X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Alex Van Halen wanted Dave in the band

I found a DVD documentary called Van Halen "The Early Years" in the bargain bin at a big box retailer.

It had interviews with Dave's former bodyguard Ed Anderson, Mike Stone (VH's bass player before Mike Anthony), former roadies and friends.

It also had taped interviews with Dave, Alex, and Mike.

In the early days, Alex Van Halen was the band leader and Eddie was the singer. Alex said Eddie wasn't holding up as the singer very well and told Ed they needed to get someone to sing. Alex said he wanted Roth in the band because Roth was quite the showman even in the early days and would wear stuff nobody else would think of. Alex liked what he saw and wanted Roth in the band. Alex also said if they got Roth in the band they wouldn't have to keep renting his PA.

The guitarist in Mike Anthony's band snake said it was Eddie who wanted Mike in the band because Ed liked Mikes bass playing.

Mike Stone said Alex Van Halen asked where his interests laid. School or music. Mike who was a straight A student said school and Alex said he had to be let go because he had conflicting intrests. He said it hurt to be let go out of Van Halen but said Alex was right. Those guys were out to do it for life and not just as a side project.

Ed Anderson and former VH staff members said the difference in personalities and creative asperations started to sepparate Van Halen. It started with Diver Down which was a Roth album. Alex said 1984 was an Eddie Van Halen and Donn Landee album. He said he was on it but that album was Don's and Ed's mostly.

Ed Anderson said it got so bad towards the end that everyone would cringe when management wanted a band meeting. Having a successful album and number one hit really went to Dave's head. Dave got most the attention because he was the band's spokesman and in front. The rest of the band were not. That was fine with them but when Roth started to alienate the band that is where the big bad mojo came from.

Dave who once was prompt and reliable started blowing Van Halen off when he hit solo album and videos became the rage. Roth was getting attention without Van Halen and felt he no longer needed Van Halen and started rehearsing with his own band without telling VH first.

The big stink with Roth from the Van Halens and Mike was he tossed them away like a used condom after Roth started getting hit up with solo opportunities. The Van Halens who were at odds with Roth a lot of the time felt stabbed in the back because they put up with Dave's ego for so long to keep the band intact and as a unit. The rest of the band felt like Dave stabbed them in the back.

Andy Johns said the Van Halen's hate of David Lee Roth was "deep and wide" He said Eddie would actually break down crying and Alex would get very angry.

So there you go. The Van Halens feel like Dave stabbed them in the back and can't get over it. They don't trust the guy.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Dave doesn't trust them either and that's what turned that explosive chemistry into good music. I own this DVD and definitely enjoyed watching it. Having the late J.J. Jackson from MTV gave it that more "classic" feel to it. Too bad it's an unauthorized video.
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Probably why Van Halen looked convincing on stage is those guys were music proffessionals with a lot of years under their belts. They weren't going to argue during a gig. I guess behind the scenes they avoided Dave as much as possible and cringed when they had to be with him.

Dave even admitted he hated Ed building 5150 because the work would be done there instead of Roth's basement. Plus Roth always had managment on his side once the band got rolling.

That had to be a blow to Alex Van Halen's ego who used to be the band leader and the guy he chose to hire was now running things with Ted Templeman's and Noel Monk's balls in his back pocket.

Van Halen had a power war going on inside of it and that is what ruined the band and keeps it from reuniting. Alex Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen want to be the leaders and they both suck at it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I thought the DVD was well done and who didn't like JJ Jackson in the early days of MTV? It's kind of funny but I thought it was so cool you could see bands instead of just listening to them. To see them you had to go to a show.

Plus, the fans were so much out of the loop in those days. Now we have reality TV that lets us see how real some of these personalitis are unfortunately. In the late 70's and early 80's we really thought Alice Cooper lived in a dungeon and slept in a coffin. LOL! Who knew he had a golfing fetish then.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

In reality, maybe the ego that ruined Van Halen was the fuel that made it so good in the early years. Maybe a longer run was unobtainable. Like a dragster being run hard, something eventually breaks.

Like good sex or a good drunk, it has to come to an end sometime; even though, we don't want it to.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I think Dave wanted to strike when the iron was hot and it was red hot in 1984 and the rest of the band wanted to go home to Vallerie or whoever and enjoy their money by taking a year off.

Dave wanted to go and when VH would come with him, he found some guys who did.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Dave who once was prompt and reliable started blowing Van Halen off when he hit solo album and videos became the rage. Roth was getting attention without Van Halen and felt he no longer needed Van Halen and started rehearsing with his own band without telling VH first.

The big stink with Roth from the Van Halens and Mike was he tossed them away like a used condom after Roth started getting hit up with solo opportunities. The Van Halens who were at odds with Roth a lot of the time felt stabbed in the back because they put up with Dave's ego for so long to keep the band intact and as a unit. The rest of the band felt like Dave stabbed them in the back.

BULLSHIT.

Dave was pressing to record a new VH album. Ed and Alex were too stoned.

I say again.....BULLSHIT.

Ed Anderson, remember, is a disgruntled former employee of Dave's

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
                Banned
                • Mar 2005

al's a tool.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I heard Mike Stone was let go because of his interests in bongs, not school.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Re: Alex Van Halen wanted Dave in the band

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I found a DVD documentary called Van Halen "The Early Years" in the bargain bin at a big box retailer.

It had interviews with Dave's former bodyguard Ed Anderson, Mike Stone (VH's bass player before Mike Anthony), former roadies and friends.
                      The main pain in that video, for me, is where sauce Sobeleski bitches about Dave's onstage antics. Regarding the power struggle post, the dude that went, "Dave was the dude" pretty much nailed it. This may or may not have been posted before....listen to every word, and notice Stephen Pearcy's face starting to de-compose. V

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ft6i3OJ1ZtA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ft6i3OJ1ZtA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire

BULLSHIT.

Dave was pressing to record a new VH album. Ed and Alex were too stoned.

I say again.....BULLSHIT.

Ed Anderson, remember, is a disgruntled former employee of Dave's
                        Yeah but it wasn't just Ed Anderson. It was former roadies and Zlozower the photographer who love Dave. Dave's ego got big and sure I'm sure the VH's were sauced. I blame it on both.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          I heard Mike Stone was let go because of his interests in bongs, not school.
                          Eddie said in a guitar magazine interview that Mike Stone was a major stoner and couldn't keep time.

Alex said Mike Stone was let go because he had other interests than music.

Mike Stone said he was let go because he was a straight A student and couldn't be one and persue Van Halen at the same time.

Amazingly how everyone has their take. LOL! One angle is a stoned misfit and the other is a straight A student. I love oppinions because theres so much bullshit attatched to them.

Comment

• jharp84
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

It does not matter anymore til we get VH-1 version! Right! Fuck it the fuckin elevator door is closing now! We are all on borrowed time! Work it out now dlr & ed while this tiny window was left open by eddie's recent comments on stern! My work out sessions(favorite sport-draining liquids!) are running low waiting on these assholes!

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Yeah but it wasn't just Ed Anderson. It was former roadies and Zlozower the photographer who love Dave. Dave's ego got big and sure I'm sure the VH's were sauced. I blame it on both.
                              I also take issue with this re-telling of the FALL OF VAN HALEN.....

WHen DAVE left in 1985....the ENTIRE VAN HALEN organization went with him....

The secretaries, the lawyers, the truck drivers, the roadies, the TECHS...even EVH's GUITAR TECH RUDY went to work for DAVE.......

DAVE couldn't have been THAT difficult to deal with......to inspire that kind of loyalty......

Comment

Working...