PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Healey

Jérôme Frenchise
10-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Jeff Healey is a Canadian guitarist/singer who made an amazing record, "See the light", back in 1988, which was "hammered" on air at the time ("Confidence Man", "The River of no return"). Unfortunately, the outstanding dude - he is blind and plays sitting on a chair, standing up once in a while during his solos - had a taste for ballads, which maybe prevented him from becoming really huge.
"Hell to pay", his second album, still kicks ass though.
"See the light", the album, was a hit at the time - Healey was only 20 then - but it seems to have been forgotten a little.
You can see him in "Roadhouse", that movie with P. Swayze, where he plays the role of a pub bluesman, playing "Roadhouse Blues" for instance.
:cool:

"See the light" - live on TV:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPqlRcInrwI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPqlRcInrwI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jérôme Frenchise
10-02-2006, 04:00 AM
With SRV, "Look at little sister"

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XqU9RZqvFKY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XqU9RZqvFKY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jeff Healey went back to the blues in 1995 with "Cover to cover", which includes the inevitable classics. I haven't got it, but I've listened to it a couple of times, and it's grand. It's all in that touch he's got, that little different something that makes guitar players unique. :cool:

binnie
10-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Jeff is amazing, I strongly recommned people check out his stuff!

He plays with really emotion and feeling!

Good call Jerome!

FORD
10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
People used to mistake me for Jeff Healey back in the late 80's when he was at the peak of his MTV fame. I told them that I'll keep my eyesight, but I wished I could play guitar like that.

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Anyone notice Marcus Miller in the first clip...:cool:

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Bad ass shit!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Vengeance
10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I HATE this guy. He SUCKKKKKKS!!! As a Canadian, this fucker was rammed down my throat, and why??? Because he's blind. Oooooo, a blind guy can play guitar. Big fucking deal. Most guitarists can play with their eyes closed, so what's the big deal????

Matt White
10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....no.

JEFF is a talented mofo...............

diamondD
10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
People used to mistake me for Jeff Healey back in the late 80's when he was at the peak of his MTV fame. I told them that I'll keep my eyesight, but I wished I could play guitar like that.

Were they blind too? :D

Just kidding, I can see why that happened. :cool:

Mr. Vengeance
10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....no.

JEFF is a talented mofo...............

Try having to hear Angel Eyes on classic rock radio 50 times a week, still to this day.....

Diamondjimi
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Jeff is an amazing player. He devotes his time to running his bar "Healey's" in Toronto as well as playing horn in The Jazz Wizards.
He also hosts his own show on 91.1 Jazz fm in Toronto. He knows his stuff. Super nice guy as well.......

Hardrock69
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I saw him open for ZZ Top at the Forum in L.A. in the fall of 1990.

He kicked fucking ass.

Mr. Vengeance is just jealous cause he can't play that well...

:D

ULTRAMAN VH
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Jeff Healey is a great guitarist. He dominated the Summer airwaves back in 89.

Matt White
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Try having to hear Angel Eyes on classic rock radio 50 times a week, still to this day.....

I can understand the anger Mr. V..............But JEFF is a talented cat.

Not looking at the fret board is one thing...NEVER seeing the frets & the strings is quite another.....he can throw down with the best of 'em........

Mr. Vengeance
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Bahhhh...I hate his stuff, what can I say? It bores me.

Hardrock69
10-04-2006, 09:12 PM
LMAO!!!

Yeah but you did say rdio was a contibuting factor.

I wish Lynyrd Skynyrd would all die and go to Confederate Hell.

Why?

Because there is not a Classic Rock radio station on the plkanet that can go more than 3-4 hours without playing any of their stuff.

Great band....I sorta know one guy who is the latest addition to the triple threat guitar team. And I work with a guy who was on their sound crew and was on the plane when it crashed.

I have great respect for them, but I never want to hear them again.