X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

VAN HALEN rockumentary...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xv8oJUzw1E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xv8oJUzw1E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I3FopURI4zI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I3FopURI4zI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/COC3Pws_9pQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/COC3Pws_9pQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

After seeing that you have to really wonder...is IT ever going to happen?
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• The_KiD
      Commando
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
      After seeing that you have to really wonder...is IT ever going to happen?
      Yea, I just watched all three and I agree... Nice footage though, I had not seen all of it until now.. Thanks..

Cheers,

KiD

Comment

• jero
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Good find!! (for a german)

Comment

• AJW
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2004

I think the band Van Halen is done IMHO.

On a side note I would have loved to lift up that hot chicks mini red leather skirt and gone to town on her. HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jero
            Good find!! (for a german)
            good post (for a dutch)
            Roth Army Icon

Comment

• jero
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
              good post (for a dutch)

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Down side: WAY too much focus on the Van Hagar years.

CVH was together just as long (and commercially more successful) as/than Van Hagar, yet they get about half the documentary time...

But nice find. Still want to reach through the screen and punch Eddie every time I hear that "lie detector test" blather of his.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  Still want to reach through the screen and punch Eddie every time I hear that "lie detector test" blather of his.
                  the sisters appear as such big assholes in this interview...it's unbelievable...
                  Roth Army Icon

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

wow such conflicting stories about the 96 fiasco that i dont know who to beleive now
                    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Think it went down like this:

Ed got tired of dealing with Hagar.

Roth was informed about the greatest hits package by WB, and around the same time began hearing rumors of problems with Ed and Sam. Roth called Ed. Ed went to Dave's house.

Sam was still in the band at this point, but was in Hawaii.

While Sam was out there, Dave went over to 5150. Maybe Ed had told Dave that Hagar was leaving the band before he told Hagar, but at any rate Dave starts working with the band. Ed likes what he hears. Calls Hagar, tells him to hit the bricks.

While the 2 BOV1 tunes are being worked on, Al and Scotti Ross contact Cherone and keep him on ice as a backup.

The two BOV1 tunes are finished. Dave is kept on ice, or at least at arms length ("baby steps", "let's see how it [the tour] goes", "one step at a time" and other such oblique assurances are given). The Van Halens contact Cherone, bring him out to 5150. Dave hears all about this, but perhaps thinks once the BOV1 tunes are released, the natural public response for CVH to tour and record a full-length album will convince the Van Halens to jettison any thoughts of continuing with Cherone. MTV contacts the Van Halens and management re: the band appearing at the VMAS (Alex and his assertion that "Dave wasn't really invited" is just bullshit; MTV contacted the Van Halens to invite the CVH LINEUP to the awards show - not just Eddie, his brother and the bass player. MTV knew that having Van Halen with Roth there was a ratings bonanza - why the fuck where MTV running the "Welcome Back, Kotter" spots in reference to Dave's return to the band if "Dave wasn't really invited"?).

The Van Halens have no intention by this point of continuing on with Roth...they have probably already felt encroached upon by Dave constantly calling them up and asking them when they're taking the show on the road during the whole process of the summer of 1996. BUT the Van halens have set the ball in motion for the whole reunion hype and it has gotten out of control. Instead of a quickie two songs with Roth for a Best Of album, now they have everyone breathing down their neck for a full-fledged reunion - something that sounded good to them in theory until they fully realized what it MEANT; dealing with Dave as an equal in the decision-making process, as opposed to a (in their eyes) disposable historical novelty they could use to sell a few (million) Greatest Hits records, then discard when it was all over.

Kinda smart planning on the part of the Van Halens. If Dave is humble and does what they say, they can reunite and sell millions, fill stadiums and laugh all the way to the bank. If Dave remains the Dave they disliked, they can use him, then get rid of him and use the same song-and-dance they peddled in 1985 all over again about Cherone being the best singer they ever had ("elephant balls, yet sings like an angel" is how I believe Ed eventually described Gary's voice) - AND get revenge on Dave for bailing on them a decade earlier in the process. The mentality being that they still had a large fanbase after Dave left, so as long as Eddie is there, nobody will care if Dave isn't...or even WHO is singing (fuck, let ED SING for all it matters).

So even AFTER the MTV debacle, even AFTER Dave was "very disrespectful to Beck" (talk about grasping for straws in terms of fabricated logic as to why Dave wasn't back in the band for good), the Van Halens STILL wanted to do a couple of videos with Dave...

And I'm sure if Roth hadn't went public with his side of the story and set the record straight and instead opted to do the videos, the Van Halens would have continued to rehearse quietly with Cherone, said nothing specific to Dave about any future plans beyond the videos until after they were made, and even THEN they probably wouldn't have had the balls to do the nut-cutting face-to-face with Dave: remember, the Van Halens only began responding to all of this stuff AFTER they were called out in the press by Dave. They didn't even tell Dave to fuck off after he supposedly mistreated them all so badly at the VMAs. Just kept stringing him along and letting him believe what he wanted to, until he finally called them on their bullshit. Once Dave sent out the press release, the Van Halens were caught responding. And no response, or even the cold truth, would have been better than the muddled stew of half-truths and outright fiction they chose to go with.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

I make that shorter...dave was ready to shut up, plug in and go and the sisters screwed him...
                        Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Seconds before disaster scientists look on nervously as Eddie Van Halen is connected to a lie detector machine

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

lie detector...ha...the last time a detecter showed an amplitude like ed would show then was the one that registered the earthquake in san francisco april 18th in 1906...
                            Roth Army Icon

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Eddie about Sam "his work ethic sucked", pot kettle black Sped.

Sam about Eddie and Alex "little white lie", pot kettle black Sam!!

They're as bas as each other!!

How is it that Sam tells a different story about how he got in the band in every interview?
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...