Commando
    • Oct 2004

What is with the dots on Eddies guitar?

Link

Boy did they kick ass here though.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

That was the Oakland, CA show on the Fair Warning tour. In those days Ed was making his own guitars. He would have Charvel make him a body and he would paint it himself. Ed seemed to make new guitars for each new tour in those days. He had the dotted bodied guitar you mentioned and also had another black and white guitar on that tour. Photos of the bodies without the necks are somewhere on the net. What's interesting is the guitar he's playing in the YouTube video has a Dimarzio pickup and is mounted the traditional way inside a bezel and from what I have heard, Eddie was using Laney amps live that tour because his old Marshalls were blowing up all the time and he was worried about them getting lost or stollen.

He's getting a killer tone and many VH tone junkies say it's his best live. It's just proof 90% of the sound is Ed.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Ha Ha!

Why did Mike Anthony NEVER EVER have a half decent haircut?
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
        Commando
        • May 2004

Ed was a wizard, because I had a Laney back in the eighties and could never get a tone like that. His tone was awesome during the Fair Warning tour, but the Diver Down tone was pretty weak in my opinion.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Pan Am Air Frieght lost six of Ed's old Marshalls on the second or third world tour and his famouse Super Lead was discovered in India. So he left those old amps home and said he tried Musicman and Laney amps and settled on Laneys for his live sound.

I was told Fair Warning was Laneys and that makes sense because his live sound is different even with the Frankenstrat.

From what I understand Ed was using custom cabs built in California sporting Electrovoice 12" speakers.

His recording in the studio was the Marshall and Marshall cab.

Ed just made the point there was no magic pickup or amp. He played through everything from Sound City amps to Laney amps live and his basic tone is still there.

It's just funny how some addicts have read every interview and copied EVH tottaly and spent a fortune to do so and never got there. LOL! It's like buying the same golf clubs Tiger Woods plays with and expect to play like him. Too bad, because it drove the price of old Marshalls up to the stratosphere and a lot of those old amps got butchered.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I think Ed was going with a Custom Audio Electronics rig on Diver Down and you are right, the tone is different. Apparently he used that rig through the 1984 tour up to where he started using 5150 heads.

The CAE rig would sound good some nights and sound thin on others.

Maybe just maybe, Ed's best live sound wasn't Marshall at all.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I saw Ed playing backstage one time and he was burning through a Fender amp. He had two of them in a big flight case on big coasters so they could just roll the whole works in and out.

All I know is the amp looked like a silverfaced bandmaster combo.

He was sounding great with harmonics jumping out and the whole thing.

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Great posts Nitro ... didn't know about the Laney amps on the FW tour ... most intresting indeed ...
                Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

IMO, when Ed was good, he was occasionally REALLY good. I'd venture to guess that the majority of the whole deal eminated from the non-nicotine-soaked fingers. Shit, both sets were probably stained.

He WAS that good.

Somebody post that clip of him @ the Les Paul mutual appreciation society banquet. LOL shit right there.

Nothing says "is this good enough for ya?" like showing up in front of a hall full of tuxedo'd guitar legends decked out in jeans and a tank top.

Stage manager: "Eddie...ummm...would you mind putting on a coat?"

Ed: "Why?"

Stage Manager: "Well, Mr. Paul made a habit of performing in a tuxedo and..

Ed: "MR. PAUL??? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT??? SOME KINDA CANDY BAR OR SUMPTHIN? EAT A DICK FUCKWAD...WHO'S IN THE BAND?"

Stage Manager: "Ok, it's Jan Hammer and..

Ed: "JAN HAMMER??? HAHAHA!!! DO ME A FAVOR AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!! By the way, could you go tell Mr.Candybar I wanna borrow his log guitar?"

Stage Manager: "This is pointless...."

Ed: "You got that right....just cue me when the keytar dipshit's ready."

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

eddie was just a guitar genius

Comment

• Gringo
                      Roadie
                      • Dec 2005

I just bought a Laney GH50 head...the best amp i've ever owned!
                      Do Eddie use his Peavey amps nowadays, or has he changed to another brand? Anybody who knows?

Comment

• lztom
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2004

That clip is pure magic.

What a fucking guitar player. Fuck Hendrix or anyone else. NO ONE could match that. The tone! Oh, the tone!

Makes you remember why anyone cares about Eddie Van Halen in the first place.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Toni Iommi always got great tone with Laney amps. I was listening to Ironman and in a way, I could hear a simular distortion tone on Unchained at Oakland so my intuition is Ed was burning through Laney amps that night. I might be wrong but the distortion tone is not the typical warm Marshall tone. It's more raw but in a good way.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Eddie Van Halen probably did more for tone and guitar design than anyone else. He redesigned the basics.

Hendrix was an experimentor but come on, his tone was Godawful sometimes and not very consistent.

Ed aways had good tone.

Comment

• house0paincakes
                              Roadie
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VHthe Diver Down tone was pretty weak in my opinion. [/B]

The tone Intruder was weak?

Hang 'em High was weak?

C'mon!

The little Fenders backstage were "Champs" if I remember correctly.
                              Last edited by house0paincakes; 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...