PDA

View Full Version : DLC posterboy Mark Warner drops out of 2008 Presidential race

FORD
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Sources: Warner Won't Run for Presidency in '08

By Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 12, 2006; 10:08 AM

RICHMOND, Oct. 12 -- Former Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner (D) is expected to announce later this morning that he will not seek the presidency in 2008, according to two Virginia Democratic sources with direct knowledge of the governor's intentions.

Warner, who has been actively exploring a presidential bid for months, has reportedly been telling associates for several weeks that he had not yet decided to run, according to Democratic sources who said Warner was concerned about the impact on his wife and three teenage daughters.

Politicians often are coy about their intentions before an official announcement, but friends of the former governor's said today that his expressions of doubt seemed more sincere than most.

"He would have brought the successes we have achieved in Virginia to the nation," said Alexandria Del. Brian J. Moran (D), a Warner friend. "This is a very personal decision. I'm sure he's making it in the best interests of his family."

A decision to abandon a presidential run could position Warner to be a vice presidential pick for the eventual Democratic nominee. Or it could allow him to seek Virginia Republican John Warner's U.S. Senate seat if Warner retires in 2008.

The ex-governor could also run for his old job again. Virginia law does not allow sitting governors to run for reelection, but does allow them to seek the office again after a four-year hiatus. Warner, who left office with record approval ratings, has expressed repeatedly that he might want the job back someday.

Warner's year-long dalliance with a run for the presidency has had its ups and downs.

A former high-tech entrepreneur, Warner has been highly successful at fundraising, topping most of the other Democratic hopefuls except New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. That fundraising ability helped propel him to the top of many lists of White House contenders in 2008.

His repeated trips to Iowa and New Hampshire and other early primary states were largely a success, as voters there greeted him with interest. He had been scheduled to travel to Des Moines again today.

But there have been difficulties as well. A New York Times magazine profile put a bizarre picture of him on the cover, prompting snickers. And national polls have consistently listed him as the choice of only one or two percent of the population, indicating how far he would have to go to become a household name.

But the biggest challenge, his advisers have said, would be selling his moderate, bipartisan message to a Democratic primary audience, especially at a time when the party is hungry for partisan success.

The biggest obstacle, according to people advising him, has always been Clinton, who is cruising to reelection and may decide in the next couple of months whether to seek the job her husband held for eight years.

People who know Warner say his wife and daughters have never been eager to see him run for the presidency. His wife, Lisa Collis, was not a prominent Virginia First Lady and often remarked to people close to her that she did not like the political limelight.

Warner went to Italy for a family vacation this summer, reportedly to have the final decision-making conversation with them. Several people close to him have said that conversation did not take place.

Warner is scheduled to make the announcement in Richmond, at the Jefferson Hotel Thursday morning.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

knuckleboner
10-12-2006, 10:56 AM
what was wrong with warner?

Guitar Shark
10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm going to copy and paste this story into the 2008 presidential candidates thread.

Too bad, Warner seemed like a potentially strong candidate.

FORD
10-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
what was wrong with warner?

You tell me. The whole point is, I know next to nothing about the guy or what he believes in, and that's the entire problem.

The DLC was shoving him down everybody's throat for two reasons...

1) Being a corporate billionaire who can raise money

2) Alledgedly a "southerner" though Virginia is barely South and he wasn't born there.

I watched one of his speeches on C-Span and heard absolutely nothing that would inspire me to vote for the guy. As opposed to Bill Clinton at the 1988 Democratic convention. Or the 2003 speech at the California Democratic Party Convention which kickstarted Howard Dean's career.

knuckleboner
10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
i follow virginia politics a little more closely.

virginia, as a whole, is definitely a more conservative state. we haven't gone blue in the presidential elections since LBJ.

warner, a democratic governor, was able to do a good job with a highly republican state legislature. he left office with extremely high approval ratings, despite the fact, or more likely because of the fact that his major accomplishment was a tax restructuring, which in many cases led to tax increases.

but virginia did have structural fiscal problems and something needed to get done. warner did it and convinced the legislature, and the people, that it needed to be done. despite the fact that many of the more conservative republicans are still saying that it was a grossly unnecessary tax hike, warner's virginia popularity remains strong.

now, i'll give you that warner's "presidential" run thus far has not been inspiring. although, it was still extremely early.

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Who the fuck is Warner? And why was this all over the news today?

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD

2) Alledgedly a "southerner" though Virginia is barely South and he wasn't born there.

Keep on putting your foot in your mouth...

FORD
10-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Look at a map, dude.....

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/travel/dg/maps/9b/750x750_unitedstates_m.gif

If I were driving out of Virginia, which would be closer? Windsor Ontario (Canada) or your hometown of New Orleans (the old "CSA")

The only reason the Confederates wanted to keep Virginia is that the politicians were too lazy to move to another state.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
You really are alot dumber than I previously gave you credit for...

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 09:45 PM
You really are alot dumber than I previously gave you credit for...

This is coming from someone who brings very little to the Army other than comments such as this. It's really very BigBlandBrian-esqe of you.

Calling Ford "dumb" with a sentance that includes "alot" is great comedy.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

Fuck you and your sister...

Ok, lets have the Christian bashing...:rolleyes:

FORD
10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

YOU bash Jesus Christ everytime you post a hateful rant like this :(

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

Fuck me and my sister? And that is Christ-like how?

Christians? Here? Where?

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh bullshit...

Your liberal, gay oriented, preconceived ideas of Christ cloud your every thought...

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
Fuck me and my sister? And that is Christ-like how?

Christians? Here? Where?

My last post was for FORD...

But, are you another message board expert on what a Christian is, should say, or do ??

FORD
10-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh bullshit...

Your liberal, gay oriented, preconceived ideas of Christ cloud your every thought...

When did I ever say Christ was gay? :confused:

And any "ideas" I have of Him, come directly from His teachings in the Gospels.

Do Christ's teachings cloud my every thought? I wish that were true, but nobody's perfect.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 10:23 PM
No, you know what I meant...

You're a gay leaning individual...

Point blank, end of story...

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
My last post was for FORD...

But, are you another message board expert on what a Christian is, should say, or do ??

You referenced the "alot" comment that I made followed with your "fuck you" comment.

Not really an expert. I can recognize a complete hypocrite like you when I see one. It's as if you never even studied the teachings of Christ.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't studies it ??

Do you studies it ??

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't studies it ??

Do you studies it ??

Nice try.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh, you corrected your mistake...

I can do that too...

I can also row a boat, canoe??

FORD
10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
No, you know what I meant...

You're a gay leaning individual...

Point blank, end of story...

You seem far more obsessed with homosexuality than I.

Er, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Unlike your repressed brainwashed self, if I were gay, I would have no problem saying so, because I know there isn't a goddamned thing wrong with being gay.

But sadly, I'm a fashion misfit, I hate showtunes and completely cringe at the sound of Barbara Striesand, I can't decorate worth shit, and I hate shopping. Worst of all, I enjoy eating pussy too much. So the homosexuals union would decline my application anyway.

No reason why that should stop your fabulous self though, sister! You're a day late, but why not come out and get it over with?

DEMON CUNT
10-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Oh, you corrected your mistake...

I can do that too...

I can also row a boat, canoe??

Then you have "alot" of mistakes to take care of.

ELVIS
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Unlike your repressed brainwashed self, if I were gay, I would have no problem saying so, because I know there isn't a goddamned thing wrong with being gay.

Oh bullshit, you would and would have a problem saying so...

A fucking PUSSY was made for a DICK!

A fucking ASSHOLE was made for SHITTING!

But sadly, I'm a fashion misfit, I hate showtunes and completely cringe at the sound of Barbara Striesand, I can't decorate worth shit, and I hate shopping. Worst of all, I enjoy eating pussy too much. So the homosexuals union would decline my application anyway.

No they wouldn't...

And dude, you haven't had any pussy to eat in all the years I have know ya...

Go ahead, apply...

:elvis:

LoungeMachine
10-12-2006, 11:52 PM
LMMFAO

Sign in

Check new threads in Front Line

Spot where the hypocritical, drunken, closet boy fucking piece of shit ELVIS has put his toe jam filled foot in his mouth........

again

Warham
10-12-2006, 11:59 PM
You referenced the "alot" comment that I made followed with your "fuck you" comment.

Not really an expert. I can recognize a complete hypocrite like you when I see one. It's as if you never even studied the teachings of Christ.

Christians aren't perfect, Cunt. I'm sure you've gleaned that from your extensive studies of the scriptures.

In fact, some of God's favorite people were some of the biggest hypocrites around. I'm sure you've studied that as well?

Warham
10-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Sign in

You mean, you actually sign out every once in a while? This is the biggest revelation in the Front Line in a long time.

DEMON CUNT
10-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Christians aren't perfect, Cunt. I'm sure you've gleaned that from your extensive studies of the scriptures.

In fact, some of God's favorite people were some of the biggest hypocrites around. I'm sure you've studied that as well?

It is not about being perfect. This is a very typical Christian excuse for poor behavior and a way to avoid responsibility for one's actions.

I'm not perfect, but I am forgiven, tee hee!

One who suggests that he wants to fuck me and my sister is hardly striving to be like Christ. Not even close.

To display a crass compassionless attitude, I would argue, is the exact opposite of Christ's teachings.

Warham
10-13-2006, 12:45 AM
It is not about being perfect. This is a very typical Christian excuse for poor behavior and a way to avoid responsibility for one's actions.

I'm not perfect, but I am forgiven, tee hee!

One who suggests that he wants to fuck me and my sister is hardly striving to be like Christ. Not even close.

To display a crass compassionless attitude, I would argue, is the exact opposite of Christ's teachings.

Who said Elvis wasn't responsible or never asked for forgiveness? Does he have to get a pass from you first?

I think you need to clamp down on all the Christian talk, since you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Why should Christians take lessons on how to be like Christ from non-Christians? Care to answer that one for me?

FORD
10-13-2006, 12:49 AM
You certainly can't say Elvis is acting like a Christian in this thread. He was even hostile to Jesus!!

Warham
10-13-2006, 12:50 AM
You certainly can't say Elvis is acting like a Christian in this thread. He was even hostile to Jesus!!

FORD, you don't act like a Christian in every thread. Every time you assume the identity of the Savior, you are breaking a commandment.

At least it's not an unforgivable sin...

DEMON CUNT
10-13-2006, 01:12 AM
I think you need to clamp down on all the Christian talk, since you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Why should Christians take lessons on how to be like Christ from non-Christians? Care to answer that one for me?

Classic Warhead, trying to censor the opinions that you do not like. Save it for the webmasters forum.

If you feel that I am mistaken take me to task. I will not hide from you for several weeks.

Christians should take lessons from Christ, not me.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 03:41 AM

Idiot, I've lived and have recently worked in Virginia. Parts south of Washington, DC are hardly like the south anymore.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Oh bullshit...

Looks like the mulleted candy-stripper was on a tear of anger tonight.

Someone needs a beer and roofies.:)

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 03:50 AM
Who said Elvis wasn't responsible or never asked for forgiveness? Does he have to get a pass from you first?

And who is a hypocrite ass such as Elvis to lecture anyone about morality? And he needs to "clamp down on all the Christian talk" because he doesn't know what he's talking about? That's never stopped you.:)

The guy who has advocated torture, and the execution of innocent people. Oh praise Jesus! What gospel was that in fraud?

Warham
10-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Christians should take lessons from Christ, not me.

Then stop berating Elvis on his Christianity. It's just an easy cheap shot from you, since you can't make any decent rational arguments for any of your positions, other than posting pics of shit, of course.

And stop with the 'hiding from me' stuff. I find you hardly worthy of a challenge, especially since you left your IQ at the door about a year ago.

DEMON CUNT
10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Then stop berating Elvis on his Christianity. It's just an easy cheap shot from you, since you can't make any decent rational arguments for any of your positions, other than posting pics of shit, of course.

And stop with the 'hiding from me' stuff. I find you hardly worthy of a challenge, especially since you left your IQ at the door about a year ago.

Nope, I'll will engage on this board as I see fit. And you will continue to avoid subjects by obsessing on the poo pics.

I will hold those who claim to be Christians or any other faith responsible or their actions. I am a proud agnostic liberal and will behave as such.

Hardly a challenge, eh? You and I both know that is not true. This is why you avoid actually arguing points and try to censor me.

Do you need a few more weeks off, cranky pants?

Warham
10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Nope, I'll will engage on this board as I see fit. And you will continue to avoid subjects by obsessing on the poo pics.

No, I can hang with you all day. You just bore me.

I will hold those who claim to be Christians or any other faith responsible or their actions. I am a proud agnostic liberal and will behave as such.

No, you'll only hold them responsible if it's an easy way to target them.

And you're right. You are behaving exactly like every other 'agnostic' I've met online.

Hardly a challenge, eh? You and I both know that is not true. This is why you avoid actually arguing points and try to censor me.

If I wanted to censor you, it's just a matter of hitting a few buttons. But that's not a 'neocon's' cup of tea.

Bring up a decent debate and maybe I'll put in the time to argue with you. Otherwise, yawn.

DEMON CUNT
10-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Warham - All bravado and no substance.

Nickdfresh
10-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh look at the Neocon Christofascist "persecution complex" come out when pressed on the incongruity of Christian doctrine, and their support of policies of offensive wars, torture, and pecuniary emulation...

BigBadBrian
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
This is coming from someone who brings very little to the Army other than comments such as this. It's really very BigBlandBrian-esqe of you.

You're comparing Elvis to me? :)

You're calling the man a genius then....Elvis, you are to be congratulated, though I don't know how much that means coming from El Retardo...Demon da Kunt. :D

Anyhow, FORD, you're all fucked up.

Virginia was not kept in the Confederacy because the South was too lazy. Read a little history, huh?

BTW Maryland and Kentucky were considered the border states, though their symapathies were with the South. Virginia also contributed a great percentage of the Southern Army and also it's leadership in the field. Robert E. Lee is undoubtedly one of the finest Generals to ever grace a battlefield...same can be said for Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson.

Anyhow, back to politics.

Kb and Guitar Shark are correct in their previous postings.

I feel the Democrats lost an extremely strong candidate in Warner.

History shows that Governors are more likely to occupy the Oval Office than any other candidate. He was also a moderate Democrate....the type of candidate the Dems need in '08.

:cool:

DEMON CUNT
10-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You're comparing Elvis to me? :)

You're calling the man a genius then....Elvis, you are to be congratulated, though I don't know how much that means coming from El Retardo...Demon da Kunt.

Sure, if a 6th grade comprehension level is your idea of "genius". You are not really known for your grasp on reality around here anyway.

The mad spammer and webmaster forum crybaby is calling me names. How cute.

Watch out FORD! Nuggets of wisdom are falling out of BigBland's ass!

BigBadBrian
10-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Sure, if a 6th grade comprehension level is your idea of "genius". You are not really known for your grasp on reality around here anyway.

The mad spammer and webmaster forum crybaby is calling me names. How cute.

Watch out FORD! Nuggets of wisdom are falling out of BigBland's ass!

That doesn't say much coming from you...one who flips burgers for a living. :D

DEMON CUNT
10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
That doesn't say much coming from you...one who flips burgers for a living.

Hardly, Junior Douchebag from Virginia Beach.

This American doesn't need to join the National Guard to make child support payments.

knuckleboner
10-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Robert E. Lee is undoubtedly one of the finest Generals to ever grace a battlefield

very true.

(though, he was also a traitor...;))

FORD
10-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
very true.

(though, he was also a traitor...;))

Beat me to it. I was just going to raise that very question.

Should Lee be regarded as a great general and a military hero when he is best known for a war that was, in fact, treason against the United States of America?

Maybe that deserves it's own thread?

Nickdfresh
10-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, his backyard did get turned into Arlington National Cemetery, so I guess he paid dearly...

FORD
10-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well, his backyard did get turned into Arlington National Cemetery, so I guess he paid dearly...

It's the least he could do, considering his war killed more Americans than any other :(

BigBadBrian
10-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Beat me to it. I was just going to raise that very question.

Should Lee be regarded as a great general and a military hero when he is best known for a war that was, in fact, treason against the United States of America?

FORD, we didn't say that REL was a great American, just an awesome battlefield commander. There is quite a difference. If the North had been able to lure REL to their side, there wouldn't have been so many military fuck-ups in control of the Armies of the North (McClellan, Hooker, et al.) and the war would have been over rather quickly.

Nickdfresh
10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
FORD, we didn't say that REL was a great American, just an awesome battlefield commander. There is quite a difference. If the North had been able to lure REL to their side, there wouldn't have been so many military fuck-ups in control of the Armies of the North (McClellan, Hooker, et al.) and the war would have been over rather quickly.

Quite contraire. Lee was a great but way-overrated General, and the North did have some real fuckups in command, it is true. But Lee had the home-field advantage, he not do so well when in Pennsylvania, or Maryland, for that matter. The South's main advantages were intelligence since they had a network of citizens that informed them on Union troop movements, the minute they lost that, they could be defeated readily...

BigBadBrian
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Quite contraire. Lee was a great but way-overrated General, and the North did have some real fuckups in command, it is true. But Lee had the home-field advantage, he not do so well when in Pennsylvania, or Maryland, for that matter. The South's main advantages were intelligence since they had a network of citizens that informed them on Union troop movements, the minute they lost that, they could be defeated readily...

I politely disagree with you, Nick. :)

REL did indeed have "the home field advantage," but that is not really saying much. The Confederates were vastly outnumbered and thrashed the North time and time again. The Battle of Chancelorsville is a prime example. Also, the South was extremely poor in industry, being mostly an agricultural region. Even so, alot of those crops withered in the field since a good portion of the men were off to war.

As for the Gettysburg campaign, Lee simply was overconfident. His men paid the price for that overconfidence.

One of the advantages of living in Virginia is that a lot of the Civil War eastern battlefields are just a short day-trip from home, as are some of the Revolutionary War battlefields (Yorktown is 45 minutes).

I had even considered once joining either a Civil War or Revolutionary War reenactment unit, but the cost is extreme.

Nickdfresh
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Lee's record whne on the offense: W0-L2