• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Are Neocons literally MENTAL??

Researchers help define what makes a political conservative

By Kathleen Maclay, Media Relations | 22 July 2003 (revised 7/25/03)

BERKELEY – Politically conservative agendas may range from supporting the Vietnam War to upholding traditional moral and religious values to opposing welfare. But are there consistent underlying motivations?

Four researchers who culled through 50 years of research literature about the psychology of conservatism report that at the core of political conservatism is the resistance to change and a tolerance for inequality, and that some of the common psychological factors linked to political conservatism include:

* Fear and aggression
    * Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
    * Uncertainty avoidance
    * Need for cognitive closure
    * Terror management

"From our perspective, these psychological factors are capable of contributing to the adoption of conservative ideological contents, either independently or in combination," the researchers wrote in an article, "Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition," recently published in the American Psychological Association's Psychological Bulletin.

Assistant Professor Jack Glaser of the University of California, Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy and Visiting Professor Frank Sulloway of UC Berkeley joined lead author, Associate Professor John Jost of Stanford University's Graduate School of Business, and Professor Arie Kruglanski of the University of Maryland at College Park, to analyze the literature on conservatism.

The psychologists sought patterns among 88 samples, involving 22,818 participants, taken from journal articles, books and conference papers. The material originating from 12 countries included speeches and interviews given by politicians, opinions and verdicts rendered by judges, as well as experimental, field and survey studies.

Ten meta-analytic calculations performed on the material - which included various types of literature and approaches from different countries and groups - yielded consistent, common threads, Glaser said.

The avoidance of uncertainty, for example, as well as the striving for certainty, are particularly tied to one key dimension of conservative thought - the resistance to change or hanging onto the status quo, they said.

The terror management feature of conservatism can be seen in post-Sept. 11 America, where many people appear to shun and even punish outsiders and those who threaten the status of cherished world views, they wrote.

Concerns with fear and threat, likewise, can be linked to a second key dimension of conservatism - an endorsement of inequality, a view reflected in the Indian caste system, South African apartheid and the conservative, segregationist politics of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-South S.C.).

Disparate conservatives share a resistance to change and acceptance of inequality, the authors said. Hitler, Mussolini, and former President Ronald Reagan were individuals, but all were right-wing conservatives because they preached a return to an idealized past and condoned inequality in some form. Talk host Rush Limbaugh can be described the same way, the authors commented in a published reply to the article.

This research marks the first synthesis of a vast amount of information about conservatism, and the result is an "elegant and unifying explanation" for political conservatism under the rubric of motivated social cognition, said Sulloway. That entails the tendency of people's attitudinal preferences on policy matters to be explained by individual needs based on personality, social interests or existential needs.

The researchers' analytical methods allowed them to determine the effects for each class of factors and revealed "more pluralistic and nuanced understanding of the source of conservatism," Sulloway said.

While most people resist change, Glaser said, liberals appear to have a higher tolerance for change than conservatives do.

As for conservatives' penchant for accepting inequality, he said, one contemporary example is liberals' general endorsement of extending rights and liberties to disadvantaged minorities such as gays and lesbians, compared to conservatives' opposing position.

The researchers said that conservative ideologies, like virtually all belief systems, develop in part because they satisfy some psychological needs, but that "does not mean that conservatism is pathological or that conservative beliefs are necessarily false, irrational, or unprincipled."

They also stressed that their findings are not judgmental.

"In many cases, including mass politics, 'liberal' traits may be liabilities, and being intolerant of ambiguity, high on the need for closure, or low in cognitive complexity might be associated with such generally valued characteristics as personal commitment and unwavering loyalty," the researchers wrote.

This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes, the researchers advised.

The latest debate about the possibility that the Bush administration ignored intelligence information that discounted reports of Iraq buying nuclear material from Africa may be linked to the conservative intolerance for ambiguity and or need for closure, said Glaser.

"For a variety of psychological reasons, then, right-wing populism may have more consistent appeal than left-wing populism, especially in times of potential crisis and instability," he said.

Glaser acknowledged that the team's exclusive assessment of the psychological motivations of political conservatism might be viewed as a partisan exercise. However, he said, there is a host of information available about conservatism, but not about liberalism.

The researchers conceded cases of left-wing ideologues, such as Stalin, Khrushchev or Castro, who, once in power, steadfastly resisted change, allegedly in the name of egalitarianism.

Yet, they noted that some of these figures might be considered politically conservative in the context of the systems that they defended. The researchers noted that Stalin, for example, was concerned about defending and preserving the existing Soviet system.

Although they concluded that conservatives are less "integratively complex" than others are, Glaser said, "it doesn't mean that they're simple-minded."

Conservatives don't feel the need to jump through complex, intellectual hoops in order to understand or justify some of their positions, he said. "They are more comfortable seeing and stating things in black and white in ways that would make liberals squirm," Glaser said.

He pointed as an example to a 2001 trip to Italy, where President George W. Bush was asked to explain himself. The Republican president told assembled world leaders, "I know what I believe and I believe what I believe is right." And in 2002, Bush told a British reporter, "Look, my job isn't to nuance."

Link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Are Neo Cons literally Mental?

Pretty broad question.

However if the ones who post here are any indication....

a simple yes is called for.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• BenJammin
      Foot Soldier
      • Feb 2004

Those researchers should be careful, they might end up in Guantanamo with bamboo shoots under their fingernails for their 'blasphemy' towards America (neo-cons ARE America, if you haven't heard... libs are one step above terrorists, at best).

In case any of those 'true Americans' are confused... that's sarcasm in the first paragraph.

One point I'd like to add is when I talk to cons, I invariably hear the phrase "Well, I love America" as a damning response to my overwhelming disapproval of Bush, this war, current policies, and the gloomy direction of this country (as to imply I must hate America for having a dissenting opinion about world affairs... uh, was that right taken away by the Patriot Act also ?!).

And I am sure I will NEVER get an honest response to my follow-on question of "Well, if Clinton had started this war, would you have supported it then?". They know in their hearts they would have crucified him, but usually I get a half-assed 'yes'.

Uh-huh... right.
      "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

We have a divide in our country and it's who is for gay rights and who is not. As the Democratic Party embraces behavior that many view as sinful and against the values of the bible it will allienate itself from potential voters who consider themselves good followers of God but lean more Democratic on other issues.

Sure some Republicans feel George W. Bush screwed them but no way in hell are they going to vote Democratic because they feel their position in the afterlife is compromised by siding with the Democrates on certain issues like abortion and gay rights.

People are getting tired of having the gay agenda forced on them at work and having religiouse monuments torn down because they now are not politically correct.

The United States is one of the last bastions of Christianity in the world. In Europe hardly anyone goes to church anymore but in the US they still do. Abortion has been a huge battleground for decades but gay marriage has intensified the fight.

The religiouse right now hate liberals more than ever. They might not like George W. Bush but they hate immoral and Soddom and Gamorra liberals more.

Don't you get it. In the eyes of the religiouse right, the Democratic party is the party of Satan and they never will side with you as long as you push the gay and abortion agenda. No way in hell are you going to get those votes.

Calling Republicans dumb or insane will only fan the flames higher. The Democratic Pary has embraced very controversial issues that is costing it dearly in votes and driving people away. Want the hispanic vote? Mexicans are even more conservative than the average person in the US. As long as the Democrats shove gayness on the rest of the country, it's going to be a hard sell to the more conservative population.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

As the United States is the great Satan to a radicle Muslim so is the Democratic Party to a conservative Christian. It's really simple as that.

You aren't going to change their minds either. It's a lost cause. The country will continue to be split until is destroys itself.

Comment

• scamper
            Commando
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            As the United States is the great Satan to a radicle Muslim so is the Democratic Party to a conservative Christian. It's really simple as that.

You aren't going to change their minds either. It's a lost cause. The country will continue to be split until is destroys itself.

You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Didn't the democrats start this whole us against them in the 90s with class warfare.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

We have a divide in our country and it's who is for gay rights and who is not. As the Democratic Party embraces behavior that many view as sinful and against the values of the bible it will allienate itself from potential voters who consider themselves good followers of God but lean more Democratic on other issues.

Sure some Republicans feel George W. Bush screwed them but no way in hell are they going to vote Democratic because they feel their position in the afterlife is compromised by siding with the Democrates on certain issues like abortion and gay rights.

People are getting tired of having the gay agenda forced on them at work and having religiouse monuments torn down because they now are not politically correct.

The United States is one of the last bastions of Christianity in the world. In Europe hardly anyone goes to church anymore but in the US they still do. Abortion has been a huge battleground for decades but gay marriage has intensified the fight.

The religiouse right now hate liberals more than ever. They might not like George W. Bush but they hate immoral and Soddom and Gamorra liberals more.

Don't you get it. In the eyes of the religiouse right, the Democratic party is the party of Satan and they never will side with you as long as you push the gay and abortion agenda. No way in hell are you going to get those votes.

Calling Republicans dumb or insane will only fan the flames higher. The Democratic Pary has embraced very controversial issues that is costing it dearly in votes and driving people away. Want the hispanic vote? Mexicans are even more conservative than the average person in the US. As long as the Democrats shove gayness on the rest of the country, it's going to be a hard sell to the more conservative population.
              People who believe that someone's rights should be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation (or color, gender, age, or whatever) are by very definition, insane.

Right wingers can hold what ever spiritually inaccurate beliefs they choose to. What they should NOT be allowed to do is to write those beliefs into law.

They use gay marriage as a wedge issue to stir up the trailer park neanderthals. Because there's no way that the party of Ken Mehlman, Karl Rove, Mary Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, David Drier, Matt Drudge, Lindsey Graham, and Anndrew Coulter is actually opposed to gay rights.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                People who believe that someone's rights should be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation (or color, gender, age, or whatever) are by very definition, insane.

Right wingers can hold what ever spiritually inaccurate beliefs they choose to. What they should NOT be allowed to do is to write those beliefs into law.

They use gay marriage as a wedge issue to stir up the trailer park neanderthals. Because there's no way that the party of Ken Mehlman, Karl Rove, Mary Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, David Drier, Matt Drudge, Lindsey Graham, and Anndrew Coulter is actually opposed to gay rights.
                I come from very conservative roots and I know the animal. They think very different than you do. First, they believe the world is going to end in a huge world war and the time for it is soon. They also believe the world will be at it's lowest level morally. Homosexuality to these people is right there with beastiality and is a mockery of the God and his laws. Homosexuality is Soddom and Gamorah.

You believe everyone is entitled to freedom of expression and rights under the law. The Religiouse Right believe the Constitution workds only with a moral population.

Gay marriage was the straw the broke the camel's back and good luck getting more votes from the conservative side. Bush isn't that popular but the way the religiouse conservatives see it, it's God's will that we are in the middle east and signs of the times. Jesus is comming soon and they are going to get their reward for being good Christians and can't wait.

It might sound insane but this is what they believe. Bush is doing God's will because God's people will fight for Israel against people who want to destroy Israel. They believe scripture right now is being fullfilled.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Basically the Muslims have a hard on because Maadi is coming back to win their fight and the Christians have a hard on because Jesus is coming back to win the fight. Dreams of rapture and paradise are all over.

Right now we live in a fog of political correctness but that will melt soon enough and the casba will rock harder than ever. Let's not forget the orthodox Jews, the messiah is coming.

No way are we going back to pre 9/11 anytime soon. The shit has hit the fan. The worlds three largest religions are about to mix it up big time and all three have huge boners because scripure is being fullfilled.

Watch the Jews run the Muslims off the temple mount and start assembling the Third Temple. Watch the retaliation. What the US be in the middle of it. Watch the world pick sides and duke it out.

To a non-believer it's scary as shit but to a believer, it's the gloriouse predictions of John the Revelation coming true!

So yeah, what I'm getting at is it's more than Republican or Democrat, the country is split on religiouse beliefs and values. As time continues, each side will hate each other more than ever.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Well I guess I left out the Hindus and Buddists. I should have said the three Abrahamic religions. The seed of Abraham are fucked. LOL!

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

they're a bunch of fucking moronic nut bags....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

They think the same of you. All I know is the Republicans and Democrats are going to suck major hispanic cock trying to get those votes on their side.

The Democrats have painted themselves in a corner. Here you have Republicans who feel screwed by their own party but still won't vote Democrat because of the gay thing.

Get a moderate like AL Gore and have Tipper run some conservative censorship thing again and they still aren't going to get those votes.

Hillary Clinton said her and Bill even tried to get young people to vote and it didn't work well. The young vote is up for grabs and they are stupid enough to manipulate but they are also so dumb they don't vote even when P-Diddy said to do so.

Meanwhile Dick Chenney laughs and says, go ahead and make my day, the Conservative Right will vote for us no matter what.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                          Are Neo Cons literally Mental?

Pretty broad question.

However if the ones who post here are any indication....

a simple yes is called for.

Yes.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"Sodom & Gomorrah Liberals?" LOL Nitro, have you been drinking embalming fluid again? That must be some good shit!

Comment

Working...