PDA

View Full Version : Flags of our Fathers

Ellyllions
10-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I found it to be pretty relevant to our current state of mind too.

My grandfather served in the Marines and landed at Iwo Jima. During his life, that aspect of his past was a well-kept secret. We all knew he served, we all knew he was at Iwo, but to get him to talk about it didn't happen.

Until his death, we didn't even know what rank he was. I did some research and found out that something did happen to him at Iwo and he was removed from the theatre of battle. No details on why. But he was shipped back to CA where he was placed in a mental hospital for 3 months before being honorably discharged. There are no uniforms, no medals, not even a rank bar to speak of.

This movie explains why. I cried off and on throughout the movie as I came to realize what actually took place and how our soldiers are being called "assets" instead of people. It really speaks of the human condition of war. At the same time, I was left wondering how any of it is supposed to work. If we think only of the human condition, why should we have a military and why would people serve in it? On the other hand, people serve willingly and know the possible outcome so why should any of us question the use of it?

If you have an interest. I highly recommend this film.