Wars' Death Tolls Now Match 9/11

Published: September 23. 2006 3:00AM
    Nation/World
    U.S. military deaths match 9/11 losses
    Toll in Iraq, Afghanistan hits 2,973

September 23, 2006

BY CALVIN WOODWARD

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    WASHINGTON -- Now the death toll is 9/11 times two.

U.S. military deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan now match those of the most devastating terrorist attack in U.S. history, the trigger for what came next.

Add casualties from chasing terrorism suspects elsewhere in the world and the total has passed the Sept. 11, 2001, figure.

The latest milestone for a country at war came Friday without commemoration.

It came without the precision of knowing who was the 2,973rd service member to die in conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The terrorist attacks killed 2,973 people in New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Not for the first time, war that was started to answer death has resulted in at least as much death for the country first attacked, quite apart from the higher numbers of enemy and civilians killed, too.

Historians note that this grim accounting is not how the success or failure of warfare is measured, and that the reasons for conflict are broader than what served as the spark.

The body count from World War II was far higher for Allied troops than for the crushed Axis.

Americans lost more men in each of a succession of Pacific battles than the 2,390 people who died at Pearl Harbor in the attack that led the United States to declare war on Japan. The United States lost 405,399 in the theaters of World War II.

Despite a death toll that pales next to that of the great wars, one casualty milestone after another has been observed and reflected upon this time, especially in Iraq.

There was the benchmark of seeing more U.S. troops die in the occupation than in the invasion. And there were the watersheds of 1,000 dead, 2,000, 2,500.

Now this.

"There's never a good war, but if the war's going well and the overall mission remains powerful, these numbers are not what people are focusing on," said Julian Zelizer, a political historian at Boston University.

Almost 10 times more Americans have died in Iraq than in Afghanistan, where U.S. casualties have been light by historical standards.

Earlier Friday before the latest two deaths, the U.S. toll stood at 2,693 in the Iraq war and 278 in and around Afghanistan, a total of 2,971. It is unclear where those deaths occurred.

The Pentagon reports 56 military deaths and one civilian Defense Department death from Operation Enduring Freedom, the antiterrorism effort distinct from Iraq.

Altogether, 3,028 people have died abroad since Sept. 11, 2001.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • DEMON CUNT
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Nov 2004

All you noecons must be so proud!

Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

LoungeMachine, you should be prepared to be bombed back to the stone age unless you stop posting these sorts of threads.
      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
        LoungeMachine, you should be prepared to be bombed back to the stone age unless you stop posting these sorts of threads.

My sig is bigger than your sig......

So I am invinceable [or how ever it's spelled]

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Not like that anyhoo...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This article of course ignores the fact that estimates of civilian deaths in Iraq vary from 20 000 to 100 000 with 50% being kids.

Morally speaking I'm unsure why we should care more so much more about an commodities broker in the WTC than a 3 year old kid in Iraq who was killed before they even knew they were an Iraqi.

Who knows the Iraqi child may have grown up to do something which helped humanity?

The guy that made tons of money trading but added nothing to the world is a hero. the kid is forgotten.
            Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-23-2006, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              This article of course ignores the fact that estimates of civilian deaths in Iraq vary from 20 000 to 100 000 with 50% being kids.

And of course it's never been about NUMBERS.

It's just a significant milestone.

One we knew was coming.....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm walking an insanely dangerous line here but I wonder if on average you would kill more good people killing 3000 people in an average US shopping mall than in the WTC. How many lawyers or people that were very rich from speculating on money movements?

FUCKING OUCH!

I feel bad even posting that especially after being treated so well by the folk at 'Windows on the World' who were all killed because they were doing a breakfast/lunch thing on the top floor.

I know it's in the nature of news reporting that I'm more concerned about a kid being run down by a car within a mile of my house rather than a kid in Calcutta having thesame thing happen but still when you get into general stats like that then it's maybe worth taking a step back and wondering...

I don't know how Bush and Blair can sleep at night. I notice Blair has aged 10 years in the last 2. If I ran a countrty I would know that war was the absolute last resort. It would have to be completely just and save 10 times more lives than were lost.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  I'm walking an insanely dangerous line here but I wonder if on average you would kill more good people killing 3000 people in an average US shopping mall than in the WTC. How many lawyers or people that were very rich from speculating on money movements?

FUCKING OUCH!

Don't give them any ideas, Sesh. Larry Silverstein and Frank Lowy, who acquired the lease to the WTC just 6 weeks before 9-11-01, also happen to own a lot of shopping malls.

Including the one in my town. Which is why I shop there as little as humanly possible.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

There was no reason we had to immediately rush into war. What we should have done was shore up our deffenses at home using cutting edge technology and some old proven low tech methods.

The terrorists wanted us to chase them into Afganistahn but even they didn't anticipate an Iraq invasion. They got what they wanted, we're bogged down on their home turf and the longer we stay and the more fuckups resulting in Muslim victoms the worse we are going to look to the Muslims and the more recruiting power radicle Islam has.

We should have shored up the homefront first and then anayzed how to give Al Quaida some payback without them bennefiting from it.

We did exactly what they wanted us to do and more. Now we're stuck and they can call us an ivader and recruit thousands to their cause.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...