When does a drunk driving cop killer get away with murder??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

When does a drunk driving cop killer get away with murder??

Officer struck by Bush's cousin dies
    Updated 10/22/2006 10:05 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A police officer died Saturday, four days after being struck by a sport-utility vehicle driven by a federal judge, the mayor said.

Officer Dan Picagli, a 17-year veteran of the force, was hit while directing traffic in the rain Tuesday night. He had been wearing a black raincoat and a reflective vest.

The SUV was driven by John M. Walker Jr., a senior judge on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, who maintains court chambers in New Haven. He was leaving work when the accident happened, police said.

No charges have been filed.

Police Chief Francisco Ortiz said the accident remained under investigation, but officers did not feel it was necessary to test Walker for drugs or alcohol.

Walker, 65, voluntarily stepped down this month as chief judge of the court. He was appointed to the court in 1989 by President George H.W. Bush, who is a cousin of the judge.

"Officer Picagli was more than a cop," Mayor John DeStefano said in a statement Saturday. "He was someone who brought people together, who created a sense of community. He was a life enhancer to all with whom he came in contact. More than any memorial, his basic decency will keep his memory vibrant in our city."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Posted 10/22/2006 9:30 AM ET

Link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

I can't find anything anywhere alluding to Walker possibly being drunk.....

Just a hunch??

Chimpy we know was a felonious drunk driver.....

Same with Darth Cheney
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Hell, the guy's name is Johnny Walker, isn't it?
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Wonder is he ever has trouble boarding flights with that name...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Shit, I didn't even think of that. I was too busy associating him with the booze.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Is Ted Kennedy a member of the BCE too? :confused:
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

****Non Sequitor Alert****

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Why don't you think charges have been pressed (yet?)
                It's not like it can tarnish the reputation of this country any more then it's been already.

At least Johnny stepped down; may have been riots if he kept his job.
                But I wonder who'll hire him now.
                sigpic

Comment

• matt19
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                  Damn, beat me to it.

*my guns have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.*
                  Long Live Classic VH

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

SUVs Pose Greater Danger to Pedestrians
                    By Patricia Reaney
                    Reuters Oct 07, 2005

LONDON - Sports utility vehicles (SUVs) may feel safer for their drivers but they are more deadly than other cars for pedestrians, Irish scientists said on Friday.

Research has shown that the chance of killing or seriously injuring a pedestrian is two to four times higher for someone driving an SUV, or 4X4 vehicle, than a car.

"There is clearly a higher risk for pedestrians when they are struck by a light truck or SUV compared to a passenger car," Dr Ciaran Simms, an expert in mechanical engineering at Trinity College in Dublin, told Reuters.

Elderly pedestrians and children are most at risk.

In an editorial in The Lancet medical journal, Simms and Desmond O'Neill, a professor of medical gerontology at Trinity College, called for warnings on SUVs to inform buyers of the increased risk the vehicles pose to pedestrians.

They also recommended a higher road tax and called for all SUVs involved in accidents to be documented.

The researchers, who studied accidents involving SUVs to determine why they are so deadly for pedestrians, said size didn't matter.

The main problem was the height and shape of the front of vehicle. The hood, or bonnet, is higher than on cars and has a more severe impact when it strikes the centre of the body and upper legs and pelvis.

Raising the edge of the front hood or bonnet of a vehicle from 600-850 mm (24-33 inches) increases the impact by a factor of two, which results in a doubling of injuries to vulnerable parts of the body such as the head and abdomen.

The vehicles are increasingly popular. Sales of SUVs in Europe have risen by 15 percent in the last year while demand for cars has slumped by 4 percent, according to the scientists.

"In the United States, 40 percent of new vehicles are classified as light trucks or vans (many of which are SUVs)," they said in the editorial.

Elderly pedestrians are more vulnerable to the dangers of SUVs because they are weaker, less agile and may have poorer reactions which may make them less likely to avoid being struck and more at risk of suffering serious injuries and dying.

The increased height may also make it more difficult for drivers to see young children in front of or around the vehicle, according to the researchers.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

It's right the in The Constitution....

My right to keep and bear SUV's

You'll take my Range Rover when you pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands....

Comment

• scamper
                        Commando
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                        It's right the in The Constitution....

My right to keep and bear SUV's

You'll take my Range Rover when you pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands....
                        Seeing as this is America, people can drive anything they want. Maybe people shouldn't be running over each other.

Comment

• scamper
                          Commando
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-10-7/33064.html

SUVs Pose Greater Danger to Pedestrians
                          By Patricia Reaney
                          Reuters Oct 07, 2005

LONDON - Sports utility vehicles (SUVs) may feel safer for their drivers but they are more deadly than other cars for pedestrians, Irish scientists said on Friday.

Research has shown that the chance of killing or seriously injuring a pedestrian is two to four times higher for someone driving an SUV, or 4X4 vehicle, than a car.

"There is clearly a higher risk for pedestrians when they are struck by a light truck or SUV compared to a passenger car," Dr Ciaran Simms, an expert in mechanical engineering at Trinity College in Dublin, told Reuters.

Elderly pedestrians and children are most at risk.

In an editorial in The Lancet medical journal, Simms and Desmond O'Neill, a professor of medical gerontology at Trinity College, called for warnings on SUVs to inform buyers of the increased risk the vehicles pose to pedestrians.

They also recommended a higher road tax and called for all SUVs involved in accidents to be documented.

The researchers, who studied accidents involving SUVs to determine why they are so deadly for pedestrians, said size didn't matter.

The main problem was the height and shape of the front of vehicle. The hood, or bonnet, is higher than on cars and has a more severe impact when it strikes the centre of the body and upper legs and pelvis.

Raising the edge of the front hood or bonnet of a vehicle from 600-850 mm (24-33 inches) increases the impact by a factor of two, which results in a doubling of injuries to vulnerable parts of the body such as the head and abdomen.

The vehicles are increasingly popular. Sales of SUVs in Europe have risen by 15 percent in the last year while demand for cars has slumped by 4 percent, according to the scientists.

"In the United States, 40 percent of new vehicles are classified as light trucks or vans (many of which are SUVs)," they said in the editorial.

Elderly pedestrians are more vulnerable to the dangers of SUVs because they are weaker, less agile and may have poorer reactions which may make them less likely to avoid being struck and more at risk of suffering serious injuries and dying.

The increased height may also make it more difficult for drivers to see young children in front of or around the vehicle, according to the researchers.

I venture to guess that the odds my me hitting and killing someone with my Honda Civic are higher than someone getting run over with a mountain bike.

Comment

• scamper
                            Commando
                            • May 2005

That last statement was poorly written but I think you get the point. Stats suck and worry about your on ride.

Comment

• scamper
                              Commando
                              • May 2005

opps again

Comment

Working...