" will be hard to find. Not that Bush cares.

"That, of course, is an objective, and that will be decided by future Presidents and future governments of Iraq." - George W. Bush at the White House on March 21 2006, when asked if there would come a time when no more American troops would be in Iraq
                  Last edited by blueturk; 09-06-2006, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train

As a native Bostonian in exile, I have many friends who worked on the project who says some teams intentionally did shit work, which is why the tunnels are leaking.

When I asked him why, he gave me this gem "There is no money in FINISHED construction"....

Exactly. In San Diego in the 80's, a major construction co was Daley Corp. My Dad was friends with Mr. Daley and his kid is the same age as me and went to the same high school. They would take jobs where they would lose money because they would lose more money if they weren't working. Weird to take a job and underbid it just to keep the wheel in motion and you know you will lose money. But it's better to lose a little than a lot.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train

That's not true. The walls are leaking because some genius thought that a "slit-wall" (shit concrete used as fill and a TEMPORARY barrier or excavation pit-lining) was good enough to be the main wall.

That's why it's leaking, because they actually tired to SAVE money instead of doin it right!

BTW, how is it a city project a "union land grab?" The union works where it's told.

Well, there's some truth to that. But it was also one of the largest, most complex construction projects ever carried out. Not to mention the areas in Boston they went through were polluted from years of industrial waste, going back to the 1600s, and had to be cleaned up before they could proceed in many cases. They found all sorts of shit in that ground.

Some lucky bastards also found some cool valuables, like 18th cent. china, while working.
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Fine, but the Republicans strolled into town 12-years ago and claimed they were going to impose term limits on themselves. Funny, but everyone that said they would quit after four terms or so is still here --with that campaign promise conveniently removed from their websites.

BTW, unlike those with ties to Halliburton, and this Administration that is in bed with the oil industry, no one can say any country was invaded or thousands killed digging a tunnel under Boston.
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-06-2006, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Boston had WMD?
                          Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I think there should be term limits for some of these fat cat politicians.
                            So do I. Especially all the neocon congressman who were elected in 1994 who signed the Contract ON America which promised exactly those term limits.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              That's not true. The walls are leaking because some genius thought that a "slit-wall" (shit concrete used as fill and a TEMPORARY barrier or excavation pit-lining) was good enough to be the main wall.

That's why it's leaking, because they actually tired to SAVE money instead of doin it right!

BTW, how is it a city project a "union land grab?" The union works where it's told.

Uh yes, it is true. The slit wall in many cases did not have the required steel rebar in place and the final concrete was rejected in many instances (it's got to be very fresh in order to set properly). That's just one small example of the waste and fraud. I watched it go up for most of my life, I'm very familiar with the people who worked on it and what actually happened.

It's a union land grab because who do you think got most of those contracts? Union workers. Because of the way the rules of work were structured (ex. noise police), and how much work was to be done, average construction workers were all making, if not making, 6 figures. Hell, traffic cops caught SLEEPING On the job were making that much. Boston Herald did numerous pieces on it.

And it made those unions extremely powerful, as their union members were making a ton of money and they had plenty of work to do.

Comment

Working...