PDA

View Full Version : Poll: GOP Put Politics Over Safety

Nickdfresh
10-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Poll: GOP Put Politics Over Safety
Most Respondents Think GOP Leaders Knew About Foley's Sexually Explicit E-Mails To Teens

(CBS) An overwhelming majority of Americans think House Republican leaders put their own political interests ahead of the safety of congressional pages in their handling of the Mark Foley scandal, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll.

Seventy-nine percent of those polled — including 61 percent of Republicans — say GOP leaders were more concerned with politics than the well-being of the teenage pages.

Sixty-two percent think the Republican leadership was aware of the sexually explicit e-mails sent by former Rep. Foley before the public learned about them in late September — a charge many top Republicans deny. Two-thirds of Americans say GOP leaders did not take the matter seriously enough when they first learned about it.

DID HOUSE REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP KNOW ABOUT FOLEY’S SEXUALLY EXPLICIT E-MAILS?

Yes
62%
No
19%

Forty-six percent think embattled House Speaker Dennis Hastert should resign for his handling of the Foley disclosures. Two-thirds of Democrats and 44 percent of Independents say Hastert should step down; among Republicans, nearly half think he should not resign, while 25 percent say he should.

While 80 percent of Americans think the Foley scandal is a serious matter for the country, it's not clear how big an impact it will have on next month's midterm congressional elections.

SHOULD SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE DENNIS HASTERT RESIGN?

Should
46%
Should not
26%
Don't know
28%

Two-thirds of voters say the Foley scandal will make little difference in how they cast their ballots, but 21 percent say it will make them more likely to vote Democratic.

Democrats continue to hold a sizeable lead in the generic vote for Congress, with 49 percent of registered voters saying they'd support a Democratic candidate versus 35 percent who would support a Republican. Those numbers show little change from last month.

2006 CONGRESSIONAL VOTE (Among registered voters)

Democrat
49%
Republican
35%

Fewer Republicans, though, now say they are enthusiastic about voting in November, and fewer expect their party to win the most seats this year. Overall, 59 percent of voters, including 41 percent of Republicans, expect the Democrats to pick up seats in the House in November.

More Americans also now see the Democrats as the party holding the higher moral and ethical ground — once a Republican strength. Thirty-seven percent think the Democrats have higher ethical standards, compared to 32 percent for the Republicans. Forty-seven percent think the Democrats are more likely to share their moral values, versus 38 percent for the Republicans.

By more than two to one, Americans see Republicans as more corrupt.

Overall, Americans have a very low opinion of Congress. Nearly seven in 10 think most members of Congress do not try to follow the same rules of behavior as most Americans, and a similar number believe most members consider themselves above the law.

President Bush continues to be a negative factor in the upcoming elections — to a degree unprecedented in previous midterm elections. Just 15 percent of registered voters say they think of their vote as being one in support of the president, while over twice as many, 36 percent, say theirs will be a vote against the president. Forty-three percent say their vote will not be about Mr. Bush.

A separate CBS News/New York Times poll finds Mr. Bush's overall job approval is down to 34 percent, a drop of three points from last month.

That poll also finds Americans are more negative than ever before about the state of the Iraq war. Just 31 percent think the war is going well, the lowest number ever in this poll; while two-thirds say the war is going badly, the highest number ever.

For detailed information on how CBS News conducts public opinion surveys, click here.

This poll was conducted among a nationwide random sample of 983 adults, interviewed by telephone October 5-8, 2006. The sample included 891 registered voters. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus three percentage points and plus or minus three points among registered voters. Error for subgroups may be higher.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/09/opinion/polls/main2074116.shtml

LoungeMachine
10-10-2006, 08:46 AM
The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - Democrats have regained a commanding position going into the final weeks of the midterm-election campaigns, with support eroding for Republicans on Iraq, ethics and presidential leadership, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Apparent Republican gains in September have been reversed in the face of mounting U.S. casualties and gloomy forecasts from Iraq and the scandal involving Mark Foley, R-Fla., who was forced to resign his congressional post over sexually graphic online conversations with former House pages.

Approval of Congress has plunged to its lowest level in more than a decade (32 percent), and Americans, by a margin of 54 to 35 percent, say they trust Democrats more than Republicans to deal with the biggest problems the nation is confronting. Fifty-five percent of those surveyed said congressional Democrats deserve to be re-elected next month, but just 39 percent said Republicans deserve to return to office.

The poll measures broad public attitudes and cannot be translated into individual House districts, but it sketches an environment that is the most difficult the Republicans have faced since taking control of Congress in the 1994 elections. By a margin of 54 to 41 percent, registered voters said they plan to vote for the Democrat over the Republican in elections next month.

President Bush's approval rating, which rose to 42 percent in September after an anti-terrorism offensive marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, registered 39 percent in the latest poll. The percentage of respondents who said they strongly disapprove of his performance is about double the number who strongly approve

LoungeMachine
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

. By a margin of 54 to 41 percent, registered voters said they plan to vote for the Democrat over the Republican in elections next month.

:D :D :D

Maybe FAUX KNEWS can get the D and R switched on the ballots

LoungeMachine
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Scandal Increases Republicans' Skid in Polls
From Reuters
October 10, 2006

WASHINGTON — Democratic candidates have a big edge on Republicans one month before elections to decide control of Congress, a flurry of new polls showed Monday, with ratings for President Bush and Congress dropping after the House sex scandal.

A USA Today/Gallup poll gave Democrats a 23-point edge on Republicans in the battle for Congress, while a CNN poll gave Democrats a 21-point lead.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll found Democrats held a 54%-41% lead in the congressional horse race among registered and likely voters, which ABC said was the biggest Democratic lead this close to election day in more than 20 years.

And a new CBS News/New York Times poll showed 79% of respondents thought Republican leaders were more concerned with politics than the well-being of the teenage pages who received lewd messages from former Republican Rep. Mark Foley of Florida.

Republicans have been scrambling to contain the fallout from the scandal and keep it from sinking them Nov. 7.

FORD
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Let's ask Mike Malloy! :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_uoQezSK_g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_uoQezSK_g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Malzberg is STILL a fucking douchebag. Even the MSNBC anchor chick thinks so.

DEMON CUNT
10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Duh!

Why do you think some of the Roth Army neocons are hiding? My poo pictures?

Nope.

It is obvious even to them that their party's leadership has let them down.

ODShowtime
10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Where is warsham lately any way? Is he an alias or lurker now?

Gee, I hope we didn't hurt his feelings and make him leave. :rolleyes:

DEMON CUNT
10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Where is warsham lately any way? Is he an alias or lurker now?

Gee, I hope we didn't hurt his feelings and make him leave. :rolleyes:

He's lurking about. I sent him a PM the other day and asked "What the fuck?" He answered with "Proper question please." I figured whatever, Bro.

Demon Cunt make Front Line no fun anymore! Me only post in sports forum!

Nickdfresh
10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Must be the NeoCon forfeit strike...

Seshmeister
10-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh DID HOUSE REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP KNOW ABOUT FOLEY’S SEXUALLY EXPLICIT E-MAILS?

Yes
62%
No
19%

I have to say that I generally take polls with a big pinch of salt.

I never answer polls do you?

Do you ever stop in the mall and talk to some asshole with a clipboard?

Secondly where are the 'Don't have a fucking clue' in this?

Do you really believe that 81% of people in the US have a strong substantiated evidence based opinion on this?

I seriously fucking doubt that.

Just sayin...

ELVIS
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I totally agree, Sesh...

ELVIS
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Hmmm...

But, what is a big pinch of salt ??

Is that like Jumbo Shrimp ??

;)

DEMON CUNT
10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I see polls as more of a barometer of opinion than an exact measurement of it.

That asshole with the clipboard is most likely some marketing douche targeting the market walking the mall.

Political polls are more a measurement of that particular point in time. That is why I find them interesting.

LoungeMachine
10-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
He's lurking about. I sent him a PM the other day and asked "What the fuck?" He answered with "Proper question please." I figured whatever, Bro.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You have got to be kidding me.....

Proper question, please??????

What a fucking complete tool :D