Yo, Neo-Cons...Republican Senator Warner can't find any "Good News" in Iraq Either

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Yo, Neo-Cons...Republican Senator Warner can't find any "Good News" in Iraq Either

Warner Downbeat After Iraq Trip
    U.S. at Risk of Losing Bid to Control Baghdad, Senator Says

By Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, October 6, 2006; Page A03

The Republican chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee yesterday offered a stark assessment of the situation in Iraq after a trip there this week, saying that parts of the country have taken "steps backwards" and that the United States is at risk of losing the campaign to control an increasingly violent Baghdad.

Sen. John W. Warner (Va.) told reporters on Capitol Hill that the Iraqi government is having trouble making strides and is incapable of providing even basic human necessities to people in certain areas of the country. Though Warner praised U.S. efforts to keep Iraq under control, he was far less optimistic about the situation there than he had been over the past three years.

Echoing the sentiments of several leading Democrats on his committee, Warner said he believes the United States may have to reevaluate its approach in Iraq if the situation does not improve dramatically over the next several months.

"I assure you, in two or three months, if this thing hasn't come to fruition and if this level of violence is not under control and this government able to function, I think it's a responsibility of our government internally to determine: Is there a change of course that we should take?" Warner said. "And I wouldn't take off the table any option at this time."

Warner and other senators traveled to Jordan, Iraq and Israel this week to discuss the security situation and to evaluate the progress of the Iraqi government. He said U.S. military commanders believe there is no way to reduce the number of U.S. troops in the region in the foreseeable future because of a steady increase in the level of violence, and he added that it is important to acknowledge the civil insurrection, sectarian violence, "unacceptable level" of killings and "heavy casualties" among U.S. forces there.

Sen. Carl M. Levin (Mich.), the committee's ranking Democrat, who was on the same trip, called yesterday for a change in dynamic in Iraq if the government continues to falter in the coming months.

Warner blamed the Iraqi leaders for failing to improve conditions. "You do not see them taking the levers of sovereignty and pulling and pushing them and doing what is necessary to bring about a situation in Iraq whereby the people are able to live, have sufficient food and fresh water, and have a sense of confidence in their government that they're going forward," Warner said.

But he said the situation is not beyond repair. "We're not going to give up hope yet. Let's give it more time to work."

Warner acknowledged that, before the invasion of Iraq, there was a lack of understanding among members of Congress about how much it would take to give Iraq full sovereignty. He blamed himself for not aggressively asking such questions before the war.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Re: Yo, Neo-Cons...Republican Senator Warner can't find any "Good News" in Iraq Either

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Sen. John W. Warner (Va.) told reporters on Capitol Hill that the Iraqi government is having trouble making strides and is incapable of providing even basic human necessities to people in certain areas of the country. Though Warner praised U.S. efforts to keep Iraq under control, he was far less optimistic about the situation there than he had been over the past three years.

:eek:

Not Cut N Run I hope.......

Are there still NeoShits left in here who think we're better off "staying the course"????

Or have we run all of them off?

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Re: Re: Yo, Neo-Cons...Republican Senator Warner can't find any "Good News" in Iraq Either

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
      Are there still NeoShits left in here who think we're better off "staying the course"????

Or have we run all of them off?
      Fucking Finally!

That popping sound you hear is republican heads pulling out of republican asses.

Actually, both BigBland and Warhead have cut and run from the Front Line.
      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Gee, it's funny how the Republican perspective changes when they actually go to Iraq and see for themselves. Must be the "liberal" media is not showing how bad it is over there, as most actual journalists contend.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Bump for sadaist

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Sadly, this is the same guy who recently refused to enter the 2008 presidential race.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
              Sadly, this is the same guy who recently refused to enter the 2008 presidential race.

He's looking ahead to 2016

Comment

Working...