PDA

View Full Version : New Black Label Society Album

binnie
09-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Anyone heard this?

Like a lot of people on this site, on previous records I wish that Zakk had hired a singer. This band is certainly prolific (seven records now) but they have never topped their first record "Sonic Brew" (although "The Blessed Hellride" came close, IMO).

This new record is a godsend. Zakk is now on Roadruner records, and this sees him team up with Michael Beinhorn to produce and Randy Staub to mix. Consequnrtly, this album sounds much more mature; firstly, someone has shown them how to record drums (a failing of many guitar virtuoso bands); and secondly, there are no longer hte gapping holes between the parts that have been so evident on previous releases.

But a more polished production doesn't mean that this record doesn't rock like a motherfucker!! Beinhorn has focussed on the songs, cutting the fat out so that most of them don't go beyond 3.5 minues (I often find that many bands like this pan songs out to five minutes with lots of wasted space) and Zakk pinch harmonics, whilst still evident, no longer occur every other bar. The solo's are also shorter, but still with that "wow" factor.

Zakk has also balanced the piano ballads he loves to write so much, and has moved his lyrical content beyond the wounded solidier walking lonley through a miserbale world.

The Alice In chains influence is still prevelent, and Zakk vocals have definately had some studio magic on them, which makes the record sound stronger (although it is cheating: why doesn't he hire a singer).

A fantastic record all round: I love the old BLS ass kicking, metal in my veins records with tin can production, but there's only so many of them he can make. This is a move forward whilst without sacrificing what they are all about: HEAVY FUCKING METAL.

The last record went platinum, who knows where this can go on a major label. I'm just glad that the hardest working man in metal is getting is back with a killer record!

Not a dull moment on it.

Bring on the tour!

Jimmy Jingles
09-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Anyone heard this?

Like a lot of people on this site, on previous records I wish that Zakk had hired a singer. This band is certainly prolific (seven records now) but they have never topped their first record "Sonic Brew" (although "The Blessed Hellride" came close, IMO).

This new record is a godsend. Zakk is now on Roadruner records, and this sees him team up with Michael Beinhorn to produce and Randy Staub to mix. Consequnrtly, this album sounds much more mature; firstly, someone has shown them how to record drums (a failing of many guitar virtuoso bands); and secondly, there are no longer hte gapping holes between the parts that have been so evident on previous releases.

But a more polished production doesn't mean that this record doesn't rock like a motherfucker!! Beinhorn has focussed on the songs, cutting the fat out so that most of them don't go beyond 3.5 minues (I often find that many bands like this pan songs out to five minutes with lots of wasted space) and Zakk pinch harmonics, whilst still evident, no longer occur every other bar. The solo's are also shorter, but still with that "wow" factor.

Zakk has also balanced the piano ballads he loves to write so much, and has moved his lyrical content beyond the wounded solidier walking lonley through a miserbale world.

The Alice In chains influence is still prevelent, and Zakk vocals have definately had some studio magic on them, which makes the record sound stronger (although it is cheating: why doesn't he hire a singer).

A fantastic record all round: I love the old BLS ass kicking, metal in my veins records with tin can production, but there's only so many of them he can make. This is a move forward whilst without sacrificing what they are all about: HEAVY FUCKING METAL.

The last record went platinum, who knows where this can go on a major label. I'm just glad that the hardest working man in metal is getting is back with a killer record!

Not a dull moment on it.

Bring on the tour!

Actually just downloaded a copy today and I am listening to it right now.

So far, so good.

m_dixon1984
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
First of all...Mafia went platinum??? I have to say I'm a little shocked...but pleasantly so.

Second of all...Woo Fucking Hoo!! I'm going out to buy the new one now so I can have something new to listen to this weekend.

Thanks for the heads-up.

M

Tiki-Tom
09-15-2006, 07:06 PM
I like most of Zakk's stuff too and also think he needs a good singer to kick things up a notch. One other thing that would help is for Zakk to lay off the pinch harmonics. I hope you're right about that.

binnie
09-18-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
One other thing that would help is for Zakk to lay off the pinch harmonics. I hope you're right about that.

He's laid off them, but they're not gone entirely!

Tiki-Tom
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by binnie
He's laid off them, but they're not gone entirely!

Would not hurt my feelings if he never used them again. It was ok for a while but man,talk about overkill. That said,Guess i should give it a listen. Harmonics aside I dig most of his other stuff. If it sounds similar then thats cool.

WACF
09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Zakk should hire Ozzy.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Hell yeah, I'm downloading it now!

I can't wait to blast it.

binnie
09-19-2006, 03:14 AM
New Religion is an amazing tune!

WACF
09-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I liked Mafia...it took a few listens but I agree...this one is a bit better.

Douglas T.
09-19-2006, 01:24 PM
....damn I knew there was something I was gonna pick up on the way home for lunch!

binnie
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
You won't be disappointed DT!