Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

The media keeps missing the boat on Iraq

The media keeps missing the boat on Iraq
    By Mike Gallagher
    Thursday, September 7, 2006

Liberals like to pretend that there isn’t a media bias when it comes to the coverage of the Bush Administration or the war. Despite the fact that newsrooms are filled with dyed-in-the-wool liberals, there’s a preposterous attempt to portray the mainstream press as fair and objective.

Well, this week’s news cycle has delivered proof that the liberal media bias is not only present, it’s overwhelming.

Most Americans probably believe that Iraq taking control of its military command is a big deal. Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a U.S. military spokesman, called the takeover “gigantic.” In fact, it could be argued that the news about Iraq finally taking control of its armed forces command is one of the biggest and most successful examples of the progress that is being made in Iraq since the war began.

So what was the big story during this particular news cycle? It wasn’t the Iraq one. Evidently, the arrest of Paris Hilton for allegedly driving drunk is the gigantic story that America needs to hear.

In the all-time list of irrelevant stories, I’ve got to believe that the drunk driving arrest of some publicity-craving hotel heiress in Hollywood has to make the top ten. I can’t be the only person who couldn’t care less about the exploits of Paris Hilton.

But Iraq taking control of its military command? That’s about as big as it gets. Democrats keep harping about a timeline for our troops and many war critics want us to pull out immediately. If Iraq is now taking over its own military command, that is one giant step towards the day when we can finally leave that country altogether, right?

So go ahead and try to find the news media coverage of this historic event. Most newspapers buried it between the obituaries and the classified ads. USA Today saw fit to put the story on page 11A. The broadcast news media thought the Miami investigative reporter getting punched out and the stupid Paris Hilton story deserved much greater coverage.

And when the media did report on the military command takeover, the story was framed, as always, by reports of car bombings and mortar attacks. It’s as if the writers and reporters were saying, in hushed tones, “Well, Iraq took control of its armed forces command today BUT (changing over to a bellowing yell) MORE BLOODSHED TOOK PLACE WITH DRIVE-BY SHOOTINGS AND A CAR BOMBING!!!”

It’s really disgusting to witness this distortion of the truth in Iraq. Talk to just about any returning soldier, or one home on leave, and you’ll hear tale after tale of amazing progress being made in Iraq. Often, that same soldier will express complete amazement at the way the media has twisted and manipulated the facts to suit their agenda.

And the agenda is simply astonishing. The mainstream press hates President Bush so much that it’s actually hoping we’ll fail in Iraq. After all, there’s an election a few weeks away, right? There are Democrats that need to be elected, a House and Senate that is within reach for the Dems. Why worry about national security when the political stakes are so high?

It’s amusing to watch Bush critics struggle with the reason why there have been no terror attacks on American soil since September 11, 2001. I posed that question to the liberal radio listeners in my audience the other day and their answers were downright hysterical. “We’ve just been lucky”, said one caller. “You’re a liar, Gallagher, what about the anthrax scare?” asked another. And perhaps the best one of all: “George Bush has a secret deal with the terrorists to wait until after he leaves office until they hit us again.”

With that kind of blind ignorance, it’s no wonder the news media keeps trying to fool the American people into believing that the war is a total failure.

This week, history was made in Iraq. You can look it up. You’ll just have to look real hard.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Can anyone here in their right mind doubt the facts of this article.

I think not.

Mainstream Media (MSM) = LIBERAL

PS - except FoxNews, which is fair and balanced.

Comment

• Ellyllions
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

I heard an interview with a retired Navy SEAL yesterday while I was driving. Interesting stuff...

He was talking about how torture didn't work with this enemy when trying to get information. He said that he had one prisoner actually take his shirt off to show them the scars from being captured by the Iranians during the Iraq/Iran war. He said that the man was riddled with deep scars and that the guy kept saying, "What can you do to me that is worse than this? Worse than what I've already endured? I'm not talking."

He went on to explain that because most of them had already been tortured repeatedly whether by an enemy or their own superior officers, actual physical torture wouldn't work. He said that what they have to do is psychologically outsmart them. Make them uncomfortable and then pit them against each other...and obviously, that takes a lot of time. More time than torture would, but it's the only thing that works.

He said that the media used the word torture because it conjures up bloody brutal images that incites emotions and keep their ratings high. He said that it was totally unfair because when that image trickled down to other countries and opinions... the image rests on the American Soldiers currently posted in those countries. So all of a sudden the American Soldier who might not even be privvy to the news reports becomes a brutal irresponsible torturer making them a larger target.

We have become so desensitized to brutality that when we're channel surfing we only stop if we see/hear something violent. But even though we're drawn to it like flies we want to bitch about what someone else might be doing in the name of brutality even to the point of sensationalizing our own just to have a voice.

Mark my words, in 10 years we'll be looking to the National Enquirer or the Weekly World News in grocery stores for valuable trustworthy news.
      "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
        Can anyone here in their right mind doubt the facts of this article.

I think not.

Mainstream Media (MSM) = LIBERAL

PS - except FoxNews, which is fair and balanced.
        The facts of the article? Which were?

Um idiot, the mainstream media DID carry a story about this, in which they presented the fact that the Iraqi Army is unable to provide for they're own logistics, so they're essentially still clinging on to our forces and are under American command.

Sorry Brie, there are far more reasons to be dubious of the Iraqi Army/Police than there are reasons to be optimistic about them.
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Nov 2004

THE SPAM MASTER STRIKES AGAIN!

You all will notice BigBland's use of the "liberal media" myth. Here the liberal tag is given to anyone who chooses to report on anything that does not go along with the "offical story" as designated by the administration.

BigBland reminds again us that he is an empty headed partisan wackoff who often confuses opinion for fact.
          Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

This is not spam. He put up the article, then had his own comment afterwards.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              This is not spam. He put up the article, then had his own comment afterwards.
              Right, and those weapons of mass destruction are still hidden away somewehre.
              Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Actually, it is Spam, because it's premise is full of shit and it is devoid of actual facts and examples.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Iraq, Al Quaida, Hezbolla, Iran or whoever will never destroy the United States. We will destroy ourselves. What I find alarming is the divide in this country and the lack of trust. Here we were attacked but the lack of trust does not pull us together. The United States is more divided than ever and divided we fall. We probably will split up the country along partison lines because we sure as hell aren't getting along or trusting as citizens.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

It's an article by Mike Gallagher, who's as big a name on radio as any of AA's 'hosts', yet their crap is flug all over this forum like a monkey throwing poop across a cage.

I have no problem with it.

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                      Right, and those weapons of mass destruction are still hidden away somewehre.
                      Probably in Syria somewhere. What's your point?

Comment

• Ellyllions
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Iraq, Al Quaida, Hezbolla, Iran or whoever will never destroy the United States. We will destroy ourselves. What I find alarming is the divide in this country and the lack of trust. Here we were attacked but the lack of trust does not pull us together. The United States is more divided than ever and divided we fall. We probably will split up the country along partison lines because we sure as hell aren't getting along or trusting as citizens.
                        THIS, I agree with.
                        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                          Probably in Syria somewhere. What's your point?
                          That you will believe whatever Sean Hannity, etc. tells you.

This is probably due to a lack of a positive male role model during the crucial years of your early emotional development. You seek a daddy to protect you and explain everything to you.

This would also explain your bizzare devotion to the Bush/Cheney regime.

Tell me about your father.

Comment

• Ellyllions
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

Ah-HAH!

Dr. Phil! Cautcha!

How long did you think you could hide? But the user name? Does that express some deep-seated resentment against women? I'm sure your wife won't mind if you wear her panties once in a while. It's ok, you have to trust sometime babe.....

: )

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                              THIS, I agree with.
                              I don't....not in a million years.

This country has more moral fiber and courage than you give it credit for.

Comment

Working...