X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5150Clown
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

The real deal (about the reunion)

Since 1996, we've learned so much that we can finally piece together what really happened that we don't have a reunion today.

As Dave stated, "Eddie did it".

You have to understand that the 1996 Reunion didn't happen NOT because of Dave's "shtick" but because Eddie wanted to control every aspect of the band. You can't have a record & tour under a "boss" controling everything. VH is about 4 individuals (as Sammy stated) and not about one guy calling all the shots.

Eddie and Dave argued for years, but Dave got all the attention as the frontman and the only one that had any sense of fame and economics and didn't drink his ass off. So Ed had zero control. When Dave left, Eddie felt helpless but then came Sammy who was passive but did take some charge. Ed continued drinking. It was until Ed was sober that he woke up and found that VH was defined by the singers (why would Eddie think such a thing is beyond me. It's the entire band). Then when Eddie got all pissed and wanted to control the band, he basically booted Sam, spit on Dave as a revenge and then got Charone as a puppet, but the plan did not work.

From what we've learned about the ill faded 2005 Sammy reunion, the state of the band is as follows:

Eddie & Alex ARE VanHalen. Sammy & Mike were "hired help". Therefore they get paid less and must follow direction by the bosses (Ed & Al). For this same reason it is that Dave will not play the game and do the dance. Despite Micheal Anthony telling him to "do it for the fans" as he stated in a past interview. This is the same reason why Sammy will not go back and also the same reason why the 2000 Reunion with Dave DID NOT WORK OUT. If you read carefully, lately Sammy has been siding with Dave. Which is crazy, but he's seen both sides now.

So now Eddie's saying that he doesn't know what happened in 2000 and that he's open to a reunion is a piece of shit. He also spoke badly of Mike. There is no reunion hopes because Ed is just laughing at all of them because he holds the full deck (so he thinks). It's a sham. Ed is a freak'n "monster" (as Sammy also said) and the lack of a reunion is basically ALL HIS FAULT. Don't get your hopes up high because he's open to a reunion alright....but it's HIS WAY OR NO WAY AT ALL.

And I will end as I started. With a quote from our beloved greatest frontman that the earth and VH ever knew...Mr David Lee Roth. "Eddie did it".

COMMENTS?
    "If Eddie & Dave would put asside their egos, Aerosmith would have to give up their tittle of the 'Greatest American Rock Band'"
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Would have to take issue with the statement that Dave got ALL the attention as the frontman in CVH. Ed had a level of recognition for his abilities that was deservedly as high as what Roth brought to the table (as opposed to Mike and Al, who to me have always been the bass player and Ed's brother).

Also the last Van Hagar reunion was in 2004, not 2005.

Far as 1996 went, what it boiled down to in the end was that Dave, despite his waning commercial visibility/"success" since, say, Skyscraper, was still essentially the same person he always had been. I think when Ed initially went to Dave's house in 1996, he may well have done it without anyone else in the band or VH's then management even knowing about it. The whole reunion was a lark that probably came about because Ed was tired of Sam (and apparently also Mike, according to Dave) and the timing felt right to do a one-off with Dave.

What Dave wasn't aware of was how much Ed and the others had changed since he left ten years previous. That probably explains a lot of his denial, even though "the icy grip in [his] stomach" was sending him signals that he was setting himself up to get duped. He just couldn't bring himself to believe that they would fuck him over.

But really 1996 turned out to be a good thing for Dave. It re-energized his career and revived interest in him. He certainly benefitted from the fallout of it far more than the Van Halens in the end, regardless of whatever money they made with Hagar two years ago.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 5150Clown
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for the corrections. It's true, Ed didn't craft up a revenge plot but he did spit on Dave and really, it ended up in a form of revenge. You're right..Dave benefited from the whole thing because the brothers had to swallow the bitter pill that EVERYONE wanted Dave back.

It's true...Dave was naive when he went back to the band (the house of wolves). Sam explains it clearly!!! Yet Dave has taken the high road and does not talk about it. However, in 2000, Dave was ready to fight and he held his grown...that's why we don't have a reunion and he's done the right thing.

I think Ed's biggest fear is to be an "oldies" band. Well...if they wait long enough, they will be. The timing back in 96 would have been great. They would have over shadowed the KISS reaunion. But it didn't work. Now.....I'm not sure that anyone other than the hardcore CVH fans will really care anymore. Hip Hop is king, VH is a big joke that is on and off and Rock is for all intents and purposes...dead.
      "If Eddie & Dave would put asside their egos, Aerosmith would have to give up their tittle of the 'Greatest American Rock Band'"

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 5150Clown
        VH is a big joke that is on and off and Rock is for all intents and purposes...dead.
        Van Halen a big joke? That's a pretty heavy statement....lotsa variables. I'd disagree based purely on the first six albums collective VIABILITY. Now, before anyone resorts to THE FINAL SOLUTION, let's watch this video!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_sTKxVwIWoc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_sTKxVwIWoc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

There is no reunion hopes because Ed is just laughing at all of them because he holds the full deck (so he thinks).

Ah, but Ed does hold all of the cards. Everyone is willing to do it, but Eddie is the one that always fucks it up.

Don't be surprised if Dave's tombstone has written on it...

EDDIE DID IT!!!!
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• philouze
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

you can't stop roth'n'roll

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
              Banned
              • Mar 2005

is it just me or has michael jackson's face changed a little over the past 20 years?

Comment

• bru87tr
                Commando
                • Apr 2004

words spoken true. it is eds way or the highway and thats the reason I always go back after get excited and really realize that it will never happen.

it really is such a shame that someone as old as ed and having a kid didnt mature him at all. I dont know how you can be at that age and a child not mature you.

ed really is immature. its a shame he is blinded by an ego wayyyyy bigger than daves. the only reason dave gets a bad ego wrap is because he doesnt hide it and he is who he is. ed tries to hide it and blame the ego game on dave, cause dave shows it and is obvious about it.

ed is truly an idiot and for a guy who wants to make new music and be in the music game sure is blinded by his own ego to see Dave is the one who can help him on that "NEW" music path.

ed is a moron. my 13 yr old nephew is more matire than ed is.

Since 1996, we've learned so much that we can finally piece together what really happened that we don't have a reunion today.

As Dave stated, "Eddie did it".

You have to understand that the 1996 Reunion didn't happen NOT because of Dave's "shtick" but because Eddie wanted to control every aspect of the band. You can't have a record & tour under a "boss" controling everything. VH is about 4 individuals (as Sammy stated) and not about one guy calling all the shots.

Eddie and Dave argued for years, but Dave got all the attention as the frontman and the only one that had any sense of fame and economics and didn't drink his ass off. So Ed had zero control. When Dave left, Eddie felt helpless but then came Sammy who was passive but did take some charge. Ed continued drinking. It was until Ed was sober that he woke up and found that VH was defined by the singers (why would Eddie think such a thing is beyond me. It's the entire band). Then when Eddie got all pissed and wanted to control the band, he basically booted Sam, spit on Dave as a revenge and then got Charone as a puppet, but the plan did not work.

From what we've learned about the ill faded 2005 Sammy reunion, the state of the band is as follows:

Eddie & Alex ARE VanHalen. Sammy & Mike were "hired help". Therefore they get paid less and must follow direction by the bosses (Ed & Al). For this same reason it is that Dave will not play the game and do the dance. Despite Micheal Anthony telling him to "do it for the fans" as he stated in a past interview. This is the same reason why Sammy will not go back and also the same reason why the 2000 Reunion with Dave DID NOT WORK OUT. If you read carefully, lately Sammy has been siding with Dave. Which is crazy, but he's seen both sides now.

So now Eddie's saying that he doesn't know what happened in 2000 and that he's open to a reunion is a piece of shit. He also spoke badly of Mike. There is no reunion hopes because Ed is just laughing at all of them because he holds the full deck (so he thinks). It's a sham. Ed is a freak'n "monster" (as Sammy also said) and the lack of a reunion is basically ALL HIS FAULT. Don't get your hopes up high because he's open to a reunion alright....but it's HIS WAY OR NO WAY AT ALL.

And I will end as I started. With a quote from our beloved greatest frontman that the earth and VH ever knew...Mr David Lee Roth. "Eddie did it".

COMMENTS?
                "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

it is true both dave and ed at the time had equal status of popularity at the time they were together. why ed thinks otherwise is beyond me.

I still love to watch the old videos and dave and ed always looked like they were happy and having a good time. ed knows inbhis heart dave is the frontman of VH and the public showed it with record sales.

"What Dave wasn't aware of was how much Ed and the others had changed since he left ten years previous. That probably explains a lot of his denial, even though "the icy grip in [his] stomach" was sending him signals that he was setting himself up to get duped. He just couldn't bring himself to believe that they would fuck him over."

thats just sad to think about, it really is. poor dave. atleast he is a standup guy and you can trust his word.

"But really 1996 turned out to be a good thing for Dave. It re-energized his career and revived interest in him. He certainly benefitted from the fallout of it far more than the Van Halens in the end, regardless of whatever money they made with Hagar two years ago."

it did bring back dave to being a rock star. atleast something good came of it. dave just keeps pounding it out. ed knows dave likes to work. who better to have as your frontman than a guy who works as hard as dave ? not having dave in VH is just a marketing dream going down the drain.

Originally posted by Terry
                  Would have to take issue with the statement that Dave got ALL the attention as the frontman in CVH. Ed had a level of recognition for his abilities that was deservedly as high as what Roth brought to the table (as opposed to Mike and Al, who to me have always been the bass player and Ed's brother).

Also the last Van Hagar reunion was in 2004, not 2005.

Far as 1996 went, what it boiled down to in the end was that Dave, despite his waning commercial visibility/"success" since, say, Skyscraper, was still essentially the same person he always had been. I think when Ed initially went to Dave's house in 1996, he may well have done it without anyone else in the band or VH's then management even knowing about it. The whole reunion was a lark that probably came about because Ed was tired of Sam (and apparently also Mike, according to Dave) and the timing felt right to do a one-off with Dave.

What Dave wasn't aware of was how much Ed and the others had changed since he left ten years previous. That probably explains a lot of his denial, even though "the icy grip in [his] stomach" was sending him signals that he was setting himself up to get duped. He just couldn't bring himself to believe that they would fuck him over.

But really 1996 turned out to be a good thing for Dave. It re-energized his career and revived interest in him. He certainly benefitted from the fallout of it far more than the Van Halens in the end, regardless of whatever money they made with Hagar two years ago.
                  Last edited by bru87tr; 10-01-2006, 10:51 AM.
                  "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2005

and all that in one breath...

Comment

• ritetoolforjob
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2005

i'd like to talk philosophy but i gotta take a shit. that stuff runs right through ya.....

Comment

• jharp84
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

It's really wolfgang controlling all!!

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Ego's the size of planets clash: The Van Halen Story!

Epilogue: Eddie did it!
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• 5150Clown
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2004

Ya know...perhaps Dave doesn't have THAT big of an ego. He's willing to put his name on the line ya know. The DJ gig, the rescue job, the country CD...these are things that people can laugh at you if you crash and burn. And Dave has crashed and burn on some stuff like the DJ gig...but he moves on. That takes balls! An ego filled person would leave this earth in shame.

Ed on the other half is a pussy. He won't even do a solo record and go on tour on his own with Satriani and the like. Sammy called him out on it and we all know it's true.

Look up Ed's birthday and check out his zodiac sign. He's just a difficult person. I know someone that had her birthday much in the same day as Ed. She was a major pain in the ass, freak!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Ya know...perhaps Dave doesn't have THAT big of an ego.
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...