Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Dubya Defends Hastert In Foley Scandal

Ignorance is bliss in Bushworld....

Congressional Sex Scandal Reverberates in Washington, Across US
    By Dan Robinson
    Washington
    03 October 2006

The controversy over a former Republican congressman who resigned amid revelations he sent sexually suggestive messages to male pages continues to reverberate in Washington and across the United States. President Bush called for a full investigation, as Republicans in the House of Representatives try to limit political damage from the scandal.

With Republican leaders trying to conduct damage control, a new blow was delivered in the form of a call by a key conservative newspaper for House Speaker Dennis Hastert to resign.

A Washington Times editorial said Hastert was "either grossly negligent or deliberately looked the other way in hopes that a brewing scandal would simply blow away."

Hastert has denied knowing that messages from former Florida Congressman Mark Foley, who resigned last week, were sexually suggestive or explicit and his spokesman rejected calls that he step down.

Speaking in California, President Bush said he was dismayed, shocked and disgusted by Foley's "unacceptable behavior" and urged a thorough and aggressive investigation. "I fully support [House] Speaker Hastert's call for an investigation by law enforcement into this matter. This investigation should be thorough and any violations should be prosecuted," he said.

The president went on to give a statement of support to House Speaker Hastert, saying he is sure the Republican lawmaker wants all the facts to come out.

The House Republican Majority Leader, Ohio Congressman John Boehner, reiterated the leadership's position that it had no knowledge of the sexually explicit nature of the Internet messages sent by Foley.

Had Speaker Hastert or anyone else known, Boehner said, they would have moved to expel Foley immediately and turn him over to authorities.

A Lousiana lawmaker, Representative Rodney Alexander, has said he first contacted House Republican leaders last year about Foley's activities.

And the head of the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee, Congressman Tom Reynolds, said he alerted Speaker Hastert in 2005 that Foley's messages had caused "some discomfort" to a congressional page.

In a radio interview Tuesday, Hastert said he and others "confronted" Foley about his Internet e-mail contacts after receiving a complaint from the parents of a congressional page, and ordered him to stop.

As House Republicans attempt to limit further political damage five weeks before the November 7th congressional election, they face mounting calls for Speaker Hastert to step down.

Democrats cranked up the pressure, with House Democratic Leader, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, alleging that Republicans tried to cover up the Foley matter. "This is about everybody who had any knowledge of this member of Congress, doing something that is against the law and a Republican leadership, not just him [Speaker Hastert], protecting the political future of Foley at the expense of protecting children," she said.

Additional twists emerged late Tuesday, in a Florida news conference by the former lawmaker's attorney, David Roth, who confirmed Foley is homosexual and suffered from sexual abuse as a teenager.

Noting that the former lawmaker entered a substance abuse and mental health facility, he said Foley accepts responsibility, but unequivocally states that he never had or attempted to have sexual contact with a minor.

Foley, the attorney added, does not blame what he called his totally inappropriate Internet messages on the fact that he was molested between the ages of 13 and 15 by a clergyman, but declined to identify the person or offer other details.

Asked why this information was being released now, Roth said it was part of Foley's efforts to recover from alcoholism and mental issues.

Former Congressman Foley's actions are the subject of an FBI. investigation of his electronic communications with congressional pages, teenagers who perform routine jobs for members of Congress.
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Denny is probably sitting there going........fucking great, the Chimp just had to say something.

You're doin a heckuva job, Denny
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Breaking news is that another Repuke pedophile is going to be outed tomorrow.

Anybody want to guess who?
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Meanwhile, FAUX News "accidentally" calls Pedopholey a "Democrat"

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Breaking news is that another Repuke pedophile is going to be outed tomorrow.

Anybody want to guess who?

KKKarl Rove?

Scottie McClellen?

Ken Mehlman?

Joe Thudner? [oops, too late]

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Fucking unbelievable.....

But then again, it's FAUX

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Wow. That's pretty damn ridiculous.
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• blueturk
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

The "president" shows what a good judge of character he is. He'll regret this one. Or does he ever regret anything?

"I know Denny Hastert .I meet with him a lot. He is a father, a teacher, a coach. He cares about the children of this country. I'm confident he will provide whatever leadership he can to law enforcement in this investigation."

Last edited by blueturk; 10-03-2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Little Texan
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

GOP stands for "Group Of Pedophiles"

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                    Wow. That's pretty damn ridiculous.

no it's not, it's intentional, and expected........and you still don't wanna see.....

Comment

• Dr. Love
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                      no it's not, it's intentional, and expected........and you still don't wanna see.....
                      message ... cryptic must be ..............

:confused: what?
                      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Ooops, FAUX did it again.........
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Little Texan
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It's obvious now that Fox is doing that on purpose.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I'm more apt to believe in incompetence than anything that ridiculous.
                            gnaw on it

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

Questions arise about when Hastert told of sex scandal

By Thomas Ferraro 1 hour, 37 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top House Republican, under fire for his handling of a Capitol Hill sex scandal, gained support on Wednesday but new questions arose about when he was told of a former congressman's troubling behavior toward teenage boys.

A senior party aide said House Speaker
                              Dennis Hastert, who oversees the congressional intern program at the center of the scandal, could be forced out after the November 7 elections, instead of immediately, as has been urged by some critics. Hastert has said he intends to stay on the job.

"Looks like right now he will keep his job for a maximum of one and one-half months," said a top party aide, adding that in the meantime Hastert may fire some staffers. Other aides said it remained unclear how long he would stay.

Kirk Fordham resigned under pressure on Wednesday as a top congressional aide to another House Republican and was quoted by ABC News as saying he told Hastert's chief of staff three years ago of inappropriate conduct by former Florida Republican Rep. Mark Foley (news, bio, voting record) with interns.

Hastert has said he first learned of some of Foley's most overtly sexually Internet messages to male congressional pages when they were disclosed last Friday by ABC, prompting Foley to resign and triggering a federal investigation.

Fordham told ABC that Hastert's chief of staff, Scott Palmer, met with Foley regarding the situation and that Hastert knew about that meeting. Palmer denied the assertion.

"What Kirk Fordham said did not happen," he said in a brief statement.

A Republican leadership aide challenged Fordham's veracity, noting he had been quoted earlier in the day as saying he was surprised to learn of Foley's behavior.

The investigation of Foley moved ahead on Wednesday, with federal prosecutors ordering the House of Representatives to preserve documents and materials related to his e-mail communications with male teenage pages, media reports said.

Democrats seeking to win control of Congress in the November 7 elections renewed their charge that Republicans had placed partisan politics above protecting congressional pages.

SCANDAL ROCKS CONGRESS

The political firestorm has rocked the U.S. Congress, and buoyed Democratic hopes they can take back control of the House as well as the Senate in next month's elections.

A few House Republicans have said they learned of Foley's e-mails to a 16-year-old former page as early as late last year. The boy's parents asked that the matter not be pursued.

Foley convinced colleagues the messages, one of which asked for a photo of the boy, were innocent.

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican, said if he had any prior knowledge about the matter he would have asked more questions. "You absolutely can't decide not to look into activities because one individual's parents don't want you to," Blunt said in Springfield, Missouri.

Fordham, who earlier worked for Foley, resigned as chief of staff to Rep. Tom Reynolds of New York, chairman of the House Republican campaign committee. Fordham helped advise Foley as the scandal unfolded last week.

"When I sought to help Congressman Foley and his family when his shocking secrets were being revealed, I did so as a friend of my former boss, not as Congressman Reynolds' chief of staff," Fordham said in a statement.

While the conservative Washington Times newspaper and some conservatives outside Congress have called on Hastert to step down, others, including
                              President George W. Bush, have voiced support for him. Many House Republicans, at least publicly, took a wait-and-see approach.

On Wednesday, Rep. Mike Pence (news, bio, voting record) of Indiana, chairman of the Republican Study Committee that claims about 100 members, and Republican Rep. Joe Pitts of Pennsylvania, chairman of the party's Values Action Team with about 70 members, issued a joint statement in support of Hastert.

"Regardless of our reservations about how this matter was handled administratively, we believe Speaker Hastert is a man of integrity who has led our conference honorably," the two wrote. "Speaker Dennis Hastert should not resign."

(Additional reporting by Richard Cowan and Jim Vicini)

Comment

Working...