X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ULTRAMAN VH
    Commando
    • May 2004

Mitt Romney for President????

Meet the Next President: Romney - The Man to Beat?

Bill Sammon, The Examiner
    Sep 11, 2006 5:00 AM (3 days ago)
    Current rank: # 40 of 7,333 articles

BOSTON - Lately it seems as if Mitt Romney — a Mormon who wants to disabuse the public of the misconception that his church condones polygamy — simply cannot catch a break.

First there was “Big Love,” a TV series about polygamy in Utah that made a major splash on HBO in March. Although the show’s creators pointed out that the official Mormon Church has banned polygamy since 1890, casual viewers don’t always make the distinction.

Then came the high-profile arrest last month of polygamist Warren Steed Jeffs, who was on the FBI’s Most Wanted List. Jeffs was the leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a moniker that is confusingly close to the Mormon church’s official name, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“It bothers me no end that the term polygamy keeps being associated with my faith,” says Romney, the governor of Massachusetts, in an interview with The Examiner. “There is nothing more awful, in my view, than the violation of the marriage covenant that one has with one’s wife.

“The practice of polygamy is abhorrent, it’s awful, and it drives me nuts that people who are polygamists keep pretending to use the umbrella of my church,” he adds in his ornate office at the State House. “My church abhors it, it excommunicates people who practice it, and it’s got nothing to do with my faith.”

Romney becomes animated about the issue because he knows that Mormonism looks suspiciously like a cult to some evangelical Christians, a crucial voting bloc in the Republican presidential primaries of 2008. To assuage such voters, Romney is quick to point out similarities between Mormonism and other brands of Christianity.

“I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ as my savior,” he says. “I’m sure there are differences between the doctrines of my church and the doctrines of other churches that believe in God and Jesus Christ.”

He adds: “But I do believe that the values which are part of my heritage are very much the American values that people look for in a leader. And that’s why in a state like this one, which is 55 percent Catholic, they wondered about a Mormon guy, but quickly recognized that the values that I have are very much the values of people of faith throughout the land.”

Romney’s religion might be something that could “bite him” in a presidential race, said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform and one of the most influential conservatives in Washington. But Norquist is generally bullish on Romney’s White House prospects.

“When I talk to each of the presidential candidates, every one of them brings up Romney — unsolicited — because they’re all focused on him as the smartest, toughest guy in the race,” Norquist said last month.

When reminded of Norquist’s remarks, Romney flashes a movie-star smile and deploys his self-deprecating sense of humor.

“Well, Grover’s my brother, actually — we changed his name when he got older,” he jokes before turning serious. “I’m honored by his compliment and I would aspire to be tough and smart.”

From a conservative perspective, Romney is indeed tough on immigration (he opposes a guest-worker program until the borders are secured), gay marriage (he wants a constitutional ban) and national security (he generally supports President Bush’s Iraq policy). Last week, he pleased conservatives even further by criticizing Harvard for inviting former Iranian president Mohammed Khatami, whom he called “a terrorist,” to speak on the eve of the fifth anniversary of Sept. 11.

But Romney may not be considered tough enough on the issue that is of paramount importance to many conservatives: abortion.

When he ran for governor in 2002, he proclaimed: “I believe women should have the right to make their own choice.” But now that he’s considering a run for president, Romney insists: “I’m firmly pro-life.”

“My position has changed,” he acknowledged to The Examiner.

Romney says his epiphany occurred just two years ago, when discussing stem cell research with a pair of experts from Harvard.

“At one point, one of the two said, ‘this is not a moral issue because we kill the embryos at 14 days‚’ ”

Romney recalls. “And I looked over at Beth Myers, my chief of staff, and we both had exactly the same reaction, which is it just hit us hard.

“And as they walked out, I said, ‘Beth, we have cheapened the sanctity of life by virtue of the Roe v. Wade mentality.’ And from that point forward, I said to the people of Massachusetts, ‘I will continue to honor what I pledged to you, but I prefer to call myself pro-life.’ ”

Romney pledged during the campaign not to change the state’s abortion laws, a position that made him more politically palatable in an overwhelmingly pro-choice state. Asked why he would sit out the fight over one of the most important issues of the day, Romney says he preferred to focus on 100 other issues that he had chosen as his platform.

Pressed on whether he should have displayed more leadership on the abortion issue, Romney replies: “You decide which of the things that you’re going to take and you’re going to fight for. And that’s exactly what I did.”

Stuart Rothenberg, publisher of the Rothenberg Political Report, says Romney’s evolving stance on abortion dates back to at least 1996, when he sought to become a U.S. Senator from Massachusetts.

“He was pro-choice when he ran against Ted Kennedy in the Senate race,” Rothenberg says. “Then he was pro-life, but he wouldn’t do anything, when he ran for governor. And now he’s unapologetically, consistently, unalterably pro-life.”

He adds: “That certainly starts out as a problem.”

In an effort to mitigate that problem, Romney plays up his family values.

“I’m, first, deeply committed to the principle of the family being the foundation of our society,” he says. “I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart for 37 years. We have five children, nine grandchildren.”

By contrast, a number of other Republican presidential hopefuls have been divorced.

Should Mitt Romney join a 2008 race that included John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Newt Gingrich and George Allen, the only guy in the GOP field with only one wife would be the Mormon, quips Kate O’Beirne of National Review.

As for McCain, Romney says he is delighted to see him anointed as the early front-runner by the mainstream media.

“There’s nothing I’d like better than seeing someone else out there as the front-runner,” he says. “Back in 1968, my dad was the front-runner and he lost.”

Indeed, former Michigan Gov. George Romney was the early favorite to capture the Republican presidential nomination nearly four decades ago. But he torpedoed his own campaign by remarking that his early support for the Vietnam war had been the result of “brainwashing.”

Although Romney would certainly strive to avoid any such gaffe in a general election campaign against Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., he acknowledges that vanquishing her will not be easy.

“Hillary Clinton would be a far more effective candidate than the pundits and the public at large perhaps give her credit for today,” he says. “And that’s because many of us remember her as the first lady, new to the job and with her health care plan making a blunder or two. I think she’s been more schooled and more experienced since then.”

Still, Romney says that ultimately “people will reject her brand of liberalism, recognizing that it will make America weaker, not stronger.”

He adds: “She’d win in a landslide the primaries and I think she’ll lose in the general.”

Willard Mitt Romney

1947: Born in Detroit, son of former Republican Michigan Gov. George Romney

1965: Graduates from Cranbrook Kingswood prep school in Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

1968: Completes 2.5 years of missionary work in France on behalf of the Mormon church

1969 » Marries high-school sweetheart, Ann. The couple will eventually have five sons.

1971 » Graduates from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah

1975 » Receives MBA and law degrees from Harvard in Cambridge, Mass.

1978 » Joins Bain Consulting in Boston

1984 » Romney and two other partners spin off Bain Capital, which becomes a highly successful venture capital firm

1994 » Mounts failed bid to unseat Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

1999 » Takes over the scandal-plagued planning for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah

2002 » Elected Governor of Massachusetts

What changes would he make as president?

Abortion

He now says: “I’m firmly pro-life.” But in 2002, when he ran for governor of Massachusetts, he said: “I believe women should have the right to make their own choice.”

Gay marriage

Supports a constitutional ban.

Health care

Pushed through mandatory health insurance for all residents of Massachusetts, saving taxpayers from subsidizing hospitals for indigent care.

Immigration

Opposes any guest-worker program until the borders have been secured.

Iraq

Generally supports President Bush’s policy, although he has criticized intelligence failures, Abu Ghraib and what he called insufficient troop levels.

Taxes

Has kept a 2002 campaign pledge not to raise taxes in Massachusetts. In 2004, his call for a tax cut was rejected by the Democratic legislature.

What they are saying

David Yepsen

Political columnist

Des Moines Register

PRO » “He’s optimistic, energetic, upbeat … He’s doing about as well as any Republican is in this state.”

CON » “The Mormon question keeps coming up, but I hear more media people asking it than I hear rank and file in Iowa talking about it.”

Charlie Cook

Editor

Cook Political Report

PRO » “The guy’s got movie-star good looks.”

CON » “I can hear in my mind a phone bank in South Carolina saying: ‘Do you realize that if Mitt Romney’s elected president, he’ll be the first president to take an oath of office with his hand on the Book of Mormon?’

Larry Sabato

Political scientist,

University of Virginia

PRO » “Romney has as much or more charisma than anyone in the GOP field. He’s a good speaker and he cuts a dashing figure.”

CON » “Christian conservatives have

major doctrinal problems with Mormonism … and most Republicans really don’t trust anyone, even a Republican, who can get elected in the liberal Bay State.”

After studying the polls, consulting the handicappers and interviewing the candidates themselves, The Examiner has winnowed a list of some 30 potential presidential contenders down to 10. The result is Meet the Next President, a two-week series of in-depth profiles of the 10 people most likely to become the next leader of the free world. It's a behind-the-scenes look at Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, front-runners and dark horses in the 2008 presidential sweepstakes - even before the 2006 midterms have been decided. With presidential campaigns starting earlier each election cycle, why wait?

bsammon@dcexaminer.com
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

He's a good guy, I used to live next to some relatives of his. I grew up in the Mormon Church but left it years ago.

My deffinition of a Mormon is anyone who follows the doctrine of Joseph Smith. That actually includes sevral groups: The Reorganized Church of Latter-Day Saints (Located in Independance, Missouri)--This group later changed their name to The Community of Christ and is fazing out Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Located in Salt Lake City) The is the largest and richest Mormon church, The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ (Located in Colorado City, AZ) This is Warren Jeffs clan of polygamist.

One reason I left Mormonism was growing up I was told Polygammy was pradiced because there were more women than men and it was done for survival reasons. Wrong! I did some research and Joseph Smith was practicing polygamy in secret way before the Mormons were driven out west. Joseph invented the temple cerimony and temple marriage to cover and justify his womanizing using Old Testiment propehts as an excuse to do it.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has gone to great lengths to paint a mainstream image for itself. They are losing membership and realize they need to sell the church better. The problem is the doctrines of Joseph Smith keep haunting it.

In the future, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Salt Lake City based church faze out Jospeh Smith and the Book of Mormon just like the Reorganized Church in Missouri did. In the end, it's survival of the organization that counts more that the doctrine. The LDS Church of today would be unrecogizable from when Brigham Young ran it. Religion changes and anyone that says religion is of God, is perfect, and unchanging has their head up their ass.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Satan will be running a ski resort on Beelzebub Mountain before the Republican party nominates a Mormon for President.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7cthPgL5Xk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7cthPgL5Xk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Not to mention they would have to hypocritically deny everything they ever said about a candidate from Massachussettes not being "electable".

Or would Twit go back to being from Utah again? This carpetbagging shit is getting ridiculous. (And yes, Sadist, I said the same thing about Hillary)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I got a good laught at the current Mormon prophet Gordon B. Hickley when he hired a Jewish PR Firm to help him try and mainstream the Mormon church image.

I'm watching the charming old man on Larry King and 60 Minutes and he's lying and denying what the church really believes. Jospeh Smith and Brigham Young were rolling in their graves.

Yes, Mormons believe they can become Gods themselves and polygammy is still part of the doctrine. A man can marry more than one wife in the temple as long as the previouse one is divorced or dead. So in a spiritual sense, the church still practices polygammy.

The temple is the gate to omnipotent power and poontang.

Mormons have great influence in Utah, and parts of Idaho and Arizona. Outside of those areas, they have no real influence and yup, if you are one, count on not being president anytime soon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Talk about being fucked though. You call yourself a conservative but because you are Mormon, none of the conservative political power is allowed to drop into your hands unless you live in Utah. Orrin Hatch has been fucking Mormons and the rest of us over in Washington for years.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I've never been a member of the LDS church, but I have read the Book of Mormon and have known several Mormons over the years from neighbors to classmates in high school to an ex girlfriend who briefly thought she could convert me.

My own theory about the LDS church, is that God is using them as an example to show the world what man can do to a church.

For if the Mormon church can go so far from the teachings of Joseph Smith in less than 200 years, then how far has the Christian church gone from the teachings of Jesus Christ in 2000.

It doesn't even matter whether you believe Joseph Smith actually talked to Elohim and JC in the woods or not. Even if he totally made the whole thing up, the point is that the succeeding "prophets" of the LDS have lost the plot in less than two centuries.

Compare that to the Christian church and realize that the Bible as we know it wasn't even compiled until the 4th century after JC.

I'm completely open to the idea of JC visiting the "Lamanites" on this continent. He did tell his disciples (after the Resurrection) that He was going to visit "other sheep which are not of this fold". Were those other sheep on a different continent? A different planet? All that we know is that they weren't in the Middle East.

But as for the "Lamanites" and "Nephites" being tribes of Israel, I kinda doubt that.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

LOL@ this thread! Maybe George Pataki can be his running mate.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                LOL@ this thread! Maybe George Pataki can be his running mate.
                Or Holy Joe Lieberman?

Let's put a Mormon and a Jew on the same ticket and see which one pisses off the religious reich the most.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I was thinking more along the line of ineffective Republican governors that are unpopular in their own states.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I always thought it was funny that the Book of Mormon almost word for word copied the book of Isaiah from the King James version of the bible. Funny and what a coincidence because the Book of Mormon suppossedly was written by a Jews who migrated to America and the King James Bible can from Great Britian and was translated from Greek. Mormon wrote his book in reformed Egyptian. All this but yet the King James Bible and Book of Mormon on the Isaiah scriptures are exactly the same.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                      Commando
                      • May 2004

Interesting, I thought the article contained a plethora of info on this candidate, and everyone zoomed right in on his Christian beliefs. I find it amusing that liberals are labeled as opened minded, yet display myopic thought when analyzing individuals with a conservative mindset.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
                        Interesting, I thought the article contained a plethora of info on this candidate, and everyone zoomed right in on his Christian beliefs. I find it amusing that liberals are labeled as opened minded, yet display myopic thought when analyzing individuals with a conservative mindset.
                        Liberals aren't the problem here.

We were the ones to elect the first Catholic president, JFK. We elected a Jewish vice president in 2000, even though Cruella, Jeb, and the BCE Supreme Court stole it. Kerry was also Catholic, and some right wingers actually asked him the same questions they asked Kennedy 40 years earlier!

It's YOUR party who insists on a white, self proclaimed evangelical "Christian" for a candidate.

Orrin Hatch is one of the most powerful Republican senators. But he ran for President 2 or 3 times and was shot down early in the primary, because the Robertson-Falwell-wing of the party would not accept a Mormon candidate. Alan Keyes was thrown out of the 2000 convention. Might as well have been the "old South" in that case.

And the Republicans have yet to run even a Catholic for President, although Congress is full of Republican Opus Dei Catholics.

When it comes to nominating for the top job, your party might as well be standing around the burning cross in your bedsheets.....
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                          Commando
                          • May 2004

LOL

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

That cartoon on Mormonism rocks. They went back to old school Mormon Doctrine on that one including Brigham Young's Adam God theory and why the seed of Cain is black. Of course to avoid public criticism from the NAACP and other black groups, the Mormons caved in and let every black male hold church leadership positions.

What I find amazing is a Mormon can't get elected president but a stone owl worshipping, druid dressing Bohemian Grove member like daddy and Jr. Bush can. Far wierder and scarier shit goes on at Bohiemian Grove than in a Mormon Temple.

The challenge of the Mormon Temple is staying awake. It's boring as hell in there.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

What I find amazing is a Mormon can't get elected president but a stone owl worshipping, druid dressing Bohemian Grove member like daddy and Jr. Bush can. Far wierder and scarier shit goes on at Bohiemian Grove than in a Mormon Temple.

The challenge of the Mormon Temple is staying awake. It's boring as hell in there.
                              So why do they keep it such a secret then?

And if Elohim was Adam, shouldn't he have known better than to eat from a tree that he told himself not to eat from? Or didn't he recognize his son Lucifer in the snake suit?
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...